Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sensor cleaning suggestions...

I've got a second hand K-x with a fairly dusty sensor. Does any one have any recommendations on how to clean it...should I clean it myself?...and if so, is there a recommended cleaning kit to use?...or would I be better off to find a camera shop that has experience in cleaning sensors? Thanks.

07-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
i personally use a rocket blower and a Sensorklear Pen
also check out this link within the forum https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/227567-...-cleaning.html
07-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I use an un-sized artist's brush and a can of compressed air. I blast the brush with the air which gives it an electrostatic charge. I lightly brush the sensor and the dust particles adhere to the brush. Works good.
07-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sensor cleaning in order. Do one step and check, if it was not successful go to the next step:
  1. Activate the on sensor dust removal: Menu>Wrench>4>Dust Removal. Do this multiple times if you have a lot of dust or have not run it for awhile. I also recommend turning it ON for start up action so that it runs each time you turn on the camera..
  2. Use a rocket blower to dislodge dust. Menu>Wrench>4> Sensor Cleaning. This flips up the mirror and exposes the sensor. Using the rocket blower, first blow a few times into the air, then gently onto the sensor. This should dislodge dust particles. Turn off the camera to reset.
  3. Do a wet sensor cleaning. There are various kits available for this. The one from Pentax is highly recommended but so are others. Menu>Wrench>4> Sensor Cleaning. This flips up the mirror and exposes the sensor. Do the wet cleaning per instructions in the kit and then turn off the camera to reset.
  4. Send the camera in for professional cleaning. If you have tried everything and still have problems then it is time to seek professional help.

I don't ever recommend using canned air, though the idea above with the brush is interesting. Don't blow onto the sensor with your mouth (you will spit on it) or use canned air directed onto the sensor.

07-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a week ago I had to clean a spot from my K-30's sensor that wouldn't blow off. I used the pre-packaged Sensor Swab Plus (bought as a four pack). Worked like a charm and anyone can do it. Just make sure you buy the one that's sized for APS-C. Size 2 I believe.
07-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
I use an un-sized artist's brush and a can of compressed air. I blast the brush with the air which gives it an electrostatic charge. I lightly brush the sensor and the dust particles adhere to the brush. Works good.
Also what I do, except I use a rocket blower instead of canned air. I use the CleanSkies sensor brushes from eBay, though. (around $14 for two.) Works like a charm.
07-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I picked up a hepa-jet, and it helped a lot. Still a little dust, but it is manageable. I was a little wary of messing around with the sensor. I appreciate every ones helpfulness. And remember....no advice is too elementary (I'm fairly new and still have much to learn).

07-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I posted this today in another thread:

My K-x sensor was getting fairly dirty (had a couple of larger spots) so I got to exploring my options through this Forum and other places online. I did the Rocket Air (didn't help) and after some reading and video watching I began to get paranoid about cleaning the sensor (and I was wasting a bunch of time watching videos that didn't help much). I decided to man-up when I realized I had some artist brushes in the closet and got a very nice (soft) brush about 1/2 inch (1.5 CM) wide. I blew out the brush and raked it across a knife edge back and forth the get it cleaned out and managed to do a very good job of cleaning the sensor. I had to make a few tries at it cleaning/blowing the brush out before every cleaning. After each brush off I took a 4 second picture of a wall (moving the camera as I took the picture) and compared the results from each cleaning. In LR4 I could compare the pics side by side and see some dust moving around or being removed completely. I have one small dust spec that is giving me fits but I figure it's light years better than it was and all I had to do was a "dry clean". I agree one should be very careful, but with the proper tools and a bit of homework this is doable.
07-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My approach is very simple.

I put the camera in mirror-up mode and then insert the thin nozzle of our domestic vacuum cleaner into the camera and vacuum for 10 seconds or so.

Seems to work for me.