Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #1

K200d wierd problem

hi people!
since I read this forum for so long, now I must ask for your help

I have K200 which is acting weird...everything works fine, but when I take pic, it has some random strange colors and lines over it...
I've tried on several SD and SDHC cards, even upgraded my firmware again to 1.01, but the problem is still present

so, what can it be wrong...my sensor or something else on main board?
does anyone have same problems on any other Pentax DSLR?

BTW it has only 9500 shutter clicks

here's the sample as attachments

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
07-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If nobody on PentaxForums has seen this before you can ask a Pentax repair service for advice, sending them this photo.

Your K200D has a low shutter count, but it is already quite old. Some electronic parts in the circuitry for processing the image from the sensor could be at fault, notably electrolytic capacitors are aging relatively fast. The lifetime of a camera is also reduced when exposed to high temperatures and humidity for extended periods of time.
07-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That looks like a failure on the sensor itself, most probably. Itīs more expensive to repair it than buying another camera.
07-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #4

Original Poster
today I have disassembled K200 and found no visible damage on any component...btw I've unplugged the sensor cables and tried to take a shot..and guess what, image is messed up like before...
so I think that there's no problem with sensor.
and I must agree with Kobayashi.K that there's some failure in the circuits for processing the image (maybe components, maybe ICs)

BTW I'll try to contact several Pentax services to get more info and post it back.

p.s. guess I'm the only one here with this kind of problem

07-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The EXIF shoows camera body temperature to be 34 degrees C in that shot. Maybe the CCD sensor doesn't like doing high ISO at that temperature.

What happens if you shoot the camera at a cool ambient temperature, point it at a bright scene, set the camera to P mode, turn off any adjustments to EV or anything, and limit the highest ISO to ISO 400?

Otherwise it is a camera made in Oct 2008, so it's almost 5 years old now. Perhaps some of the body circuitry has failed somewhere due to oxidation or shock, or been subject to a voltage spike or static charge. Cameras usually don't lead a sheltered life.
07-13-2013, 03:33 AM   #6

Original Poster
ok...now it getting more weird..
when i set it to P mode, ISO 100, and Manual WB, pics are looking good (ok, the have some lines across but you can see something). When I shoot through my window, pics are fine, when it gets more darker pics are messed up...
so, I found out that when I use camera AWB, pics are terrible....when it's set to Manual WB, it's ok..
this reminds me of one problem that I have with my PC, ColorProfile was getting to be stupid and every white picture was in pink tones...when I changed default CP it all came back to normal...

first two pics are comparison with ManualWB and with AWB
third pic is in darker side of the room also MWB
fourth pic is in darker room with flash and MWB

is there some kind of WhiteBallance controlling IC or is the main CPU doing all the calculations from sensors?

Forgot to tell...there were no oxidation on elements inside body, no voltage spikes or static charges impact camera, ih has been stored in normal temperatures and humidity ratings...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
07-13-2013, 04:05 AM   #7
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you're looking at a sensor fault. Note that in auto white balance the sensor is used for measuring the color temperature, so if the sensor is bad, you get a bad reading and AWB will be set wrong.

And your MWB images also displays bad colors and stripes.

As others suggested it could be cheaper to replace the camera than having it fixed. The K-30 is discontinued and available new at a low price. A second hand K-5 could also be an option. You may want to check out the marketplace on this forum.

07-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #8

Original Poster
I have other Pentax dslr..it's Kx and I'm pretty happy with it, but I only try to see if I can fix K200d for small amount of money, and I really wouldn't invest something more in it than 30$

BTW, Ole, when i disconnect the sensor and take image, I have all those discolorations and lines, so I think it's not sensor fault?!

Last edited by MarioWario; 07-13-2013 at 12:12 PM.