Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New To Pentax DSLRs (k100d)

Hey All,
I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say "hey" I'm coming here as a Fuji bridge cam owner and just purchased the K100D on Ebay with lots of accessories (the price was too good to pass up) Pentax K100D digital SLR - Pentax K1000 + Lot of EXTRAS - eBay (item 200208485557 end time Mar-17-08 09:56:46 PDT)

I've owned Pentax 35mm cameras in the past (Spotmatics were great) I'm just curious if they're are any quirks I should know about this model and why you think this guy sold ALL this stuff so cheap. I hope I'm just lucky Hope to share a lot of pictures on hereas soon as I get it out of the box.

Barry

03-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
I've owned Pentax 35mm cameras in the past (Spotmatics were great) I'm just curious if they're are any quirks I should know about this model and why you think this guy sold ALL this stuff so cheap. I hope I'm just lucky Hope to share a lot of pictures on hereas soon as I get it out of the box.
Hey Barry! Welcome!

Not a bad deal if you're going to use the K1000 film camera also. Those lenses will likely be best kept for use on the K1000. If you do use them outside on the K100D, keep the aperture set to about f8 for most clean results.

Quirks.... Shoot in RAW format using the K100D as the .jpg processor in the camera is a bit weak, and do a little research on post processing software. Makes a huge difference in the finished product.

If you want to expand your lens selection for the K100d, this site has a very good lens review section. Study that before you buy & you should be able to pick up some nice glass. For now I'd suggest you focus on learning to use the K100d with the kit lens - I've found there are lots of settings & tweaks to get great performance out of the K100d.
03-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Hey Barry! Welcome!

Not a bad deal if you're going to use the K1000 film camera also. Those lenses will likely be best kept for use on the K1000. If you do use them outside on the K100D, keep the aperture set to about f8 for most clean results.

Quirks.... Shoot in RAW format using the K100D as the .jpg processor in the camera is a bit weak, and do a little research on post processing software. Makes a huge difference in the finished product.

If you want to expand your lens selection for the K100d, this site has a very good lens review section. Study that before you buy & you should be able to pick up some nice glass. For now I'd suggest you focus on learning to use the K100d with the kit lens - I've found there are lots of settings & tweaks to get great performance out of the K100d.
Thanks Jim
Doe thes auto focus on the K100D work with the Vivitar lenes?
I do post process quite a bit using Thumbs Plus, like my pictures with more contrast than most people.
03-19-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey Barry! Welcome!

Okay, I know that debating jpeg processing is pretty much like debating "what is art". However, the K100D was noted in several reviews for having some of the best jpegs, indeed better than the K10D. Note that the reviewers are talking about default jpeg settings, and they are widely adjustable, so it's pretty much a moot point anyway. (I guess I just felt like arguing.)

BTW, the K100D is really good at low light shooting with those big, fat pixels spread out over that sensor. I really liked my K100D and kind of missed it after selling it for the K10D. However, now I've got the K20D and I'm really happy.

Oh, and I agree 100% about shooting raw. You paid for all those bits of data, might as well keep them and use them!

03-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Thanks Jim
Doe thes auto focus on the K100D work with the Vivitar lenes? I do post process quite a bit using Thumbs Plus, like my pictures with more contrast than most people.
Those are likely manual focus lenses, and I'm guessing not auto aperture. You'll be shooting in Av (aperture priority) mode on the k100d if you use those lenses. To keep flair & other problems minimized, stop down the lens a few notches to f8 and let rip with the K100.

If the lenses are not auto aperture that also means you can't shoot very effectively using the flash. It can be done fully manual with an old manual flash & flash tables (be sure to double check the voltage rating on a hotshoe flash before using it. You don't want to fry the K100), but what a pain (yes, I've done it. It's just like using the old K1000 - which you & I also have).
03-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Those are likely manual focus lenses, and I'm guessing not auto aperture. You'll be shooting in Av (aperture priority) mode on the k100d if you use those lenses. To keep flair & other problems minimized, stop down the lens a few notches to f8 and let rip with the K100.

If the lenses are not auto aperture that also means you can't shoot very effectively using the flash. It can be done fully manual with an old manual flash & flash tables (be sure to double check the voltage rating on a hotshoe flash before using it. You don't want to fry the K100), but what a pain (yes, I've done it. It's just like using the old K1000 - which you & I also have).
Jim,
I'll probably end up reselling the K1000 on Ebay. I'll also be using the pop up flash on the K100D at least for now. Will I miss not being able to shoot at low ISOs like my Fujis (64 and 100) I like doing some macro work. I heard the Pentax make up for it using bigger sensors therefore 200 ISO can look just as good on a DSLR than 64 on a P & S
03-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Pentax Forum Has Got Me Thinking

hey everyone, The Pentax package I got off Ebay made me think after reading some threads, should I resell the K100D and some the extra lenses and keep the basic lens and buy the K200D new and possibly break even..price wise? ?
03-20-2008, 04:47 AM   #8

IMHOP new is always best!

03-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
K100D Arrived Today

Hey All,
Thankfully the seller on Ebay was honest It does look and act like a new one. He sent more lenses than he said in the ad. The K1000 is a little rough, doesn't matter as I plan to resell it. I need to remmeber a couple things. 1) I don't have an EVF or LCD to frame my subjects and (2) don't have auto focus on the accessory lenses, but they fit like a charm. Need to order the original lens cap for the 18-55mm Pentax lens as it was not supplied. I think I got a great deal, so now convice me to sell my s8000 Fuji so I can help pay for this cam. LOL

Barry

03-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Stupid Question Perhaps

I keep hearing of the k100d as being an "entry-level" DSLR, What different features would justify someone paying over $1000 more for an advanced/pro DSLR. To me the K100D is complicated enough.

Barry
03-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Jim,
I'll probably end up reselling the K1000 on Ebay. I'll also be using the pop up flash on the K100D at least for now. Will I miss not being able to shoot at low ISOs like my Fujis (64 and 100) I like doing some macro work. I heard the Pentax make up for it using bigger sensors therefore 200 ISO can look just as good on a DSLR than 64 on a P & S
To get really nice results you should have a good lens to start with. Invest in a good Pentax prime. 'A', 'FA', and 'DA' series all have some VERY good glass in them. The A series is manual focus, but they can be had for under $100 in many cases. Your 50mm should do well. Maybe if you can find a 28mm or a 50mm macro....

FA series... just about the whole collection of FA lenses is fantastic, but they're expensive.

DA lenses, do your homework to get something good. Pentax will be releasing a new DA 18-55 gen II lens soon. Supposed to have some significant improvements and cost under $200. I may pick one up myself.
03-24-2008, 06:20 PM   #12

I keep hearing of the k100d as being an "entry-level" DSLR, What different features would justify someone paying over $1000 more for an advanced/pro DSLR. To me the K100D is complicated enough.

Barry
Features like
-Weather proofing. You can shoot in the rain.
-More MP 10-14 MP leaves you more image if you crop.
-Ability to shoot continuously for a dozen shots instead of the 3 shots you get with the K100D.
-Faster access to controls via more buttons/dials and better menu - useful for action phoographers
-Live view -nice for macro work, sometimes handy for odd camera angles.
-Bigger sensor - lets you get nice results at ISO100-3200 and makes for more wide angle
-Faster focus. Needed for sports and wildlife shooters.

But why worry. The K100D is a heckuva good camera. Get yourself spme good DA lens to really enjoy it.