Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D video with sound

Okay, so the sound was added later. This is the K20D in burst mode at 800 ISO. Frames were imported into Quicktime Pro at 15 fps. The .mov file was then imported into iMove '08 for audio and a title frame at the end. The coolest part is the my son looks just like me when I play, and that the audio actually synced up pretty well.

Little Dolls

My wife now thinks that the new camera was a good purchase and I think that this little burst mode thing may have some cool uses after all.

03-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is a great little movie! Like it a lot. And the sound really adds to it.

You haven't produced a full-size version, though (only 640 x 366).
For the curious, I had previously offered an MP4 movie in full size (1536 x 1024) here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/21913-fireengine-k20d-movie-full-hd.html
And a technical discussion about quality and how to improve it here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/21941-k20d-burst-m...esolution.html
Something like iMovie'08 doesn't exist on the PC. So, anybody wanting to achieve a similiar thing, I would recommend "Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0" which is the counterpart of iMovie'07 on the PC.

Quicktime Pro and Adobe CS3 (maybe only Extended) can combine images into movie scenes.

On the artistic side...

I have made the observation that a spectator will gladly accept, even expect, a sequence of multiple bursts aka scenes. So, you could "burst shot" your boy multiple times, from different angles, like taking multiple photos, and just join them together using a continuous audio track in iMovie. This would give you the headroom to use 20, 21 or 24 fps too. Just my little thought.

BTW, it takes 30s to burst shot and get ready for the next burst.

I have started to record a burst from time to time, convert to .mov and archive those with my original full size RAWs. Just in case I have to produce topic-based "slide show" movies some day. You know, the sort of thing like Ken Burns effect, pans, zoom through multiple images, pan over panorama, fast forward from 2.3 fps burst and even some 21fps burst scenes. If one is interested in this sort of thing at all, of course...
03-20-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
falconeye - Thank you. My son now wants to keep making more of these little videos. It was a lot of fun.

Yeah, I did shrink it for web. I was less concerned with showing the HD possibility and more with showing the emotional possibility. The original movie file that I made in Quicktime Pro was full resolution, but no sound. Premier Elements is probably more powerful than iMovie, but I don't do much with video beyond things like this so I just used what I already had. I think there are even freeware options for PC to do this. Either way, it isn't hard. Even fun.

Since the files created in burst mode will only be used for these little movies, I store them on the same external drive I store all my other video on. I have a root folder for K20D bursts, then a folder for each date, then a folder for each burst. When I finish the project in iMovie I export it to folder for finished films. I didn't see an option in QT for 21 fps, only 15, 23.something, or 24. I do kind of like the dramatic look of the 15 fps, which is what I used for this project.
03-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Premier Elements is probably more powerful than iMovie
I was made aware that iMovie'08 is less powerful than iMovie'07 was. So, on the Leopard DVD coming with the Mac (or the box) there is said to be a copy of iMovie'07 ready to be installed for people wishing to care...

I didn't see an option in QT for 21 fps, only 15, 23.something, or 24. I do kind of like the dramatic look of the 15 fps, which is what I used for this project.
The 15fps is artistically nice in your movie. In general though, 24fps is the cinema standard and everything slower is considered to be irritating. Adobe CS3 Extended can import at any frame rate. For people wishing to render 50Hz or 60Hz final output, I would import the bursts at 25fps or 20fps resp. I've no idea why QTPro won't allow you to type in the fps

BTW, I liked Gooshins link to a great still images video https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/23216-photo-movie-future-our-planet.html

03-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The problem with 24 fps on these burst images is that they are recorded at 21 fps and when run at 24 fps life is noticeably sped up. I tried it on this one and my son looked like a keystone cop.

I have never even heard of iMovie '07. The one that came with my computer last year was '06. The thing that I like about '08 is that it has some new technology that makes it super easy for a video novice like me to make a movie in very little time. There are lots of apps out there that do more. I don't plan to invest more money into making these little family films at this time so I make do with what I have. If I get more serious later on I may get Final Cut Express. I have Photoshop CS3, but the price increase to get the Extended version is more than buying Premier Elements or Final Cut Express.
03-20-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great piece of work.

(And the part about wife acceptance makes it even better.)
03-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Dave that is a great short.

You can download iMovie 06 HD if you are a registered user of iLife 08 from Apple.

iMovie 08 needs an Intel or G5 CPU so they are offering the free download to registered users who are still on G4 machines. Some of the features in 06 HD are not in the 08 version. I am sure there are some new features in 08 that are not in 06 HD. I think the 06 HD version has more editing controls.
03-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I am downloading iMovie HD now. I had it before, but didn't do much with it. Now I am doing more with my video camera and the K20, so what the heck, I'll run both.

Thanks for all the nice comments on the movie. I live for those moments.

03-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I love his expressions!
03-21-2008, 04:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

that is amazing !
03-21-2008, 07:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Can't play. No quicktime. (not now, not ever)
03-21-2008, 07:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

down load it.... and install it
03-21-2008, 08:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

That is fricken awesome!!!!
03-21-2008, 08:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My wife now thinks that the new camera was a good purchase and I think that this little burst mode thing may have some cool uses after all.
erm it was a good purchase anyhow she should have a sixth sense about such things or rather faith in your ability to choose good equipment
03-21-2008, 08:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
down load it.... and install it
"not now, not ever"

hint hint hint...