Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
At most of the game parks you'll probably not need binoculars, but will be useful for whales. A nice 500mm lens would do the trick nicely. A case of LBA! LOL.

South African traffic seems civilised compared to Egypt. The worst I've seen was a fully laden (15-people or more) minibus taxi on the highway in the black of night with absolutely no lights. Haven't seen a donkey cart on the road since I was a child and if you changed a tyre in the middle of the road you'd die!
Going up north and into Zululand you may see some donkey or horse carts! If you are driving at night in rural areas, watch out for cattle and other animals wandering on the roads. Warthogs are especially dangerous as they may attack your car if you bump them.

Minibus taxis will:
1) Change lanes without checking for other traffic.
2) Change lanes without indicating.
3) Move across more than one lane of traffic at once.
4) Go straight in turning lanes and vice versa.
5) Lose wheels while driving (sometimes with driveshaft attached).
6) Stop without warning.
7) Drive through stop signs and red traffic lights.
8) Pull out into the traffic flow without checking for other vehicles or indicating.
9) Do U-turns into oncoming traffic without indicating.
10) Speed or drive too slowly.
11) Drive in emergency lanes.
12) Overtake where overtaking is prohibited.
13) Break every other rule of the road I haven't mentioned and throw caution and common sense to the wind.

There are a minority of considerate and courteous minibus taxi drivers out there.

07-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
At most of the game parks you'll probably not need binoculars, but will be useful for whales. A nice 500mm lens would do the trick nicely. A case of LBA! LOL.

South African traffic seems civilised compared to Egypt. The worst I've seen was a fully laden (15-people or more) minibus taxi on the highway in the black of night with absolutely no lights. Haven't seen a donkey cart on the road since I was a child and if you changed a tyre in the middle of the road you'd die!
If I had the money, a sigma 500mm F4.5 would be on the way instead of the binoculairs
Oh well, the bins seemed like a good idea, I wanted one for birding anyway and the wife can use it in SA. We did this before and we were like a sniper/spotter team, she`ll finds it and I`ll shoot it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Chuckie Quote
Going up north and into Zululand you may see some donkey or horse carts! If you are driving at night in rural areas, watch out for cattle and other animals wandering on the roads. Warthogs are especially dangerous as they may attack your car if you bump them.

Minibus taxis will:
1) Change lanes without checking for other traffic.
2) Change lanes without indicating.
3) Move across more than one lane of traffic at once.
4) Go straight in turning lanes and vice versa.
5) Lose wheels while driving (sometimes with driveshaft attached).
6) Stop without warning.
7) Drive through stop signs and red traffic lights.
8) Pull out into the traffic flow without checking for other vehicles or indicating.
9) Do U-turns into oncoming traffic without indicating.
10) Speed or drive too slowly.
11) Drive in emergency lanes.
12) Overtake where overtaking is prohibited.
13) Break every other rule of the road I haven't mentioned and throw caution and common sense to the wind.

There are a minority of considerate and courteous minibus taxi drivers out there.
Minivan taxidrivers seem to be generally the same throughout the world
Anyway, driving at night wasn`t part of the plan but you never know.

Last edited by TenZ.NL; 07-18-2013 at 11:34 PM.
10-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, just got back yesterday from this trip. I like to thank everybody that contributed to this tread for making it a big succes
Unfortunately I didn`t make it to Hermanus, courtesy to an Avis screwup so I have no whales to show. As for the rest, everything worked out great beside some minor inconveniences.

Pics are coming, still struggling to sort and PP close to 4500 shots (which isn`t too much for me actually)
10-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Well, just got back yesterday from this trip. I like to thank everybody that contributed to this tread for making it a big succes
Unfortunately I didn`t make it to Hermanus, courtesy to an Avis screwup so I have no whales to show. As for the rest, everything worked out great beside some minor inconveniences.

Pics are coming, still struggling to sort and PP close to 4500 shots (which isn`t too much for me actually)
Thanks for visiting us here in SA!

10-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Great. Pity about Hermanus travel mishap. Looking forward to some of your image impressions of SA, and your comments on highlights.
11-02-2013, 02:51 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
Great. Pity about Hermanus travel mishap. Looking forward to some of your image impressions of SA, and your comments on highlights.
Oh well, that leaves something to be desired for the next time
I`m still in the process of sifting and sorting but you can find a few on Flickr: TenZ.NL (Struggling through 4500 pics)'s Photostream if you`re curious.

QuoteOriginally posted by Chuckie Quote
Thanks for visiting us here in SA!
Thanks, it was a huge pleasure.
Oh, and you were right. I took both big lenses but after testing the sigma 100-300 F4 with TC and no SR the results were so pleasing that the 150-500 never left my suitcase anymore.

Last edited by TenZ.NL; 11-02-2013 at 02:58 AM.