Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #1

DOF preview not working

So I was playing around with my K10D. I turned the main dial to see DOF preview and it activated the shutter. I was trying to use the Digital DOF. The optical works fine. Did I do something wrong? Or does the optical DOF take a "pre picture" and display it?

Last edited by madisonphotogrl; 03-19-2008 at 07:34 PM.
03-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Read the K10D manual

Go under Menu > Custom Setting > scroll to page 5/6 and look at Preview Method. If you hear the shutter and see no image on the LCD, your camera is in Optical Preview (used to assess depth of field in the viewfinder). Change it to Digital Preview. The next time you flip the preview switch, you'll see an image on the rear LCD.

I think you should strive to search for this information by reading the K10D manual thoroughly first. Page 169 to 171.
03-20-2008, 05:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
So I was playing around with my K10D. I turned the main dial to see DOF preview and it activated the shutter. I was trying to use the Digital DOF. The optical works fine. Did I do something wrong? Or does the optical DOF take a "pre picture" and display it?
I assume you mean "digital" in your last sentence. And yes, that's exactly what it does. It's particularly useful if you turn off automatic review of taken pictures (to save battery life and to reduce the distraction while shooting). It's an easy way to quickly check if your exposure and white balance settings are right, without then having to hit play and then delete and confirm.
03-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

IMNSHO, the digital preview is utterly useless. Just take a picture if you want to see how it comes out. If it comes out well, great! There's your picture! If not, delete (or not), adjust appropriate settings, and take another picture. With digital preview, if the "preview" comes out, then you STILL have to take the actual shot (hopefully bigfoot hasn't run away by this point )

Optical Preview (aka DOF Preview) can be very useful though.

03-20-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
IMNSHO, the digital preview is utterly useless. Just take a picture if you want to see how it comes out. If it comes out well, great! There's your picture! If not, delete (or not), adjust appropriate settings, and take another picture. With digital preview, if the "preview" comes out, then you STILL have to take the actual shot (hopefully bigfoot hasn't run away by this point )
Apparently the K20D lets you save your preview shot if you want, thereby saving your bigfoot image and further blurring the distinction.

But like I said, I do find it handy, since it saves the press of the play button (even if you don't decide to delete it).
03-21-2008, 06:29 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Go under Menu > Custom Setting > scroll to page 5/6 and look at Preview Method. If you hear the shutter and see no image on the LCD, your camera is in Optical Preview (used to assess depth of field in the viewfinder). Change it to Digital Preview. The next time you flip the preview switch, you'll see an image on the rear LCD.

I think you should strive to search for this information by reading the K10D manual thoroughly first. Page 169 to 171.
WOW I wouldn't have thought to look at the manual.. LOL. I did go to the manual first but I was confused. I did figure it out on my own, i thought, and came here to confirm.
03-21-2008, 06:32 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I assume you mean "digital" in your last sentence. And yes, that's exactly what it does. It's particularly useful if you turn off automatic review of taken pictures (to save battery life and to reduce the distraction while shooting). It's an easy way to quickly check if your exposure and white balance settings are right, without then having to hit play and then delete and confirm.
thank you Matt. I agree the digital preview is sort of pointless but I do like the optical DOF preview.