Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #1

old lenses compatible with the K-X

Hi everybody,
I am planning to buy a used Pentax ME super to get hold of its lens i.e. smc pentax-m 1:1.7 50mm lens.
I use the K-X and want to know whether this lens is compatible with the K-X or not?

Thanks

07-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, it will be.
07-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Any Pentax mount lens is compatible with any Pentax DSLR, including the K-x.
07-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, absolutely, I have one and it works great. Same as any K, M or A series Pentax lens. Just remember to look up the setting to enable the aperture ring and you're ready to go. With the K-x it will only work in M mode or Aperture priority. (Av) I always used M.

I think you'll like the 50mm f1.7, it's a great lens and usually gets very good comments around here. I posted a few shots taken with mine recently, here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/228837-super-m...must-have.html

07-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'll need to tell the camera to allow full-manual lenses in manual mode.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
07-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Any Pentax mount lens is compatible with any Pentax DSLR, including the K-x.
thanks
07-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
Yep, absolutely, I have one and it works great. Same as any K, M or A series Pentax lens. Just remember to look up the setting to enable the aperture ring and you're ready to go. With the K-x it will only work in M mode or Aperture priority. (Av) I always used M.

I think you'll like the 50mm f1.7, it's a great lens and usually gets very good comments around here. I posted a few shots taken with mine recently, here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/228837-super-m...must-have.html
thanks for the encouragement..

07-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This how I got my M 50 f1.4 - was cheaper than buying the lens alone.

If the ME Super is working fine then you might find it fun to put a roll of film through too! The ME Super is a pretty good camera - the view finder is such a joy to use!
07-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
any lens ever produced by pentax
07-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Don't tell them that! I almost got sucked into buying an auto 110 lens when I was a newb.
07-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Don't tell them that! I almost got sucked into buying an auto 110 lens when I was a newb.
definetely should anyway! I got 3 of them
07-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter

No, I need the 250-600, then some of the longer A* series primes.
07-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
This how I got my M 50 f1.4 - was cheaper than buying the lens alone.

If the ME Super is working fine then you might find it fun to put a roll of film through too! The ME Super is a pretty good camera - the view finder is such a joy to use!
I agree. I have an ME Super and it is one of my favorite film cameras. And, that viewfinder!!! Going from an APSC DSLR to the ME Super is like going from an iPhone screen to an iMax theater. It is ENORMOUS. And pretty bright, as well.
07-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Actually, any lens made for 35mm cameras will work. Screw mount lenses, either M42 (Spotmatic, etc.) or M37 (Asahiflex) require an inexpensive adapter.

Lenses for the Pentax medium format cameras, such as the 645, 67 or 6x7 require a rather expensive adapter, but can be made to work.

Auto 110 lenses can not easily be adapted, because the registration distance (lens mount to sensor/film plane) is much shorter on the 110 cameras.

Most third party lenses in Pentax mount work as well. There are two major exceptions: the dreaded Ricoh pin and some old Vivitar lenses.

Ricoh used a variant of the Pentax k-mount. In some of their models, there is an extra pin for lens automation, that is not present on genuine Pentax lenses. Unfortunately, this pin can become jammed in the auto-focus screw drive on a Pentax dslr. Not all Ricoh lenses have it, but be cautious when trying to mount a lens marked K/R or PK/R. The pin is easily disabled or removed and it serves no function on a dslr.

Some Vivitar lenses have a shield that protects the lens stop-down lever that is too long. When you try to mount one of these lenses, the shield hits the power contacts for the in-lens focusing motor and prevents the lens from fully seating on the camera. Again, this shield is easy to modify or remove, so that it does not interfer.
07-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I agree on the ME Super, excellent camera. I used 2 or 3 of them, all finally ended up in bad need of cleaning, lube and seals but I got some excellent pictures with them. The plain jane ME is pretty good too but I missed the full manual option.

That reminds me of a big mistake I made one day. Went to an airshow in San Antonio, brought the ME Super. I almost always used it in manual mode but in really bright sunlight I found I couldn't see the LED readouts in the viewfinder to be sure I had the exposure right, so I THOUGHT I had switched it to auto...Two rolls of film later I found out it was still in manual mode, when I happened to be standing in a shaded area, switched it and also found out everything on both rolls was seriously underexposed...developing proved it...I'm talking about 3 stops underexposed...I had been just leaving it alone, thinking it was setting the exposure for me...

I guess I just switched the lever and didn't look...should have checked it...I lost a dozen shots of the Thunderbirds, but fortunately I had to change film during their show, which is why I was in shade and found my screw up...the rest all turned out great. Do you have any idea how LOUD a Russian Mig is??? The Confederate Air Force has one...loudest thing of the whole day...