Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #16

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Those prices seem high, compared to eBay K100D and K200D.
You are partially right: I checked the links and many of those lower prices were for units that had problems.

07-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
You can buy a new K30 + DA18-55WR for 500U$D right now... check the price watch forum and the marketplace!
K30 would be a nice choice; however, right now I’m on a tight budget.
07-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
If you want a DSLR, any of those will be decent, but keep in mind that technology has evolved a lot since then. I don't know why old digital cameras are that expensive. For only double the money you get a brand new, never been touched camera, with modern technology and warranty (warranty is great to have) and a kit lens
If you want top-notch sensor, but it doesn't have to be DSLR, get the mirrorless Pentax K-01. Its not a DSLR, it only has CD AF (no PD AF), no viewfinder, but it has the same modern sensor as K-5, K-30, K-50. And it takes all K mount lenses. It can be found on sale for under $300 sometimes, as low as 250 for a new unit. And if you get a 40mm XS lens with it, youre golden.

Edit: Oh, and if you get something like the K200D, you probably won't outgrow it. It has just about everything, the only question is how long it will hold up, and if modern technology makes it appear outdated by comparison. By itself, it offers just about anything a photographer could need.
I agree, technology has evolved and IMHO will continue to evolve –at a much faster and perhaps, more dramatic pace. K-01 may have a lot of bells and whistles, but I want something that “feels” more like a “real” camera, not a P&S.
07-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
If you are going Pentax then APS-C is your option and buying new right now is a MUCH better option than the ones you listed. The K-30 is on firesale, as is the original K-5, and the K-01 is still around for $250ish without a lens and has an outstanding sensor in it.

If I had a friend who wanted to progress quickly in photography and wanted a Pentax I'd recommend the K-30 right now. Water resistant, excellent sensor, focus peaking, kit lens, all for <$500. The extended warranty (with a free cleaning) is a whopping $19 extra for 2 years too If I were going used I'd go with our Marketplace because we've had a good group of folks here and the gear is usually in much better shape (and accurately described) here.
I didn't think before of Marketplace and thanks for pointing this out; I will research and see what’s in there. I also appreciate the tip on KEH’s deal on its *istD.

07-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
If you are bent on used, there are typically kx and kr kits for sale here for ~250-300. Better high ISO with those.
K-r and Kx may be another alternative if I can find them at my budget’s price range.
07-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello aviduby, Welcome to the Forum!
I will add my support to the recommendations for a new K-30 instead of an older, used body. If you buy a K-30 now, you WON'T be wanting an upgrade in a few months. A few years, maybe. But it'll be brand new, with (as Doc mentioned) inexpensive dealer support, something you can't get with a used body. It's hard to put a price on the peace of mind a warranty brings.
In addition, the K-30 offers the best sensor available for Pentax bodies and most of the latest technology.
Invest in the future, not the past! At least with the camera body; Lenses...that's another story.
JMO,
Ron
After reading “yall's” feedback and some extra digging I did in the forum, I’m inclined to change strategy and keep whatever I finally buy as second camera and wait longer –and save more- to buy the “keeper”.
07-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
If you are really wanting the most capable camera and considering 6mp is enough (k100 as a possible body) you have one serious trade off. I personally would value the extra functionality of an *istD as more important at this phase than shake reduction on the K100. Get an SD to CF adaptor so you can use SD cards in the *istD. Tis will give you lots of advanced features, best flash system of ANY Pentax camera and be a great start to a system

Then look to pick up a better body when you have explored all you can do with the *istD ( I expect to see you back in abut 2 years)
I have to say your post intrigued me the most. I have to admit that before your post I didn’t even researched the *ist as an option. Then, I read some older threads –one where you commented of *istD TTL flash benefits- and as a beginner a less expensive TTL flash is a plus. I also liked the mode/setting “dial” (similar to 10D), front and back command dial and pentaprism vs pentamirror. The only –and rather important for me- drawback was that the hand grip is not as deep. Since my hands are large the “feel” and handling of this body worries me.
Can you comment on its ergonomics, mainly the issue of “hand grip is not as deep”? I have read in other posts that this issue can be a deal-breaker.

07-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
I agree with you. In my opinion good glass are investments. I just got the impression from OP’s post that he wanted to spend the least money as he can. If he actually plan on turning his first purchase around in 90 days to buy a better one then that might just cost more in the long run. I’ve nothing against the *1stD and it’s probably one of the best bet, as well as the other older bodies suggested but based on his max number, $250, he’s already within the K-x or K-r territory. K-30 was just a recommendation if he can push a little bit more.
You are right and your post made me rethink strategy, please see reply to Rbefly. Why Pentax? I know Nikkon and Cannon are the top dogs, but I’m a contrarian () and after some online research, Pentax attracted my curiosity –that simple. As for the Tamron AF (IF) 28-105mm F4-5.6, I knew that sooner or later I would end up buying a Pentax; I had also researched this forum’s lenses reviews and found 10 reviews for this particular lens with an average rating of 8.5, so, going to eBay I found and bought it for $35.00 10 days ago.
07-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I answered your same question in the other thread. My response is available there.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/visitors-center/230864-opinion-best-penta...ml#post2446308

I will add that I bought a used K100D Super with 18-55 lens for my brother about 2 years ago for $200. As you can see, the price hasn't dropped that much.

