Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Recommend me a Pentax body?

I might be in position to obtain some pentax lens, and since I don't have a body, I'm looking forward to get one. Here's my must have.

1) Micro focus adjust, I need this, I've some nasty experience with lens not focusing correctly and needed minor focus adjust, is this common with Pentax body?
2) Dedicated button/wheel for focus point adjust
3) Auto ISO range adjustment.

I don't mind if the camera is old and have small MP count, it'll be mainly an experience into pentax for me, I shoot mainly on my sony A900. Thanks guys, I figure instead of going through all the camera model manuals, it might be quicker just to asks the experts on here.

07-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) Micro focus adjust - The current cameras offer this, long with the older higher end cameras also (K10, K20)
2) Dedicated button/wheel for focus point adjust - You will probably be disappointed here, since Pentax uses the 4 arrow key pad. I don't believe that they can be reassigned to one of the wheels.
3) Auto ISO range adjustment - On the K5 series its easy, just press the [iso] button and then select via the rear thumb wheel.
07-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
1) Micro focus adjust - The current cameras offer this, long with the older higher end cameras also (K10, K20)
2) Dedicated button/wheel for focus point adjust - You will probably be disappointed here, since Pentax uses the 4 arrow key pad. I don't believe that they can be reassigned to one of the wheels.
3) Auto ISO range adjustment - On the K5 series its easy, just press the [iso] button and then select via the rear thumb wheel.

very nice, I'm ok with the 4 key pads, as long as we have something VS me digging through the menu like the low end sony, looks like I'll have to get my hand on a K10 or K20. Don't really have the money for the K5.
07-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kowloon, Hong Kong Photo Gallery by Robert at pbase.com

can't go past these bodies

07-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
very nice, I'm ok with the 4 key pads, as long as we have something VS me digging through the menu like the low end sony, looks like I'll have to get my hand on a K10 or K20. Don't really have the money for the K5.
K5 can be found very, very cheap. Just a tad more expensive than k20 and the difference is beyond description.
07-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I like these haha.

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
K5 can be found very, very cheap. Just a tad more expensive than k20 and the difference is beyond description.
I'll go look around, they seems to be floating right at the 550-600 mark ATM.
07-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Banned

I like these haha.

I'll go look around, they seems to be floating right at the 550-600 mark ATM.
Put things in perspective, or, let's think of like this:
Pentax K5 is the camera that beats all Canon DSLRs, from top to bottom, including all Canon FFs, in sheer dynamic range possible to achieve in an image. So while some crazy people are buying 5DII for $1500+, and spending even more on lenses that can make a difference, compared to that, paying $500+ for something of such a quality of craftsmanship that can deliver even better image quality is a bargain.
And not even that — it's a sin even to overlook it. To paraphrase Kai from the Digital Rev, only people with brand astigmatism can skip over it.

I really hope Pentax will continue to use K5 style body and just change sensors inside from time to time, and keep it in its lineup. That camera is the the classic of modern age.

Last edited by Uluru; 07-21-2013 at 09:39 PM.
07-21-2013, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Another laugh for you - I will be sleeping in Uluru tomorrow night
07-21-2013, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Another laugh for you - I will be sleeping in Uluru tomorrow night
Post some photos!
07-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Post some photos!
what kind of photos?

Do you mean photos like these on the gallery I have started? http://www.educatingoptions.com.au/gallery.htm

PS sorry didn't work out the context. I will put photos of central Aus into my personal gallery and will let you know when they are up. Will be around 3 weeks from now.
07-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you want better high iso performance, the k20 or k7 is better than the k10. But the k30 or k5 are quite a bit cleaner high iso wise than the k20 or k7 and their AF is a bit better too.

k30 used should be around 375, k5 around 480, k7 maybe 300-350...

auto iso is pretty easy - set the low end and the high end, some will even let you adjust how quickly it steps up the iso so if you need higher shutter speeds for action, the iso will climb quicker.

the magnesium body on the k7 and k5 are pretty great and these bodies will accept a grip if you have large hands and/or want more battery power. These bodies, along with the k30, also have 100% viewfinders. On the k30, there are fewer buttons so changing from iso to changing focus points requires a 2 second button press of a button to toggle button modes.

all these bodies are weather sealed, but not all lenses are WR.
07-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
If you want better high iso performance, the k20 or k7 is better than the k10. But the k30 or k5 are quite a bit cleaner high iso wise than the k20 or k7 and their AF is a bit better too.

k30 used should be around 375, k5 around 480, k7 maybe 300-350...

auto iso is pretty easy - set the low end and the high end, some will even let you adjust how quickly it steps up the iso so if you need higher shutter speeds for action, the iso will climb quicker.

the magnesium body on the k7 and k5 are pretty great and these bodies will accept a grip if you have large hands and/or want more battery power. These bodies, along with the k30, also have 100% viewfinders. On the k30, there are fewer buttons so changing from iso to changing focus points requires a 2 second button press of a button to toggle button modes.

all these bodies are weather sealed, but not all lenses are WR.
I see, well I honestly don't need high ISO that bad, might have to save up for a k5.
07-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I see, well I honestly don't need high ISO that bad, might have to save up for a k5.
Or just get something cheaper, and see if you need more later. If you're able to obtain some decent lenses, I think it'd be better to get started rather than waiting. The bodies we're discussing have already gone through most of their depreciation, so you won't be losing much if you need to sell and upgrade later. By then you'll know that your lenses are good enough to make the whole thing worthwhile.
07-22-2013, 01:28 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
1) Micro focus adjust, I need this, I've some nasty experience with lens not focusing correctly and needed minor focus adjust, is this common with Pentax body?
Just be careful if you go for an older model. My K-r for example has this but you can only have it set to one value at a time, it doesn't remember a value for each lens unlike the K-30 and K-5 for example. Also I think (but could be wrong) that some can remember more lenses than others so just something for you to double check on. This capability is one of the main reasons I am tempted by the good deals on K-5 bodies at the moment but still can't quite justify it to myself so the K-r is staying.

Also the adjustments are + or - 10 but you can get some software called PK Tether that allows you to make a larger global adjustment if you need to do so.
07-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Just to clarify something. The K-5 does not use dedicated buttons for focus adjust. You still need to jump into a menu. I'm quite certain that is true for all bodies.

But jumping into the menu on a Pentax is not too bad because of the logical menu layout, and there is an option to rememeber where you last were, which won't get you exactly there, but will gets you very close. So it's only a couple button pushes away.