Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #31
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I still have my *ist Ds - use it mostly as a camera to hand to my son when we are out and about. I kept it as my backup/second camera. I also have my SF-1 and three Fujic* film SLR's. In fact the Ds is using the lens that came with the SF-1 and when I get around to shooting the 6 rolls of slide film I have in the fridge - the FA 50 f1.4 will fit quite nicely on the SF-1.

I still have my first camera - a Petri 35mm rangefinder too. Old cameras, I can not give them up.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

03-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #32
Veteran Member

first dslr> ist ds...love that camera and still ttake it with me when i go out on a location....but mostly use the k10d now......
03-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I'm pretty much exclusively a K10D user now but I have and use my *ist DL...just used it on Thursday. It's also my backup. I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon. Why!...it's a great camera! And it works with all my lenses.
03-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Still use my DS, mainly as a backup to my K10D, but also to take to work with me for use at lunch (I wont take my K10D to work if I can help it).

Also, I have find that on the whole the DS is better suited to my Manual lenses than the K10D, I like the beep you get when in focus on the Manual lenses, which my K10D does not seem to have.

03-22-2008, 01:10 PM   #35
Veteran Member

One of the runner ups in the National History Museum's wildlife photographer of the year competition took his shot with an *istD...

Shell Wildlife Photographer of the Year - Online gallery

The large version they have in the gallery at the museum is very impressive... and perfect proof that 6 mpixels really is enough!
03-24-2008, 07:35 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
One of the runner ups in the National History Museum's wildlife photographer of the year competition took his shot with an *istD...

Shell Wildlife Photographer of the Year - Online gallery

The large version they have in the gallery at the museum is very impressive... and perfect proof that 6 mpixels really is enough!
You just made me more happy with the ist D...
Very nice photo BTW...
03-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #37
Veteran Member

What size is the large version they have in the gallery?
03-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #38

I'm a hobbyist but I'm still using my DS and love it, but lately I've contemplated upgrading to a K10D or even the K20D. I would love a camera with SR and a larger LCD, not to mention a few of the other niceties that would come with one of those cameras. Maybe in a few years....but for now the DS is a nice little camera and I love the fact that it takes CRV3's or AA's.

03-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MacGirl Quote
for now the DS is a nice little camera and I love the fact that it takes CRV3's or AA's.
Yeah, that's why I love my DL. The camera size and AA battery support is just perfect for casual use. I have had situations that my battery went dead and all I had to do is to stop at nearest convenience store to pickup 4-pack of alkaline AAs.
03-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well my K20D came in on the Thursday before Easter, so I've sold my istDs already to a mate's girlfriend, can't afford to keep a backup. It'll be sad to see it go.
03-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Took out the DS the other day. It feels so tiny compared to the K10 with a grip. I am thinking of selling it but just now I will never get enough to make it worth selling. I may put a card in and take it for a spin this weekend for old time sake.
03-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
What size is the large version they have in the gallery?
Looked to be somewhere between A3 and A2 to me, don't know the exact dimensions. The picture looked absolutely fine at this size.
03-24-2008, 10:21 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I still use my DS for the same reason as Pat's . It's a nice back up though . Very good camera. I use it for low light shot . Next will be IR project with it . Much less exposure time than with K10D .
04-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #44

I keep the body grip on my K10, so it's not the camera I want to handhold for neighborhood walkaround. For that the DS with lithium AAs is perfection. When my wife and I are taking pictures together, she gets the DS and does not complain. Also, I have SMC Takumar 28, 35, 50 and 135mm lenses from 1972, and they are quite happy to be mounted on the DS.
04-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #45

*ist DS

The DS is my first and only DSLR. I have no plans to upgrade whatsoever. I am in love.