Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does a WLAN and/or GPS system exist for the K20D?

The Remote Assistant is a great tool but due to the limits of USB cable I would prefer a WLAN system for my camera. Also, when travelling abroad one misses the GPS information for my EXIFs...

These are the few most important accessories for the K20D I'm looking for (at least I can't find any information about them). Does anyone know if such accessories exist for the K20D or if Pentax (or some third party) will be making them in the future?

03-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

wirelessly, there's the eyefi SD cards -- but they only support JPG files, and you can't control the camera via them. as for GPS, there's lots of software out there that can add GPS coordinates.. Sony makes a unit that simply figures out where it is, every few minutes, and any camera you use can be imported into their program, and it will look at the time, and figure out where on your trek it was taken.
03-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How about this device? It's just a specialized GPS that has software to geotag your shots after the fact.

Lots of the newer cell phones have GPS built in, and you can probably find a program that will use the data from your phone. I have the Nokia N95 and there are lots of geotagging programs. I just haven't taken the time to set it up yet.

Ahhh, I see you're from Finland. I imagine you've heard of Nokia before.
03-20-2008, 03:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

When abroad, I have a GPS with me. It runs the whole day and saves the track in GPX files (xml file format with the GPS coordinates). Just make sure GPS and camera have the same time.

Bak at home, there are several softwares which allows to geotag the photos in the EXIF part by comparing the time the photo was taken with the time in the GPX files. I am using robogeo for that and it works pretty well.

Most photos under South Africa Photo Gallery by Dominique Schreckling at pbase.com and Egypt 2007 Photo Gallery by Dominique Schreckling at pbase.com are geotagged that way.

Just make sure the GPS saves the coordinates with date and time to GPX files (a Garmin GPSMAP60CSx does it) and set the same time on GPS and camera.

03-20-2008, 05:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
How about this device?
Well, "this" device is just a re-labelled up-priced version of the original XaiOX iTrackU Sirf III .

I happen to use it with great success (*). Freeware needed is "gpsbabel" and "geosetter". The first creates proper gpx (including height info), the second processes RAW files in a great way.

Enjoy

--
(*) It features bluetooth (so you can combine it with PDA navigation), and auto ON/OFF with a motion sensor switching it on again when you move. So, you put it into your photo bag in the morning and forget about it until you go sleeping...
03-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Well, "this" device is just a re-labelled up-priced version of the original XaiOX iTrackU Sirf III .

I happen to use it with great success (*). Freeware needed is "gpsbabel" and "geosetter". The first creates proper gpx (including height info), the second processes RAW files in a great way.

Enjoy

--
(*) It features bluetooth (so you can combine it with PDA navigation), and auto ON/OFF with a motion sensor switching it on again when you move. So, you put it into your photo bag in the morning and forget about it until you go sleeping...
Looks cool, but I didn't see a price anywhere. How much does this cost?
03-20-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
f8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Looks cool, but I didn't see a price anywhere. How much does this cost?
Says here that it'll cost ~100€.

And at eBay it sells around ~50£.

Difficult to find that one from the Interweb, though...

And guys, thanks for the heads up(s)! I had read about these kind of gizmo's but that's it. I'll definitely look for one these...

03-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

This one looks kinda neat because it'll tag your pictures on the SD card without needing to hook it up to your PC:

ATP Photo Finder
03-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
This one looks kinda neat because it'll tag your pictures on the SD card without needing to hook it up to your PC:

ATP Photo Finder
The only downside to that is that it works on .jpgs only, no RAW.
03-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by f/8 Quote
Says here that it'll cost ~100€.

And at eBay it sells around ~50£.

Difficult to find that one from the Interweb, though...

And guys, thanks for the heads up(s)! I had read about these kind of gizmo's but that's it. I'll definitely look for one these...

Well, if that's the case, then the one from ThinkGeek is cheaper at $119 given the current exchange rates. Anyway, I'll just use the GPS in my phone. The shareware linked to above should be useful, though.