Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DS is a backup to the K20/10Ds. It works well for IR and ttl flash use. Smaller than either K camera it is a good P&S size camera. The builtin flash died years ago and the rubber grip has stretched but it still keeps on shooting. Not worth much money so will just keep using it. Today it was the "boat" camera. The whole area is flooded after 10+" of rain in one day.
thanks
barondla

03-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #17
Pentaxian

*ist DL

The *ist DL is my main camera.

I got it VERY lightly used last year, when it was still for sale new in stores beside the K100D and K110D. I couldn't see the difference between the K110D and the DL, so I saved a couple of hundred dollars buying the DL. It was about 6 months old, with 300 or 400 shutter actuations(!)

I love the camera. It feels great in the hand. For most purposes 6mp is more than enough. Many of the features remain very current (i.e. 2.5" screen, USB 2.0, etc.)

I have considered adding a DS, to get the Pentaprism and TTL flash. Ironically, the TTL flash and AA batteries make the DS more attractive to me than the K10D. The K20D is a fantastic machine, but it doesn't make me regret my DL.

I expect to use the DL for quite a few more years. Upgrading will likely happen when the DL stops working. I bought a camera that works the way I like and produces prints of a quality and size that I can be proud of (8x10s are stunning -- I haven't printed bigger yet, but I'm sure I could). What else do I want from a camera? If I want more, it's just my CBA acting up!

Dave
03-20-2008, 09:02 AM   #18
Inactive Account

I had the original *istD that I got about 5 months after it came out. When I got the K10 I held on to the ist until it was obvious I wasn't going to use it any more, then sold it to my father-in-law. I got the K20 when it showed up at my local shop and figured I would return it if I didn't think it was worth it. I didn't return it. This time I will be keeping my K10. The two are almost identical so they work in tandem very well. I work mostly at low ISO and both have similar performance there.

As far as the *istD, I don't really miss it. It took a lot of great photos for me, but the newer ones are weather resistant, have larger screens, have SR, etc. I have fond memories of it, just like I do for my MZ-S, PZ-1P, and ME Super, but I have moved on.
03-20-2008, 10:19 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'll be using my beloved Ds to the very end, to the last loud click of the shutter, that sweet sound of the tool I love so very dearly. I can't think of selling it although there's been much interest. It's my camera, it is a part of me.

Got the K20D yesterday. It is wonderful, simply wonderful. Thank you Pentax, thank you, thank you.

03-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, I have never thought that so many users still have the early *ist cameras. This came as a shock after reading all the posts where people praise their K100Ds and K10Ds.

Thanks to all for replying.
03-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pshphoto Quote
I bought the DS as my first digital, am now using it every day at work for product shots. It's also my trusty backup for the K10.

BTW - dropped the DS off tripod from 4 feet. Shattered the mount on the lens (Sigma, plastic mount), but camera still works great.
you obviously don't know the guy that complained the K10D wasnot pro quality because he broke the LCD when he dropped it during a shoot
03-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
As for me, I still use my *ist dl. Last year we bought my wife a K100 and I use it sometimes not very often. Wade

03-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
So how many of you are still using the first generation of *ist digital bodies? Just asking because I noticed here on the forum that most either mention K100D or K10D in their posts. The older bodies are not mentioned that often even there are plenty of models (D, DL, DL2, DS, DS2?)
I'm still using a *ist D, currently it's all I have though I did still use it quite extensively when I owned a K10D (didn't help that the K10D was in for service for a great part of the time that I owned it).
03-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I've had & still have a *istD since January of '04. My son and daughter-in-law graced the family with the first female child in 4 generations on January 1st this year.

He wants to upgrade from a P&S after seeing some of the shots I did of my grand daughter with the *istD. So, rather than having him buy a new camera that he may decide he really won't use much I'm going to give him the *istD and I'm going to upgrade to a K20.

If he decides he'd rather have a different camera I'll take the *istD back from him. Sounds like a win-win for everybody.
03-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #25
Inactive Account

I have been using the ist D for over two years with a Tamron 18-200 lens, I just don't like to change lens on this camera body. I really like the hper program mode. I also have the K10D which I use the Pentax 24-90, which is my favorite lens, also Pentax 16-50 and 50-135. These are lens I usually use.
03-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #26

I use my DL daily. I hope to be getting a K10 in a couple of weeks and the DL will be a second camera. No sense in getting rid of it when it gets the job done just fine. I do wish it was sealed though...
03-21-2008, 02:34 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Just because the recent models are praised, doesn't make the 'older' models 'not good'.
03-21-2008, 03:59 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Interesting thread. Seems most of you keep their ist as a back up.

I have an ist D since dec 2004. Last year I bought me a K10, but I saw that I was returning to the D. To make long stories short: sold of the K10 and bought me a second D.

As long as pentax is not releasing a real successor to the original ist D, I'm going to stay with that...

You may also be interested to read this...
03-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Just because the recent models are praised, doesn't make the 'older' models 'not good'.
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
Interesting thread. Seems most of you keep their ist as a back up.

I have an ist D since dec 2004. Last year I bought me a K10, but I saw that I was returning to the D. To make long stories short: sold of the K10 and bought me a second D.

As long as pentax is not releasing a real successor to the original ist D, I'm going to stay with that...

You may also be interested to read this...
I still own my original *istDS and its twin I purchased 5 months after because I got tired of cleaning dust off the sensor. Having a wide/normal on one and something longer on the 2nd body makes life a lot less frustrating.

When the K10D joined the family shortly after its release, I considered selling one of The Twins. I couldn't bring myself to do it. For about 10 seconds, I considered selling both to help fund my leap onto the K20D bandwagon--but I quickly came to my senses. The Twins will live out their useful lives in my service and receive a proper burial with all due ceremony.
03-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yonnie Quote
The Twins will live out their useful lives in my service and receive a proper burial with all due ceremony.
I hope for you later rather than soon, as I have to burry one of my D's when it had crashed. Man, that still hurts. It was my first D which had served me faithfully for over two years... :ugh: