Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
First Steps into Digital Photography

Well, I did it. Over the weekend I pulled the trigger, and ordered a K10D + lens and it arrived yesterday, all safe and snuggled in an oversized cardboard box filled with those plastic air bubbles.

This was a rather significant moment. For some time now, and definitely for the past month or so, I have debated with myself as to whether or not I wanted to go digital. I've been with my little ZX-M, shooting film, being real careful to get (most of) my shots just right. But, peer pressure and some infallible advice finally pushed me over the edge. So I choose Pentax, because, for one thing it's Pentax, c'mon. Second, it's not Nikon or Canon. And I choose the K10D because, for all that it offers, the price was just right.

So, keeping in mind that this is my first ever digital SLR, I began to familiarize myself with the K10D for a few hours last evening. My first impression: SO MANY BUTTONS!

After I got over that and came out from under my desk I began to fiddle around with all the buttons and wheels. Here our my initial impressions:

1) All the aforementioned buttons. So many of them.
2) It fits great in my hand, though maybe the bottom edge of my pinky finger hangs off the bottom. Guess that's what the battery grip is for
3) I'm a little 'meh' on the weight and feel of the kit lens. I'll get used to it.
4) I tried all my lenses on except for the 50mm -M that I have. My two Sigma lenses were automatically focused for the first time in the 6 or so years I've owned them. It was neat.

I'm happy. I'll be even happier when I figure out how to take the shots exactly how I want them with this camera. I'm also looking forward to talking better shots with film camera through working with the K10D. I'm hoping this is my start down the road to taking 'better' (and more) photographs.

03-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by APEHAUS Quote
... keeping in mind that this is my first ever digital SLR, I began to familiarize myself with the K10D for a few hours last evening. My first impression: SO MANY BUTTONS!

After I got over that and came out from under my desk I began to fiddle around with all the buttons and wheels. Here our my initial impressions:

1) All the aforementioned buttons. So many of them.
You will find that they beat all those menus on the other dSLRs hands down.
[QUOTE}
2) It fits great in my hand, though maybe the bottom edge of my pinky finger hangs off the bottom. Guess that's what the battery grip is for [/QUOTE]
It really makes the camera feel good, and if you get the grip kit, you get the neat Remote F and another battery with it. You can store a spare card and the remote in the grip as well.
QuoteQuote:
3) I'm a little 'meh' on the weight and feel of the kit lens. I'll get used to it.
You should try it with a heavier lens. The heft actually feels good after a while.
QuoteQuote:
4) I tried all my lenses on except for the 50mm -M that I have.
To use the M lens, you must go into the Custom menu and set [Using Aperture Ring] to [Permitted]. You can search on the forums for threads on how to expose with the M lens.
QuoteQuote:
I'm happy. I'll be even happier when I figure out how to take the shots exactly how I want them with this camera. I'm also looking forward to talking better shots with film camera through working with the K10D. I'm hoping this is my start down the road to taking 'better' (and more) photographs.

You will be happy with this camera. It is a winner.
03-19-2008, 09:31 AM   #3

I got mine the other day too and it was a moment. I have to agree on the buttons though. I did a few pictures last night of my cats in the "green" so I cheated a bit but I love the way it feels in my hands..
03-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh, I just remembered one more:

5) The viewfinder is freaking huge and clear compared to my film camera, though I did notice the lack of a split-image/micro-prism. That I kinda liked about the ZX-M. Is this type of thing no longer necessary with digitals?

03-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What lenses did you get with it?

Over time you will discover that there are never enough buttons.
03-19-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
What lenses did you get with it?

Over time you will discover that there are never enough buttons.
The DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens.

As a side note, I just noticed that Amazon is not selling (directly) the K10D at the moment AND it's at least $50 more through some other vendor.

Last edited by APEHAUS; 03-19-2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: sticky shift
03-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You mentioned something about Sigma.

The kits lens is Ok as a landscape tool, just keep it at f8/f11 and she's happy.

03-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
You mentioned something about Sigma.

The kits lens is Ok as a landscape tool, just keep it at f8/f11 and she's happy.
It's the Pentax lens it came with. I own a Sigma 28-105mm Aspherical IF f/3.8-4.0 and a Sigma 70-300mm DL Macro Super f/4.0-5.6 (or something like that).
03-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
I got mine the other day too and it was a moment. I have to agree on the buttons though. I did a few pictures last night of my cats in the "green" so I cheated a bit but I love the way it feels in my hands..
I agree with you re the way the K10D feels in my hands. I will not lift up that Canon 40D nor the Nikon D200 beacue it is so bulky. This K10D is fully loaded and yet feels so great in my hands and also easy (light) in my pocket; thanks to Pentax's creative design.
03-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by APEHAUS Quote
5) The viewfinder is freaking huge and clear compared to my film camera, though I did notice the lack of a split-image/micro-prism. That I kinda liked about the ZX-M. Is this type of thing no longer necessary with digitals?
Still nice if you want to manual focus, but no longer the default. The K10D has a focus screen which is designed to be replaceable, and a company called "Katz Eye" sells some well-regarded split-image focusing screens. There's also some much cheaper Chinese-made eBay versions.
03-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Still nice if you want to manual focus, but no longer the default. The K10D has a focus screen which is designed to be replaceable, and a company called "Katz Eye" sells some well-regarded split-image focusing screens. There's also some much cheaper Chinese-made eBay versions.
I'd be interested in that, I've seen talk of the other screens on these forums as well.
03-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Okay, spent some time just pressing all the buttons:

ISO 800
1/250
f/5.6
03-20-2008, 12:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Apehaus, welcome to the ranks of K10D users! In addition to the good advice given above, I urge you to RTFM above all else. Try reading a section at a time, then read through again with the camera in your hands, and try out the options as you read about them. Combine that with your experimenting "in the field" and you'll get the hang of the camera soon. Then the real learning process can begin!

BTW, love the Murdoc avatar!
03-20-2008, 07:42 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
Apehaus, welcome to the ranks of K10D users! In addition to the good advice given above, I urge you to RTFM above all else.
Working on that. I have the PDF version here at work, too.

QuoteQuote:
BTW, love the Murdoc avatar!
Thanks!