"not now, not ever"

hint hint hint...
well whats the matter with quiktime ?

03-21-2008, 08:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One of two reasons:

1. "Apple sucks, I don't go near it"
2. It does funny things to your system, like trying to open BMP pictures in the browser-embedded Quicktime-window.

Much better:
QuickTime Alternative
03-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
My apologies for mentioning or using an Apple product. It made sense for me to use because it was a tool I had on hand. It made sense to use it on the web because it is fairly universal and most computers have it. I only meant to show a nice use for a feature that many of us bashed when the camera was first announced, myself included. There are many other tools out there for creating the finished movie, some may even do a better job. I only mentioned my process to show how easy it was to do with some basic tools. Just trying to be friendly.
03-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
My apologies for mentioning or using an Apple product. It made sense for me to use because it was a tool I had on hand. It made sense to use it on the web because it is fairly universal and most computers have it. I only meant to show a nice use for a feature that many of us bashed when the camera was first announced, myself included. There are many other tools out there for creating the finished movie, some may even do a better job. I only mentioned my process to show how easy it was to do with some basic tools. Just trying to be friendly.
hey you don't have to grovel to him its his problem if he doesn't like yet another movie player that just happens to be made by apple

03-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

davemdsn: If you was referring to me, my point was to explain why people might dislike it. Personally, I don't hate Apple, and the Quicktime format is, as you say, pretty universal, and therefore a good choice on the Internet.

My harsh tone could be because I try to not write more than I have to, English is (obviously) not my mother tongue, and the tone in the language is one of the last things I (normally) have to consider when writing. Sorry.
03-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I don't see what's the matter with Quicktime. Never seen it trying to open a .BMP in the browser (where do you find .bmp files on the internet??)

It's the most practical web player - no frills, no embedded window, controls or whatever. And it loads way faster than any Media Player, DIVX/XVID or RA embedded player, which are all a real pain in the ass. Image quality is great also.

Give it a try, you can download it without Itunes if you want.
03-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #22
Veteran Member

well I'm not impressed that it wants to open all my image files but then again all these progrtams are the same they try to make you use them

03-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I can see ftpaddict's point, even if it's a little tactlessly said. In the PC world, Quicktime really is one of the worst media players ever, possibly beaten only by the execrable RealPlayer. The format is also difficult to play back in other media players without a bit of fiddling. (Here's my vote for Zoom Player as the best media player - small and fast though with a decent-sized learning curve. But that's a standalone player vs a browser plug-in, which is the usage we're talking about here.)

That being said, you can make Quicktime work fairly unobtrusively. During the install, there's a spot where you are given the option of changing MIME settings. Go in there and change the settings (both for MIME, which is what your browser will use, and the file associations) so that QT is used only for Quicktime files and Quicktime streaming protocol. By default, it loads for every MP3, PNG, MPG, and other relatively common files - things where your browser always has perfectly good ways of playing/displaying them, and always faster and usually better than the QT plugin.

After that, you'll still have to visit the registry to remove the updater/system tray icon loader, which loads no matter you select in the program itself. Extremely annoying, but it's not like it's the only program guilty of a bothersome standalone updater. The location in the registry is HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, the program to remove is "qttask.exe".

By following those steps, you can have a Quicktime that will only run on a page that really requires it and won't bother you any other time.

Back on topic - interesting experiment, I think the 21fps can be a handy thing sometimes, though if I want something with sound, I'd probably rather bring along a little PnS with video capability than go through the headache of synchronizing sound, adjusting frame rates, etc. But it's nice to see that it can be done.
03-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Well one example of why I don't use it is because I can't view certain types of video files (forgot which, sorry), yet it still tries to automagically play them, while embedded in my browser. Not cool.
I am a major contributor/user to/of the freesound project. And I can't download mp3 files or any audio files AT ALL, because Quicktime always wants to play them in browser. Sure, I can hit right-click and save as..., but I get far too many inconveniences and wasted time, just to get the ability to play .mov files.

So as not to be completely off topic, could you upload a video to youtube, since you made it? I think the tube recognizes .mov files.

PS: Does Apple make a Linux version of Quickime? If not, then I can't use it.
03-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I am a major contributor/user to/of the freesound project. And I can't download mp3 files or any audio files AT ALL, because Quicktime always wants to play them in browser. Sure, I can hit right-click and save as..., but I get far too many inconveniences and wasted time, just to get the ability to play .mov files.
If it's already installed, you should be able to go into the settings and change your MIME settings, to tell it not to load MP3s, MPGs, etc.
03-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

iMovie used to be one of the best software programs ever designed. It took something very difficult and made it easy. The problem with the '08 version imho is that it now makes it too easy, and takes away the ability to do more complex things. But if it does what you need, you will not find a better/easier way to do things. And the integration with the other iApps is quite amazing. My 11 year old does slide shows set to music using iApps and also shoots and cuts his own videos using a point and shoot camera (doing stop-frame animation).

Once you go FinalCut though, you never go back. Well, unless you need to deal with m4v files...arrgghh
03-21-2008, 02:06 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
If it's already installed, you should be able to go into the settings and change your MIME settings, to tell it not to load MP3s, MPGs, etc.
It's gone for good, honestly.
03-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
It's gone for good, honestly.
Its a lot better than Microsoft windows media player on OSX which is total crap.
03-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
Its a lot better than Microsoft windows media player on OSX which is total crap.
Couldn't agree more. I use open-source software as much as I can.

Now let's please not digress.
03-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I uploaded an m4v version to YouTube, but they compressed it to the point of looking horrible. Instead I have made the m4v version available for download from my iDisk.

removed because I forgot that m4v is still an Apple file type

Use link above then use the download button to access the video. This is also a larger version than is on my .Mac gallery. It is not the original jpeg size, but the video is larger.

As to Mac vs PC - a computer is a tool, just like a camera or a cordless drill. I use De Walt, others may use Black & Decker. It doesn't matter. When I deliver prints to clients nobody says, "Oh, you must have shot that on a Pentax, of processed it on a Mac, or printed it at Mpix." When people look at my cedar fence they don't ask if I used De Walt or B&D. Although they may ask why I didn't weather seal it. Dang rain and snow!

Last edited by davemdsn; 03-22-2008 at 08:47 AM. Reason: updated info