Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How many of you are still using the first generation *ist DSLRs?

My first DSLR was and still is Pentax *istDL. I was thinking of upgrading to K100D Super for their SDM and SR capability but because I do not own any SDM lenses I just figured it would be a waste of $$$ that I could spend on lenses and accessories.

So how many of you are still using the first generation of *ist digital bodies? Just asking because I noticed here on the forum that most either mention K100D or K10D in their posts. The older bodies are not mentioned that often even there are plenty of models (D, DL, DL2, DS, DS2?)

03-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Still happily shooting a DL - it's now my wife's (she doesn't use it much) since I bought the K10D but when I go out on a shoot, I take it with me as a backup. Saves changing lenses.

Nothing wrong with updating for SDM support tho, 'cos you might just buy a DA*50-135 someday.

Maybe there is another insidious disease called CBA??? (Camera Buying Addiction) i.e. nice to have the latest and greatest.
03-19-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wife & I are still shooting with the DS & DL and no immediate plans to upgrade quite yet.

If I was to, it would probably be to the K200D because of the batteries.....but what on earth am I going to do with 3 bodies???

No hurry and I wouldn't mind seeing what Samsung are up to either.

Cheers
Grant
03-20-2008, 12:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still using my DS,but I dropped it last year and the thumbwell settings are erratic,on a good day. Probably cheaper to replace and I'm looking at K200D or perhaps the K20D,but I'm in no hurry.

03-20-2008, 01:19 AM   #5

I'm normally a GX-10 user but just bought a *ist DS a couple of months ago, specifically for infrared use.
03-20-2008, 01:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have replaced today my trusty and much loved *istDs with a K20D. I already have someone interested in buying my Ds! The Ds is wonderful and I still love it, but I have been saving for a while and had always thought I'd skip a generation (the K10D).
03-20-2008, 02:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

First DLSR was the Nikon D1, which i still have and use. First Pentax Dslr was the istD.

I still have it as back up to the K10D and using if for IR shots.

Dave

03-20-2008, 02:48 AM   #8
Inactive Account

My *istDS is still going strong but I will probably succumb to CBA and upgrade to the K20D.

I believe that the *istDS is probably the most underated DSLR, it certainly deserved a lot more market recognition for what it offered compared to the competitors of its day.

I would daresay there are a lot more original owners of the *istDS & *istDL still enjoying their cameras today compared to the canon 350D & nikon D70.
03-20-2008, 03:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
I believe that the *istDS is probably the most underated DSLR, it certainly deserved a lot more market recognition for what it offered compared to the competitors of its day.
Hell yeah! That was my choice too, and basically there was no choice!
03-20-2008, 03:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Since I "upgraded" to K100D Super my DS doesn't get used much. Only when I need flash on camera (for now I only have AF500FTZ). Other than that Im' sold to SR that makes Av mode more useful.
In my opinion K100D's only advantage is SR and SDM. Everithyng else is worse than DS:
-Build quality
DS has better rubber on the grip and it goes all the way to lens mount. I was never afraid I'll drop ma camera when walking arroun with it in the right hand. Card door has a spring release that seems it could last forever whereas the K100D doors are oushed in and out and the plastic latch does wear off.
-Viewfinder
At first pentamiror of K100D looks like a small compromise compared to pentaprism in DS but with time I really started to appreciate pentaprism.
-Display
Despite being smaler the DS display allowed better evaluation of exposure. I could check details in shadows and highlights by tilting the camera. Can't do that on display that looks the same from all directions.
03-20-2008, 04:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first DSLR was an *istD, bought within months of it first being available, in Dec 2003.

It is not only a back up to my K10D, but because of functional differences, a very important part of my overall kit.

The *istD and DS have a very important feature for users of older lenses, specifically K mount and M42 mount. These two bodies support TTL flash, and therefore can be used with flashes such as the AF5000FTZ to provide excellent flash exposure with the older lenses. Bodies after the *istDS cannot support TTL flash, and as a result, you are limited to Auto mode if your flash supports it, or manual flash.

The *istD also has much better metering for K mount lenses than the K10D

When you combine these two features plus add ISO 3200, the *istD has a lot of things to offer, as a second body, not just a back up, to the K10D.

My *istD, plus AF500FTZ get used quite a lot for wild life, along with my SMC-300mm F4 and 1.7x AF TC. I have previously posted results with this combination, in addition to night shots and low light shots
03-20-2008, 05:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
I would daresay there are a lot more original owners of the *istDS & *istDL still enjoying their cameras today compared to the canon 350D & nikon D70.
And it will continue...

Just upgraded my DS to K20 but I am sure I will keep the DS+40mm Ltd. combo as my toy of choice when going hiking etc. It is just so cool to see it fit into a pocket.
03-20-2008, 05:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Although I have a K10 I do use my DS when traveling for a 2nd body. In Alaska last summer I basically had my 400mm stuck to my K10 and my Sigma 17-70 on my DS. This let me limit the amount of lens switching I had to do when would have been a real pita with the varying types of things to shoot. Anyway I had no concerns using the DS and I love the photos that it took.

John
03-20-2008, 05:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have 2 - the main and the backup. I luv my istD
03-20-2008, 06:30 AM   #15

I bought the DS as my first digital, am now using it every day at work for product shots. It's also my trusty backup for the K10.

BTW - dropped the DS off tripod from 4 feet. Shattered the mount on the lens (Sigma, plastic mount), but camera still works great.