Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2013, 04:24 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about a used K-30? A true DSLR, good viewfinder, a lot of features, like focus peaking, great ISO performance..
Or, if you dont mind a bit slower mirrorless, K-01? Compact, same sensor as K-30, takes all Kmount lenses, but its not a DSLR, always in live view. No PD AF (so no adjustment needed), only CD AF (accurate, but a little slower)

07-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Just to clarify something. The K-5 does not use dedicated buttons for focus adjust. You still need to jump into a menu. I'm quite certain that is true for all bodies.

But jumping into the menu on a Pentax is not too bad because of the logical menu layout, and there is an option to rememeber where you last were, which won't get you exactly there, but will gets you very close. So it's only a couple button pushes away.
I may be wrong here, but I think the original post was referring to dedicated wheel/buttons for "focus adjust" but actually meant "switching between focus points (not fine tuning the focus). If that was what he meant, then yes, there ARE dedicated buttons for switching between focus points.
07-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PANGU_yien Quote
I may be wrong here, but I think the original post was referring to dedicated wheel/buttons for "focus adjust" but actually meant "switching between focus points (not fine tuning the focus). If that was what he meant, then yes, there ARE dedicated buttons for switching between focus points.
Yep, and even my K-r has this (ability to change focus point using the 4 directional buttons) which I learned yesterday when trying to take some pictures of horses. Up until then I'd only ever used centre point.
07-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really love my K30. I have one of the wheels assigned to change ISO, with the green button returning to auto ISO. I use it all the time.. If you think you don't need high ISO, you are mostly wrong (we don't really need any camera, but that is another topic). It is extremely useful to keep shutter speed up (prevent motion blur) or to keep aperture smaller (longer DOF, sharper images also ), or sometimes both. Outdoors, I shoot sometimes at high ISO in bright light for motion stopping. Like:

And

07-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #20

Save up and get the K-5. End this discussion....
07-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got the lens today.

Pentax SMC A 135 2.8
Pentax F 135 2.8
Pentax F 50 1.7

Since I'm a little bit on the broke side, I went ahead and order a PK-NEX adapter, and I'm gonna use them as MF lens on my NEX for now. My photography budget is blown this year lol, maybe next year. I saw an ist D at keh.com for 89 bucks but the free shipping even is over... don't feel like paying 15 bucks on a 90 bucks body, maybe next time.
07-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PANGU_yien Quote
Thanks for catching that; my mistake.
07-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
I got the lens today.

Pentax SMC A 135 2.8
Pentax F 135 2.8
Pentax F 50 1.7

Since I'm a little bit on the broke side, I went ahead and order a PK-NEX adapter, and I'm gonna use them as MF lens on my NEX for now. My photography budget is blown this year lol, maybe next year. I saw an ist D at keh.com for 89 bucks but the free shipping even is over... don't feel like paying 15 bucks on a 90 bucks body, maybe next time.
You got 2 135 primes? Interesting choice.

I do have a 135 2.5 (Takuamar) because it was very cheap locally, but it's a novelty lens on a cropped frame body. The F 50 f1.7 on the other hand seems very useful. But you'll definitely need a zoom lens, don't you think?

07-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
You got 2 135 primes? Interesting choice.

I do have a 135 2.5 (Takuamar) because it was very cheap locally, but it's a novelty lens on a cropped frame body. The F 50 f1.7 on the other hand seems very useful. But you'll definitely need a zoom lens, don't you think?
it's from the same seller locally, and the funny thing is that the 135mm A and F was the same price, and the 50mm costs me more haha.

But I mainly shoot on a sony system, so I have quite a few lens (zoom/prime), this is more a long the line of a novelty of shooting a pentax, the 135 2.8 could be good for portrait (I don't have that one on my sony system). Essentially the 2 lens kit of 50mm and 135mm would get me to move around quite a bit lol.

I actually have no idea why I got the 50mm, I have about 10-12 prime in my possession right now with FL between 40-57mm, all of them ranging from f1.4 to f/2 including some pancakes.
07-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
picked up a K-01 off the for sale forum on here. Should get it here next week for some testing .
07-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Good choice, I think. Tons of camera for the money
07-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Should be fun to use. Watch for used gear folks are turning over this fall too, if Pentax releases a new camera. Often there are a bunch of used (but in good shape) K5s that get turned over at such a time.
07-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Should be fun to use. Watch for used gear folks are turning over this fall too, if Pentax releases a new camera. Often there are a bunch of used (but in good shape) K5s that get turned over at such a time.
will do. this will be my 1st pentax camera, I like the 16MP sensor by sony, it's pretty good, and I heard pentax improve it's processing engine on the new camera, so hopefully i can shoot in jpeg instead of raw. I'm sick of processing huge files, it's too much for my computer to handle.
07-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #29
Pentaxian

recommend me a Pentax body.

Thanks, guys. This has been a very helpful for me, personally. I've been planning on a used KR and I am closer to thinking it is a good deal for me considering my limited $$.
Does anyone know if there is a magnifying eyepiece that fits the KR. I have the Pentax ME53 magnifying eyepiece on my old and ailing K100D.
Regards, all. Freddy
07-28-2013, 03:27 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I really love my K30. I have one of the wheels assigned to change ISO, with the green button returning to auto ISO. I use it all the time.. If you think you don't need high ISO, you are mostly wrong (we don't really need any camera, but that is another topic). It is extremely useful to keep shutter speed up (prevent motion blur) or to keep aperture smaller (longer DOF, sharper images also ), or sometimes both. Outdoors, I shoot sometimes at high ISO in bright light for motion stopping. Like:

And

Kozlok, really nice shots. Thanks for the tip about the higher ISO outdoors for action shots. That dog shot was really great. Freddy