Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Which eye do you use to look through the viewfinder?

For a couple of days a random question has been popping up in my head. I have never thought about it before, nor have I previously paid attention to it but now I want to find out!

Which eye do you use to look through your camera viewfinder?

For me its my Left Eye. The first time I picked up a camera, I naturally just looked through its viewfinder with my left eye.

So which eye do you use? Your left or right?

I am very curious to see what each person answers as I am sure its not just the same answer for everyone...

07-25-2013, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

I am right handed but tend to use my left eye, which is dominant. The 'ol archery trick - hold your arms out and make a circle with your thumbs and pointy finger - and have someone look through it towards your face and they can tell which eye dominant you are.
07-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This has been discussed several times in this forum. You may search for the older threads.

Moreover, there isn't really a need to discuss it anyway. As the topic is well treated in the Wikipedia article already: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocular_dominance

2/3 use the right eye, 1/3 the left one. True for the polls in this forum too.
07-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
This has been discussed several times in this forum. You may search for the older threads.

Moreover, there isn't really a need to discuss it anyway. As the topic is well treated in the Wikipedia article already: Ocular dominance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2/3 use the right eye, 1/3 the left one. True for the polls in this forum too.
Oh, my bad. I should have searched it up before posting this thread.

07-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Left-eyed shooters have the option of using Joe McNally's grip technique:

Last edited by Class A; 07-25-2013 at 08:51 PM.
07-25-2013, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle94VT Quote
I am right handed but tend to use my left eye, which is dominant. The 'ol archery trick - hold your arms out and make a circle with your thumbs and pointy finger - and have someone look through it towards your face and they can tell which eye dominant you are.
There's an easier way. Center an object in you field of vision say at least 4 feet way. Then quickly point directly at the object with your arm fully extended. Without moving your arm close one eye keeping the other open then do the same with the other eye. The dominant eye will be more on target.
07-26-2013, 02:26 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Left-eyed shooters have the option of using Joe McNally's grip technique:Joe McNally's grip technique.
Wow, thanks a lot for that video!

I have been doing it wrong this whole time! I am totally gonna try those techniques out. I am sure it will make my life much easier.

Thanks again!

07-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter

They're designed for right eye viewing

You can't use your left eye, silly. You'll poke your right eye out operating the film advance lever!

Seriously, with SLR or DSLR using the left eye is a pain - I always find my nose pressed hard up against the rear of the camera.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-27-2013 at 03:59 PM.
07-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
You can't use your left eye, silly. You'll poke your right eye out operating the film advance lever!

Seriously, with SLR or DSLR using the left eye is a pain - I always find my nose pressed hard up against the rear of the camera.

Chris
Yeah, Its the same problem here. I always get smudges on the screen whenever I use my camera because of it.