Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I use higher end Hoya and Kenko
I think if you need to use UV filters to protect your lens, one should certainly go ahead. Some environments are hostile and dirty. But I'd only ever use a quality one like the Hoya's tested by lenstip.

Even then, I probably wouldn't use one at night, due to the risk of strange things happening on your images, like internal reflections, that I've seen even with Hoya filters. Pic related:

Last edited by rawr; 07-18-2013 at 02:43 PM.
07-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
there is a valid reason to use clear protection filters and there is a reason not to. Do not let anybody try to tell you different.
OK, that said, when I am shooting into the sun or for night landscapes, I take off ALL filters to prevent ghosting or excessive flaring.
I sometimes use a clear filter for macros...once was moving in close to a thorny rosebush and the thorn actually marked up my front element, dang! Also, found that dogs, horses, sheep, goats like to lick the front element as if it is water or ice or something. ask me how I know this. I so wish I had used a filter that day! Kid's b-day parties where the spontaneous water ballon, projectile vomit, silly string, could really tick you off without the extra protection.

I also shoot seascapes and pretty much leave off the filters, but I get salt spray and sand on my lenses all the time and have to wipe them fairly often on an outing. It is easier to clean a clear filter than those front elements.