Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Worth upgrading K-x?

Hey-

I love my K-x, and I think I may already know the answer to this question...

but how do folks feel about IQ on an "entry-level" like the K-x vs. something "better"? Basically I'm asking if people think it's worth the money to get a new body or not.

07-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just moved from the Kx to a K30

I'll let you know in a few months

KX is plenty good though.
07-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you're just looking for an improvement in IQ, an upgrade won't be worthwhile. If you're interested in better handling and features, the K-30, K-50 and K-5 II deliver in spades. Extra modes, more buttons, dual dials, better AF, weather-resistance. The K-30 and K-50 have fewer features than the K-5 II, but offer focus peaking and superior live view focussing.

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-23-2013 at 04:18 AM.
07-22-2013, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my K-x too and it is a capable camera.
9 months ago I jumped on a K-5 locally that was nearly new at the right price and since then have mostly used the K-5. I still occasionally use the K-x with a A50 f1.7 because it is such a compact combination when I am airline commuting and don't have room for a bigger camera.

Main advantages (to me) of the K-5 in rough order of priority:
* Better viewfinder. I find it easier to focus manual lenses
* Better usability - the two control wheels (work well with hyper P mode and manual) and extra buttons are great
* Micro focussing adjustment per lens - have squeezed better / more consistent performance out of my lenses
* Automatic exposure and whitebalance are more consistent (especially with subjects with brighter backgrounds)
* Better battery life - I'm now sold on the Lithium batteries where as I used to be a loyal AA supporter!
* Related to battery - better performance with long exposures
* Interval shooting mode
* Sensor dust removal seems to be significantly better than on K-x - so far no issues with the K-5 where as I would "blow" dust of the K-x at least every 3 months (and a couple of wet cleans too).
* Somewhat better IQ. Apart from the increased resolution, the dynamic range is better (and can recover blown out areas better).
* Not huge but auto focus seems to be a little bit better (phase and contrast)
* Lots of little feature improvements (better options / settings, LV.
* The WR potential (although I don't yet have a WR lens!) - certainly the K-5 feels more rugged

The only disadvantages are:
* Its a bit bigger / heavier
* I like the green button position better on the K-x (I'm left eyed).

07-23-2013, 04:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've just upgraded to k-30. A different world. Better IQ, not by much, but everything else is so much better!
07-23-2013, 04:21 AM   #6

If you want to upgrade then the K-30 or K-5 IIs is a good choice as they have good features.

The main advantages that I see in upgrading would be better sensor, weather sealing and overall more functions to play around with.

I don't know much about a K-x as I have never owned one but it all depends on what you are looking for in an upgrade.
07-23-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I upgraded to the K-30 at last Christmas, ended up with the Kx as an extra body that is still in use almost as often as the K-30.
The amount of cash for a used Kx is less that it's user value IMO.

Seb.
07-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think the K-x is a ripping good camera. I've been using them for a couple of years now & haven't felt the need to upgrade yet. In order for me to get the upgrade bug, I usually have to run into a situation that my current gear isn't sufficient to cover. With the K-x, so far, so good.

07-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I think the K-x is a ripping good camera. I've been using them for a couple of years now & haven't felt the need to upgrade yet. In order for me to get the upgrade bug, I usually have to run into a situation that my current gear isn't sufficient to cover. With the K-x, so far, so good.
+1. I got a K-01 for real cheap early this year and it's served me quite well for focus peaking, low light capability, and silent shutter. Plus there are some lenses I have that focus more accurately on the K-01 than my K-x. Still, I do plan to upgrade my K-x someday to a K-5, or equivalent body, so I can get WR, ultra quiet shutter, and battery grip. But on IQ alone, my K-x and K-01 are still doing the job for me right now. I'll wait until I absolutely need to upgrade the K-x; until then, I'm focusing on getting better glass (like Sigma 18-35 f/1.8) and will worry about the body when I've truly outgrown it. (i also agree that the amount of money I could get for selling it may not be more than the value to me in having an extra backup K-mount body around).
07-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Better IQ? I would think you get more bang for the buck investing in a new lens than in a new body. I think (as others have said) that there are other reasons for upgrading the body, but not purely IQ.
07-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

