Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would pick the K5 over a combo of the K-01 plus the K20. I own a K-01, but it is not a great focuser, while the K5 is a step above the K20 when it comes to tracking, etc. I just think for kid photography, the K-01 would be pretty frustrating to use and wouldn't add a lot to your gear. I end up using mine in manual focus most of the time when I am taking photos of my kids -- workable, but not always the best.

A K30 or K50 would certainly fit the bill as well if those are in your budget.

07-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I have a question that a google search couldn't answer.

The lens release button issue in the K-5 - was that fixed in the K-5 II?

The K-01 seems bullet proof, other than that rubber cover for the SD card...
07-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
But I guess the point is that with the K-30, I wouldn't need the K20D as I would have the image quality and focus peaking that I want, AND a viewfinder. Hmmmmm
A K30 is in very many ways a K-01 packaged in a dSLR body. (Imaging Engine, Menus, Raw bit depth, outputs, LiveView, video, etc.)
07-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I have a question that a google search couldn't answer.

The lens release button issue in the K-5 - was that fixed in the K-5 II?

The K-01 seems bullet proof, other than that rubber cover for the SD card...
I certainly have had no lens release button issues. I imagine it was fixed early on in the K5 run. I can also attest to the K5 having more decisive and accurate autofocus than the K-01 if I forgot about that.

07-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Well I have a K7 and I got the K01 to compliment it untill Pentax release their 'top end' body whenever that will be. The two really are perfect partners. I don't know as much about the K20 but does it use the same battery as the K5, if so then you can use its battery in the K01 also!
The only thing I would say though is if you want to do live-view work with an external monitor/LCD screen. K7 models and up let you output via HDMI, K01 is PLAYBACK ONLY, which was surprising as I thought it would be handy in the studio and using in macros.
07-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I just purchased a flash and that might be the answer to my low light issues for now

After all pro photographers have lived for decades with ISOs 100-400 and flashes, so I should at least learn proper flash techniques before going for the "high ISO handicap"... though as soon as I have some cash available I think I will make the upgrade, but without too much of a hurry.
07-31-2013, 10:05 PM   #22
Pentaxian

For some time I had the K20D and K-01 as my top bodies. In many ways they complement each other - varied strengths. However, in terms of getting good shots of kids running around, both cameras leave a great deal to be desired.

As for image quality, you'll not see much difference in sensor performance between the K-01/K-30 vs. the K-5 - the 12-bit vs. 14 bit difference has virtually no practical effect (but is great for marketing).

If you decide to shoot RAW (really, you should shoot RAW), keep in mind that the K-01 is only 1 frame per second.

Given your overall needs and financial limits, you should consider buying the K-30 and sell the K20D. The K-30 is more accurate at AF than the K-5 (way ahead of the K20D), especially so in situations where you have movement to track. K-30 is also better than the K-5 for live view mode if you plan to use that at all. For some people, the K-5 is a better camera - and it probably is a bit more durable overall. Given the needs the OP has outlined, the K-30 looks like the best possible fit. One of bigger complaints about the K-30 is how noisy the shutter is - but actually it is marginally quieter than the K20D.

The strongest argument for the K-01 is for its better overall video capabilities if that is an important use for you. However, none of the Pentax cameras are capable of tracking focus in video - you are best off focusing manually to track the movement of kids.
08-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I like my k-01 no view finder, but there's LCD hood/finder ect... it's not the end of the world, focus on longer lens can be slowwwww, but the 50mm focus pretty fast. IQ is great, I like the jpeg engine on this camera, I don't know what they do, but ISO 10000 looks good lol, I mainly use it to shoot jpeg, if it's got a good engine I really don't mind the jpeg, minimal processing on my part, save some time.

The K20D, i'm not so hot about, but I imagine it'll be usable, there's really no unusable camera out there, you just have to work around it.

08-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I'd say get a K-30 with that WR kit @ that ridiculous low $499 deal, I have K-5 and K-01 both, they are completely different animals, K-30 is like a combination of the 2, with WR, 100% coverage OVF and dual control wheel from K-5, and the Prime M image engine, 12bit color depth(to be honest for your use 14bit doesn't give you much ege...), and focus peaking from K-01. And, unlike myself, you have not invest in K-5/K-01 batteries yet, with a $5 adaptor you can use 4AA batteries in K-30 very easily.

The 1fps RAW continuous shooting in K-01 is really annoying if you want to catch action, trust me on this one...
08-02-2013, 02:30 AM   #25
Veteran Member

i'd say, keep k20d, fight high iso with quality fast prime that will hold it's value longer than any (new) body.
Do you process your photo's in lightroom? i find the recent lightroom releases very good at reducing noise from high iso.

I have the k01 for video, and it is not fantastic, so i don't want to recommend it. neither for photos in terms of ergonomics. And for photos, you would indeed benefit from a new body in the iso department. But then a K30 would do. And right now you can still sell the k20 for a more or less reasonable price. and the k30 does the same video as K01...

so i tend to agree with 'elpolodiablo...
just my take
08-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No, so far I've tried Lightroom, just Rawtherapee and will try darktable. Both are said to be pretty good.

I haven't invested in Lightroom yet, I'm trying to see if the free versions will do the job...

Also, I have used the "Strong" noise reduction setting in the K20D and honestly, for just taking casual pictures, it works fine. When working with my Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 I can take good pictures inside the house, but I do have to compensate exposure quite a lot because I don't think the K20D is that good at picking the right shutter speed (I mostly work in Av mode and let the camera handle the shutter speed after I set aperture and ISO). At ISO 1200 I can get all the light I need in most situations, the F 50mm 1.7 is sharp enough at 1.7 for those shots.

The one thing that keeps tempting me is the mid-200 dollar prices on used K-01s. So for the price of lens (or less) I can get a few f-stops of ISO capability on ALL my lens. That is too tempting. Then I can upgrade the K20D later, and have the K-01 to use while I'm going through that process... Good thing I don't have the money to spend yet Once I do, I will be really torn between getting an FA 50mm 1.4 or a K-01... and then sell the K20D. The thing is, apparently selling a K20D is a long pricess nowaways, nobody really wants those old bodies when the new ones are so cheap... I might just have to kinda give it away for 150 dollars just to be able to move it...

Last edited by ChristianRock; 08-02-2013 at 10:33 AM.
08-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #27
Emperor and Senpai

If you can score a K-01 for 250, and live without an OVF, then yeah, go for it. It's going to be slower autofocusing though, but focus peaking is cool. If you sell the K20D you cna always save that money aside for a newer body fund in case you want to go back to a regular DSLR.