Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

funny timing on this post. Just about to sell my K100D Super on local CL....now I may want to try it out again, as it has sit unused for 4 years.

07-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first DSLR was a DL I still have and use it I upgraded to the K-30 earlier this year. It had some features I wanted. There are some things I think the DL excels at over the K-30. Like with my M lenses I still get better focused shots with the DL than I do with my K-30. Even with focus Peaking or a brighter VF I still get focus I am seriously considering a split prism screen for the K-30..
07-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
My first DSLR was a DL I still have and use it I upgraded to the K-30 earlier this year. It had some features I wanted. There are some things I think the DL excels at over the K-30. Like with my M lenses I still get better focused shots with the DL than I do with my K-30. Even with focus Peaking or a brighter VF I still get focus I am seriously considering a split prism screen for the K-30..
The AF system on the K-30 is far better than the one on the DL. Did you try AF fine adjustment?
07-11-2013, 04:34 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I just picked up a *ist Ds two days ago, because: It happened to be cheap ($75, including first generation DA 18-55. Was this a good deal?)
It was a staggeringly great deal! Good on ya!

07-11-2013, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Sorry, I didnīt mean to emphasize on FF.
You want something that doesnīt exist on Pentax land and you donīt think it will exist any time soon and at the same time, you say there is nothing you canīt do with your current equipment. Thatīs why I say "upgrades" are so to the extend of their application and automation needed/wanted/expected by the end user.
I won't argue with that, I hear what you are saying, and that was part of the point of my original post. I've kept my Ds, and will probably until it dies, and I'm keeping my K5 for the foreseeable future and refuse to be tempted by the K5 II K5 IIs etc.

It seems you are taking issue with something I have not even done yet. I did say I'm staying put for the foreseeable future. When I finally do choose what comes after my K5, it will be a decision based on wants, not needs, because as you know, my Ds would cover needs, everything else is wants. I can't help what I want, its human nature, but when it comes time, the wants will get due consideration.

If the new Ricoh/Pentax company keeps things moving in the right direction by the time I'm ready for my next camera, it will save me a lot of effort and money on lenses, etc. and I will stay put. BUT...Another long line of dissapointing bodies after the K5 II's would put me off. So far so good. It seems the K5II's are doing well and I'm thrilled to hear it. I will follow and see if what comes after the K5 II's are just as good, or if the K5II's were a fluke... my guess is that the K5 II's were designed in the time of Hoya/Pentax, and we have probably not seen the real effect of Ricoh/Pentax merger yet in actual product, since these things take so long to come to market. I'm optomistic that the new company will improve things even more.

Eric
07-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Some wisdom there about using what you need to get the job done The 6mp Sony sensors (Ds, 100D) are still my favourite as well, although I have not used the K-5 generation sensors, only those up to k-x. I do feel that K20D has the 6mp sony sensor touch though, but with lots of subtlety.
07-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
The AF system on the K-30 is far better than the one on the DL. Did you try AF fine adjustment?
The M lenses are manual focus. I only have 3 AF lenses at this time. The improved AF was one of the thing I wanted along with better low light capabilities. When it comes to Manual focus I still get better results with the DL.

07-11-2013, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
The M lenses are manual focus. I only have 3 AF lenses at this time. The improved AF was one of the thing I wanted along with better low light capabilities. When it comes to Manual focus I still get better results with the DL.
I assumed you where using focus confirmation or Catch in focus with your manual focus lenses. If thatīs the case, then AF fine adjustment will work but you have to set it each time.
If you manual focus through the viewfinder with both cameras perhaps you notice the difference because of the higher Mp count (detail) on the K-30
07-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #24
Pentaxian

So, based on this thread, I pulled out my out K100DS to see what it could do with a Sears MF 50mm. Man, those 6 MPs really suck

07-11-2013, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #25
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. They suck the light and transform it into art.

Ash.
07-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now you see Pentaxian, that alone made this post worth the effort. Still lovin' the Pentax 6MP camera's. :-)
Eric
01-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #27

Good stuff Eric and others... I'm a die-hard fan of the 6 MP CCD generation. My first DSLR was a K100D, went from there to a K-x, then to a K20D, then to a K-5. Somewhere in there, I had picked up an *ist DS and was thrilled with it. But then sold it to a friend, and missed it so much I bought a used *ist DS2. I love Pentax stuff, but my biggest beef has been auto focus performance on all the newer bodies. I ditched everything I've mentioned and kept the DS2, convinced that the CCD sensor is pure magic. With that thinking, I just recently picked up a K10D with 10 MP CCD. But unless you need to print giant poster size images, one doesn't need more than 6 or 10 MP. Specifically with the DS and DS2, you not only get that wonderful image quality from the CCD sensor, but you have an ultra small well made camera with a big bright pentaprism viewfinder. I had also picked up a KatzEye split-image focusing screen for the K20D before I sold that one, and I was thrilled to realize that screen also fit the *ist DS/DS2 bodies (as well as the K10D). But man oh man, put a nice sharp 28mm on the DS or DS2 giving you 42mm equivalent, and that's all I need most of the time. I was very happy to find this thread and read that others share my thought on this topic. ~Bob
01-10-2014, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
I guess I just wondered how many still have their original Pentax 6mp DSLR stuck in a drawer somewhere, and really have given it a proper outing lately. I have, and what struck me is how good that little thing still is.
Yep my old DL has served me well but I would miss the ISO performance of the K5 most..

...a few old DL jpg files (not RAW) from the good old days -

Last edited by wildman; 01-21-2014 at 03:21 AM.
01-11-2014, 06:33 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still take my DL out every few months . I still like the shots I get with it . I just miss a few advancements the K-30 has like faster AF in low light.
01-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I put an S-type screen in my DS, and use it for fast manual lenses and especially macros. IQ rocks. DS plus Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 = magic. I use the K5 more, for higher ISO, but when I want a really lovely shot I go back to the DS.