So basically, what we're all saying here is that the decision boils down to what you're looking for in wanting to upgrade from the K-x. If improved IQ, then investing in better glass is probably a better move. If you want more or improved technological and design features in the camera body, then go for the K-30/50/5II models. You should ask yourself whether the K-x is holding you back in terms of: sometimes hit-or-miss autofocus accuracy, loud shutter, lack of AF confirmation points in viewfinder, 96% VF coverage, lack of weathersealing, "too small" to balance nicely with heavier/longer lenses, only 1 control wheel, no top LCD, no external mic input, etc. kiwi_jono's list of advantages/disadvantages of newer camera bodies is very useful!

If you can live with these "deficiencies" in the K-x, at least for your current shooting purposes, then you may want to spend your money on acquiring new lenses that expand your shooting options.

But if, for example, you want to take your DSLR to the beach or poolside, it may very well be worth getting a WR body for those times alone.
07-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback. I really haven't even learned to use close to all that the K-x can do, and in terms of functionality, it suits me fine. Of course, that may be because I don't know anything different- but I'm a pretty simple shooter and part of me feels like more bells and whistles may actually be a negative.

I get great images from the K-x, which is my main concern. Sounds like if I'm not interested in the other advantages of a "better" body, then my money is best spent on lenses (which is what I have been spending it on anyway). And I would not sell the K-x body- I'd keep it for a spare if I were to get something different.

Thanks again for the feedback.
08-26-2013, 04:42 AM   #13
Forum Member

I switched from K-x to K-30 a couple of months ago. There are many minor changes which you could very well live without, but I found made photography much more fun. So I would recommend upgrading even though the rational choice might be to buy lenses instead. The improvements I really like are: quicker auto focus, a bit better image quality, more buttons and useful configurations, WR.
08-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The thing I like most about the K30 after using a K-x for a couple of years, is the viewfinder is loads better. I never did like the K-x viewfinder much, and once I picked up the K30 I'll probably never use a K-x again unless I hit on one for 10 bucks at a yard sale...Other than that I probably wouldn't have upgraded. I very rarely use any of the features that the K-x didn't have, but I do really like the front dial, that's a great addition. I got a AA adapter, the lithium batteries just suck out loud...already had a wireless remote and M42 adapter, good glass...
08-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I moved to a K-5 from a K-X, I still have the K-X especially for a decent "compact" DSLR, it is great with my A 50mm, 1:1.7 lens especially for size wize, it is light weight and small, but it mainly is a back up camera, because I know I can rely on it in a pinch.
I however, use my K-5 mostly, I utilize the battery grip religiously because of my large hands/extra battery storage/ and portrait shots, it fits my hands perfectly like it was custom designed for my hands.
IQ wize I feel the cameras are fairly equal, but the K-5 edges the K-X a little bit but mostly something noticeable by me only, however when it comes to usability the K-5 wins hands down,I love being able to take it near water related anything and not having to worry about it, it feels nice and solid in my hands and it oozes "quality" in the feel.,
I am a big time user of the top LCD screen on the K-5 and usually never have the rear screen on, just dont have a use for it other than chimping my shots. This camera feels like it is a lot tougher like it DOES have a magnesium alloy frame. I love having the front and rear edials, and when I get back to using my K-X, I feel lost and have to retrain myself to use it all over again, it can be a rather tedious camera compared to the K-5 because the lack of extra user features that make your life a whole lot easier on the K-5.
I still like using my K-X, it has a charm all it's own and I most likely will never get rid of it, it will always have a place in my gear bag, however the K-5 if my mainn
"go to" camera for everything else