Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Inactive Account

new to *ist DL..help

hi..so am into photography and i just bought a used *ist DL with 3 lenses..to be honest am nt that happy with it but i've seen gr8 photos taken by ppl with cams like it ..theses are the lenses :

SMC Pentax FA 28-80mm 1:3.5-4.7
SMC Pentax F 80-200mm 1:4.7-5.6
Sigma 18-50mm 1:3.5-5.6

can any one give a brief review about these lenses and their quality and main uses ? meaning used to photograph in what conditions.
i also tried shooting at night and the pictures comes out grainy , the indoor pictures comes out shaky! ..i read that it's a gr8 cam for beginners..so can u help get started

Attached Images

07-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rema Quote
hi..so am into photography and i just bought a used *ist DL with 3 lenses..to be honest am nt that happy with it but i've seen gr8 photos taken by ppl with cams like it ..theses are the lenses :

SMC Pentax FA 28-80mm 1:3.5-4.7
SMC Pentax F 80-200mm 1:4.7-5.6
Sigma 18-50mm 1:3.5-5.6

can any one give a brief review about these lenses and their quality and main uses ? meaning used to photograph in what conditions.
i also tried shooting at night and the pictures comes out grainy , the indoor pictures comes out shaky! ..i read that it's a gr8 cam for beginners..so can u help get started
Those aren't the greatest lenses. I'd recommend getting a manual 50mm prime (or even the Pentax DA L 18-55mm kit lens) or something like that if you want good image quality (see our marketplace).

Reviews are found here:
SMC Pentax-FA 28-80mm F3.5-4.7 Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-F 80-200mm F4.7-5.6 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I wish I could wave a magic wand and make you a great photographer but I can't. There is a learning curve and it takes a lot of time and practice.
I would suggest you obtain and read the camera manual completely. Yep, it will be totally boring but until you have read it you won't even understand the terms needed to show you what to do. After you have read the manual get a book by Brian Peterson called "Understanding Exposure", it has been around for awhile and a new edition just came out so older ones should be available used quite cheaply. Read it, practice, read it again.

Please note you bought a dslr not a point & shoot. That means you have to learn how to use it to take good pictures.

Your grainy pictures are caused by using a high ISO, and your blurry ones by using a shutter speed that is too low. Taking pictures in the dark is hard even for experienced photographers. Start easy and learn your way through. You need very good light and something static to practice on. Pick a subject and take pictures of it with various settings so you understand what is happening.

Photography is all about controlling light. The camera does that with three things:ISO, aperture and shutter speed. Learn all about those and the rest becomes clear.
07-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Your lenses are ok, but are really better suited for well-lit, outdoor photos. You will most likely need to use flash for indoor shots. The Sigma would probably be your best choice for indoor photography. It sounds as though you could use some basic DSLR instruction - I suggest the book "Understanding Exposure", by Bryan Peterson. It explains how shutter speed/aperture/ISO combine to achieve good exposure. Good luck.

edit - jatrax offers good advice!

07-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter

There has been good advice here. The DL is a good learning camera. I still have mine and use it. The DL is grainy /noisy from ISO 1600 up. I try to stay below 800.
07-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thx alot guys for ur advises, i have read the manual and read lot of articles about :ISO, aperture and shutter speed, but am sure i need more time and learning to be more ready for professional photography
i will definitely read Peterson's book
thx again
07-21-2013, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

My first dSLR was and *istDS in 2004, was a long time before I was taking photos I was happy with, years in fact.
I upgraded to a K-7 when it was released but found it was too much of a camera for a while so stuck with the *istDS as I was getting much better results owing to forcing myself to use only manual mode.
After a couple more years I sold the *istDS because I needed to use the K-7 which was gathering dust. I was now 100% familiar with the *istDS and would therefore grab it first.
Now, in 2013 I am 99% familiar with the K-7. I still shoot manual a lot, but also shoot Av when I want 100% control over depth of field. If I'm shooting airplanes in flight I will use Tv.
All this practice over many years mean't that when I bought the Pentax Q, I was immediately comfortable with using it manually. Same goes for the K-01 I bought a little later.

Point of my story is, 'be patient'. It's takes a lot of time, especially if you have a limited amount of free time to actually go out and shoot photos.
dSLR photography is a passion, a hobby and for a lucky few, a rewarding profession - but there's a learning curve for everyone.
Point and shoots and smartphones have made us lazy and impatient.
Check out YouTube, there are many professionals making great videos to teach people dSLR photography. I like Mike Browne and Jeff Cable, but there are many more.
Once you see the light, you'll be able to capture it

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 07-21-2013 at 03:53 PM.
07-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
can i ask what Nikon or canon lenses may work on the *ist DL body?

