Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Some people have claimed that when they see the image focused on the split screen, it doesn't appear focused in the actual shot. This is not a problem with the screen, but with the people. The diopter of the viewfinder needs to be set to the correct compensation for your eye. In my case, the standard range (-2.5 - +1.5) was not enough, I needed something lower than -2.5. I purchased a diopter extender that took the range all the way down to -5.5. Then, I put the camera on a tripod, used AF to centre-focus on a newspaper, and then I moved the diopter adjustment slowly, click by click, until the image in the split-prism was also in focus.
Just an off topic question but I assume you wear glasses and take them off to shoot?

I have -3.75 corrective lenses, and have always shot with my glasses on, because it is too much trouble to try and identify something with my fuzzy vision, then look in to the clear view finder, or to take the glasses off in between.

03-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I bought a cheap Chinese screen from eBay. I believe it was cut froma K1000 screen, although this is the first time I've heard mention anything about a clip. If somebody could clue me in as to what this "clip" is, I'd appreciate it.
a piece of plastic/cardboard - looks like "U"... if you bought that from "jinfinance" - I bet you did not pay attention to it and clip was discarded, because "jinfinance" unfortunately does not
provide clear instructions...
03-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just an off topic question but I assume you wear glasses and take them off to shoot?

I have -3.75 corrective lenses, and have always shot with my glasses on, because it is too much trouble to try and identify something with my fuzzy vision, then look in to the clear view finder, or to take the glasses off in between.
No, I don't wear glasses, although maybe I need them

I'm planning on getting my eyesight tested soon. If it turns out I don't need glasses, then it means there's something wrong with my viewfinder!
03-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
a piece of plastic/cardboard - looks like "U"... if you bought that from "jinfinance" - I bet you did not pay attention to it and clip was discarded, because "jinfinance" unfortunately does not
provide clear instructions...
I bought it from somebody else, and there was nothing in the envelope save for the screen and a receipt; I'm sure of that.

So what do you do with the clip? As it is, my new screen is a little bit thicker than the original and the fit is very snug. But it does fit

03-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I bought it from somebody else, and there was nothing in the envelope save for the screen and a receipt; I'm sure of that.

So what do you do with the clip? As it is, my new screen is a little bit thicker than the original and the fit is very snug. But it does fit
Well, focusing screens from "jinfinance" (from K1000) are thinner than originals - so we need a clip... if your
screen was cut from something else (not from K1000) then may be you do not need a clip at all...
03-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Well, focusing screens from "jinfinance" (from K1000) are thinner than originals - so we need a clip... if your
screen was cut from something else (not from K1000) then may be you do not need a clip at all...
Hmmm, I always thought mine was cut from a K1000, because I thought they were thicker than the K10D screens... I guess I was wrong!

I'll have to check with a K1000 screen
03-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Hmmm, I always thought mine was cut from a K1000, because I thought they were thicker than the K10D screens... I guess I was wrong!

I'll have to check with a K1000 screen
you can check what "jinfinance" himself is writing (his ebay items)

QuoteOriginally posted by google : +jinfinance +k1000:
not all split image focus screens are born equal. All other screens for Pentax on the market are made from Minolta X700. The thing is that X700 has a thickness of 1.8mm, while all pentax SLR/DSLR use a screen of thickness 1.42mm.. We use K1000 screen, which has a thickness of 1.35mm

03-20-2008, 03:54 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I have a cheap one in my Samsung gx-1l. It is a must have for manual focus lenses, especially if you want to shoot wide open. I've used af lenses on it also, seems like the metering is either right on or it over exposes by a 1/2-1 stop. Easily adjustable with the +/- exposure setting. I mostly shoot in apperture priority btw. My only complaint is I had to pull it out once because I installed it wrong the first time, second time I got some debris in there so I see it when I look through the view finder. Totally my fault, has nothing to do with the screen.
03-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #24
Veteran Member

you can check what "jinfinance" himself is writing (his ebay items)
I guess I got the Minolta one!
03-21-2008, 02:03 AM   #25

Original Poster
I contacted Rachael Katz asking why their product is better than the cheao ones. This is her very worthy reply.....

