Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

AA battery tray for Battery Grip BG-4

I also posted this in the Wanted section. I recently purchased the K-5ii and also a used battery grip. Unfortunately the salesperson didn't tell me that I would get only the Li battery tray. I assumed that it would come with both. The problem is that I can't find just the AA tray for the grip. I've checked with Pentax to see if they sell it ( I would assume they could get broken and would need replacing), I looked on e-bay and could not find any. The other problem is that the Pentax battery D-L190 is also unavailable at Pentax or it seems anywhere else. Without an AA tray or the Li battery, the battery grip is just a grip. My other option is to get a non-Pentax battery. Does any one have a suggestion for a good, reliable brand. I've seen a few on the market, with lower mAh storage than the Pentax and all with mixed reviews

07-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Pentax D-LI90 and Pentax 645D, K-01, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-7: Camera & Photo

These are as good as the Pentax batteries from my experience. For $26.99 you get two batteries and a charger that is a lot more convenient to use, since you just plug it into the wall instead of having to use a cord like the original one.
07-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Pentax grip, as well as the non-Pentax grip I owned, came with 2 trays. Did you buy a genuine Pentax grip D-BG4?

Another vote for the Wasabi battery + charger combo. For around $25 I got 2 batteries and a charger. The batteries are as good as rhe OEM and the charger is better, great deal IMHO.
07-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's a genuine Pentax grip, but the salesperson at Adorama didn't tell me that the used model only came with the one tray. The grip works because I placed the camera battery in it to check it out. Now I just need a battery for it. The AA tray would have been easier to deal with. I'll check out the Wasabi battery.

07-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

There are versions of the aftermarket grip whose trays are compatible with the original. I believe this is the case for the aftermarket versions with metal pins.

If you were so inclined, you could buy an aftermarket version, keep the AA-tray and sell the aftermarket grip with just the D-LI90 tray.
07-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
There are versions of the aftermarket grip whose trays are compatible with the original. I believe this is the case for the aftermarket versions with metal pins.

If you were so inclined, you could buy an aftermarket version, keep the AA-tray and sell the aftermarket grip with just the D-LI90 tray.
Yes, but stay away from the MEIKE grip as its trays are definitely NOT compatible (the grip is great and other than being non-WR a terrific buy).
07-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Bought the Wasabi battery from Amazon a couple of days ago. Got it today. Fits and works in the camera, grip and charger perfectly. Battery came almost fully charged. Placed it in the charger to make sure it is fully charged. Now it is in the grip. I now have a dozen lithium AA batteries that were suppose to be used for the grip (grip uses 6 batteries, they come in 4 packs and I wanted 2 sets), but now they will be used in the flash.

07-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #8

Read this thread and liked what I read about the Wasabi battery from Amazon. But I live in Europe and they don't ship to my country "We are not able to ship this item to your default shipping address.". I then searched for it on eBay but the eBay seller only ships to UK. Strange that it's not possible to buy for the rest of Europe. Do you know any other seller who will ship to Sweden?
07-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Try Bluenook.com. That's the company that my battery came from, even though I ordered through Amazon. Perhaps they can mail it to you directly. I looked at the German Amazon site, but didn't see that battery. My German is rusty and even with the Google translation, I didn't see anything. Maybe Wasabi doesn't sell in Europe.
07-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I pretended to place an order with them using Sweden as my destination and using the postal code for my cousin who lives in Sweden and it seemed to work. I didn't get a message that they couldn't send there. I only went as far as the registration page. Perhaps after that, they tell you that they don't ship there. Try it.
07-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
Forum Member

markf:
Don't know how valid this is today but check this link:

K-7 Battery Grip Replacement Parts | Pentax Support

According to bluenook's website they do ship internationally so it looks promising siamthai.
07-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I talked to Pentax before I bought from Amazon. I think that's the number I used. The woman said that the battery is on back order and she didn't know when they will be in. She had no idea about the change in battery. I asked about the AA tray and she said that they don't sell them. I asked if someone broke one and needed a replacement, how would they get one. She didn't have an answer and said she would check with the corporate office and get back to me. That didn't happen. I'll try calling again later this week. Thanks!
'

Last edited by markf; 07-20-2013 at 08:21 AM.
07-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Same Number

I have tried that number before. I recognize the voice. They tell you that they are busy on another call, so leave a message and they will get back to you. I left a message, but received no reply.