Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I uploaded an m4v version to YouTube, but they compressed it to the point of looking horrible. Instead I have made the m4v version available for download from my iDisk.
davemdsn, I already wanted to post "dont upload to YouTube as quality-wise, it is total crap". Too late

Actually, your original movie was fine and had nothing to do with Quicktime. It was MPEG4/AVC aka H.264 which is the current official standard anyway (the previous was MPEG2). The only point was that it was embedded in a .mov container (QuicktimePro could have saved it as .mp4 as well and would have recoded it to .mp4 in a couple of seconds -- just changing headers).

BTW, I am not sure whether .m4v is a standard, though (I believe it is linked to iTunes).
EDIT: It seems like dave's download can be savely renamed to .mp4. So, well done.

The examples I head given earlier up in this thread have all been .mp4.

03-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
falconeye, thanks for the heads up on file types. You are correct about m4v being iTunes and I had forgotten. I am still very new to doing anything with video so I am still learning every time I do anything. I'll get the hang of it. It is a whole different ball game from working with still images.
03-22-2008, 01:39 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Page missing!
03-22-2008, 03:24 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Page missing!
if I click on your quoted link it don't work I get the address not there page.

if I go back to page 1 and click on the lin k it works so you must be going wrong someplace

03-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #35
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I forgot that m4v is still an Apple file type. It is the video format for iTunes. I only posted it so that people without Apple products could see the video and that obviously didn't work. Here is the bad YouTube version....YouTube - Little Dolls The beginning is messed up for some reason, but at least it can be viewed without QT or iTunes or the like.
03-22-2008, 10:43 AM   #36
Pentaxian

This starts to be too much emphasis on a technical detail now. But then, it is new terrain for most of us... So, let me say it again:

QuicktimePro or iMovie outputs .mp4 (just as it outputs .mov or .m4v, sometimes only a matter of how naming the file). And .mp4 (MP4/AVC aka H.264) isn't a QT format, it is standard.