Tim
I fully agree on these cameras holding its value for a long time. At first –and as you pointed out, I was leaning on the 100D for $135.00; but now, $120 for a *istD doesn’t sound bad at all. The only thing I have to figure out is how comfortable this baby feels in my hand.
07-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #25

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aviduby Quote
I just adopted photography as a hobby, so I'm a beginner. Right now I'm interested in spending the least amount of money as possible. I intend to learn as much as I can - as fast as possible. Therefore, I want to start with a camera that I will probably outgrow within 60 to 90 days and at the same time not lose much when I resell it as I will use those proceeds to buy a keeper.
I currently own a Tamron 28-105mm 4-5.6.
Great plan, though I would say 60-90 days is too short assuming you are complete beginner.

Here are my current alternatives:

1. 200D body only - 8,000 actuations - $250.00
2. 100D super including SMC 18-55mm DA- 6,700 actuations - $218.00
3. 100D body only - 4,800 actuations - 135.00
4. Something else you may recommend if the above don’t make sense.
Any option is a good one considering your plan. I do recommend option 2. because of an extra lens. Option 1 and 2 also have SR (shake reduction), which may be useful. The lens in 2. could be a good addition if you need anything wide in your kit. Option 1. also has WR, though you have no use for it, since your lens is not WR anyway.

4. Consider K20D for better and larger viewfinder.
07-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vanyagor Quote
Great plan, though I would say 60-90 days is too short assuming you are complete beginner.

Any option is a good one considering your plan. I do recommend option 2. because of an extra lens. Option 1 and 2 also have SR (shake reduction), which may be useful. The lens in 2. could be a good addition if you need anything wide in your kit. Option 1. also has WR, though you have no use for it, since your lens is not WR anyway.

4. Consider K20D for better and larger viewfinder.
Thanks for your feedback. After reading all replies it now seems like I'm in the supermarket in the breakfast cereal isle trying to decide which one is best
07-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #27

Photos: Gallery
Btw, I completely agree with the recommendation to get the original Pentax *ist D. It has the best viewfinder of the bunch too.
07-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #28

Photos: Albums
I started with a K200D with plans to upgrade when necessary. Well, I've had that for 4 or 5 years now, and I still love it. I did just upgrade to a K-5, but I will keep the K200D for the foreseeable future. In fact, I'm passing it on to my daughter who in the fall 2013 will be taking an intermediate/studio photog class at her high school.

It seems like $250 for a K200D is a bit high, but I don't know as I haven't priced one lately. If you wanted least expensive route, I'd say go with a K200D for ~$200, then add an A 50mm f2 for $30-$40 bucks. That would get you started for super cheap. I know I spent nearly $600 for my K200D + 18-55 5 years ago.
07-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Here's my opinion on this much opinionated matter: I think it is best to go ahead and buy a K-30 because it is insanely cheap at this moment and it can last you many many years because you'll probably never outgrow it (even if you might think so at some point...).
On the other hand, if your budget is really tight, I'd go for a used K10 or *istD, those will give you much more than your money's worth and they can be found for very very cheap.
07-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Lowell Goudge: I have to say your post intrigued me the most. I have to admit that before your post I didn’t even researched the *ist as an option. Then, I read some older threads –one where you commented of *istD TTL flash benefits- and as a beginner a less expensive TTL flash is a plus. I also liked the mode/setting “dial” (similar to 10D), front and back command dial and pentaprism vs pentamirror. The only –and rather important for me- drawback was that the hand grip is not as deep. Since my hands are large the “feel” and handling of this body worries me.

Thanks again to all of you who posted.
I too have large clumsy hands, with short fingers and at first, the lack of the more pronounced and more positive grip of later bodies worried me, but I soon got used to it and found it really was not as bad as it first seemed. Keep in mind also, I used this camera a lot, in my early digital days with either a 300/4 lens plus 1.7x AF converter, or a 70-200/2.8 and 2x TC. Soninwas carrying by the "skimpy " grip with no problem, actually it has a more positive feel than it would appear from first inspection. If I can carry a 2kilo lens and TC combo with one hand on the body, I think you will also find it is no issue.

I still use the camera simply because it is a nice little camera to use with the manual focus lenses. If you choose to do the same get a split image finder it will help a lot