07-21-2013, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

Please note you bought a dslr not a point & shoot. That means you have to learn how to use it to take good pictures.

Not entirely true in that context. The DL has an auto setting like point and shoots. About the only difference might be learning how to find that setting on the dial (which is not too difficult).

Your grainy pictures are caused by using a high ISO, and your blurry ones by using a shutter speed that is too low.
Without seeing the photos and checking the EXIF, I would say that is quite presumptuous. The grainy photos could be a matter of expectations for just how low light an older generation DSLR can process. In other words, even if the ISO is 400 or under, if the shot is underexposed......or the lighting is very faint.....then it could still be quite grainy. We also don't exactly know what the OP means by "grainy" (in other words, how grainy?) if we don't see the photo.......nor do we know just how dark were the conditions (esp. considering it was stated they were taken at "night").

The blurry shots could be also related to light and expectations. Lower light might require a tripod even with a fast shutter speed. Or, it could be not having a steady hand.....as the DL does not have stabilization like the newer bodies.

Last edited by ccd333; 07-21-2013 at 03:16 PM.
07-21-2013, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

None. They have different mounts. Theoretically you can use an adapter but it really is not worth it in most cases.
07-21-2013, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

You will need an adapter to use lenses that are not k-mount, and possibly loose functions.
Don't make things hard for yourself, stick to K-mount lenses.
Personally my advice is to stay with the lenses you have and learn as much as you can about dSLR photography. If you go out buying more lenses now thinking that those you have are the reason for poor results, you will be wasting money and be even more disappointed. (Been there, done that)
The more you learn about the camera, the better prepared you will be when it comes time to buy the lens you need instead of the lens you want.
07-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well..gonna fellow ur advise guys and i'll get back to you thx for the help
07-21-2013, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
Not entirely true in that context. The DL has an auto setting like point and shoots. About the only difference might be learning how to find that setting on the dial (which is not too difficult).
I think we will have to disagree on this. If you want to get the most out of your dslr then you have to learn photography. IMHO if you don't want to learn how it all works you will get better pictures from a P&S.

QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
Without seeing the photos and checking the EXIF, I would say that is quite presumptuous.
Probably. But almost certainly correct anyway.
i also tried shooting at night and the pictures comes out grainy , the indoor pictures comes out shaky!
What I posted is certainly a simplified answer but I think I'll stand by it. It is very easy to bury a new dslr owner with jargon and details and that does no one any good. I don't disagree with anything you said, I just don't think the OP will understand it yet. I've taught a number of people to shoot and I firmly believe in one step at a time. Trying to teach or explain second or third order parameters to someone who does not yet understand first order ones just confuses things. IMHO.
07-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #14

I think we will have to disagree on this. If you want to get the most out of your dslr then you have to learn photography.
Eventually you will want to learn the nuances of a DSLR, and I agree in order to get the most out of it you must learn the craft as well as the tool. But the OP seems new to photography in general. Using the auto setting until one gets a better feel for how it feels in the hand......and what its general limitations might be as they relate to expectations......seems like sound advice. After all, the auto setting is adjusting for what the camera perceives as optimum for the condition at hand. It's not perfect and it has limitations to be sure......but it should mimic in most cases what the best settings would be for a particular scene. One can learn quite a bit by taking note of what ISO, aperture, and shutter settings the camera chooses (even if it doesn't turn out well). And it can be a lot less daunting when first starting out with a DSLR.

IMHO if you don't want to learn how it all works you will get better pictures from a P&S.
I don't see how that could be true. If all things are equal from the most basic setting (ie auto vs auto), then even an older gen entry level DSLR will probably best the point and shoot in almost all situations.

Originally posted by ccd333.....Without seeing the photos and checking the EXIF, I would say that is quite presumptuous.
Probably. But almost certainly correct anyway.
Perhaps. But we don't know whether the OP purchased the DL with the ISO settings elevated when last used, whether the OP tinkered with the settings upon purchase, or whether or not the auto ISO was implemented.

Originally posted by Rema.......i also tried shooting at night and the pictures comes out grainy , the indoor pictures comes out shaky!
What I posted is certainly a simplified answer but I think I'll stand by it. It is very easy to bury a new dslr owner with jargon and details and that does no one any good. I don't disagree with anything you said, I just don't think the OP will understand it yet. I've taught a number of people to shoot and I firmly believe in one step at a time. Trying to teach or explain second or third order parameters to someone who does not yet understand first order ones just confuses things. IMHO.
This response to the OP only serves to bolster my original points.
07-21-2013, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

I have published photos with that FA 28-80 and a PZ-1. So, like has been mentioned before you have some good lenses. I started by reading and then trying out what I read. You will get there.