Thank you very much for your inquiry. As with any worthwhile product, there
will eventually be Asian knock-offs at a lower price. While I don't like to
boast or 'push' our products, since you asked, I will do my best to
highlight some of the key differences.

1. Service and support - Unlike some nameless, faceless, knock-off, when you
buy a Katz Eye screen, you are buying directly from the manufacturer. We
are here to support you should a problem arise, you know who you're dealing
with, and in the unlikely event you are unhappy with your purchase, returns
are honored in a straightforward and simple manner.

2. Quality control - Since we make our products right here in our own local
manufacturing facility, we have complete control over the process and can
assure that each and every screen meets our standards. We do our quality
control checks on each screen, not just batch by batch, and we keep
individual production records of every unit we ship.

3. Features and options - We offer a variety of features and options not
available on copycat products. Our "Plus" prism design extends the
usefulness of the prism to telephoto lenses and compact zooms - something
very valuable considering the nature of today's lenses. We also offer our
exclusive OptiBrite brightness enhancement to provide easier viewing of your
subject. Our wide selection of grid lines are precisely applied and
visually correct for the smaller viewfinders of today's DSLR cameras and we
can also duplicate the original AF brackets on the Pentax screen.

And finally, although it pains my sense of modesty to say so, it does matter
that you are dealing with. I like to believe that we conduct our business
in a fair way and provide a product that is worth the cost. I still hold
dear the ideas of a handshake and a person's word and I try very hard to
carry that sense through every transaction. Katz Eye Optics was founded (by
me, incidentally) not to make a buck, but to help fill an unmet need in the
photography world. I am in fact flattered that people have seen fit to copy
our products, but no one can duplicate the dedication and care we bring to
our products. Thanks again for your interest in Katz Eye Optics products
and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Rachael Katz
Katz Eye Optics
Tel. +1.413.743.2523
Fax +1.888.251.5477
03-21-2008, 04:38 AM   #26

For what it's worth I bought one from the person in the link provided by ukbluetooth. The split prism was off just a bit so when I thought it was lined up properly the pictures were out of focus. I emailed him and he said to return it for a replacement. That was 2 months ago. He seems to be working with me and the replacement is supposed to be on it's way. Mail is slow I guess.

I wasn't all that impressed with it. The prism starts going black above f5.6 and is unusable at f8. I think most of the cheap ones are like that but I'm not sure.

If I had it to do over I wouldn't have wasted the time and money on the cheap one. I would have gone with the Katzeye and optibright. I still might but I'm traveling right now so there's no reason to order it.

Slick
03-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #27
Inactive Account

I just received a 45 degree split with grid from seller: photo_gadget_germany in China that I purchased for my fiance. Took about 1 1/2 weeks for delivery. I'll report back on how she likes it as soon as she has it installed on her k10d!
03-21-2008, 07:35 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ukbluetooth Quote

1. Service and support - Unlike some nameless, faceless, knock-off
they are not nameless - you know which screen was cut, K1000 or X700 and originals
are brand names... they are just cut to the proper size... yes in many cases
manually, not a big deal.

QuoteOriginally posted by ukbluetooth Quote
3. Features and options - We offer a variety of features and option...Our wide selection of grid lines
just look here for variety and wide selection : Focusing Screen
03-31-2008, 07:53 PM   #29
Veteran Member

i have lots of questions, hopefully someone has answers :P
-so these focusing screens (whether Katz Eye or not) will black out around F5.6+? ... even outdoors? .. was this a problem for old film SLRs too?
-do the cheapo K1000 screens require a shim?
03-31-2008, 09:31 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
-so these focusing screens (whether Katz Eye or not) will black out around F5.6+?
@ 5.6 ? split prism - not exactly... you still can focus, _BUT_ you need to position
your eye properly so that you can see through the both halves of the split prism... a little shift
will lead to either half going almost dark... microprism collar around split prism is unusable, yes - it is not black, but microprisms will not disappear even when in focus... based on my eye and my copy of x1000-cut screen of course...