Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-30 Speaker Crackles When Body Gets Switched On

Whenever I switch the camera on there is a soft pop or crackle coming from the speaker. Even with the volume turned down it's still there and always at the same volume. Is this normal for the K-30/Pentax DSLRs? I didn't notice this happening with my Canon.

07-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Itīs the ultrasonic dust removal system! search for it in the forum...
07-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Carrrlangas, I searched for ultrasonic dust removal and apparently the K-30 doesn't have that feature:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/195666-dust-alert.html
BTW, I don't have any dust removal features switched on...

Last edited by Schmidt; 07-25-2013 at 01:13 PM.
07-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Is it the aperture lever unit that you hear? It's sounds a but like a short metallic grinding sound.

07-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Is it the aperture lever unit that you hear? It's sounds a but like a short metallic grinding sound.
Maybe... What I'm hearing is more like a short, soft click coming from about the speaker area when the camera gets switched on. I have never really used a Pentax so I'm just starting to get used to its specific sounds.
I'm fairly sure it's coming from the speaker.

Update: Pretty sure it's not the aperture lever. Same sound when camera switched on with no lens. It really does sound to me like the speaker.

Last edited by Schmidt; 07-25-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Update
07-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schmidt Quote
Carrrlangas, I searched for ultrasonic dust removal and apparently the K-30 doesn't have that feature:
The K-30 has the traditional dust removal system, not the ultrasonic one. Thus you will hear a rumbling sound at startup.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
So no one else hears this sound? It becomes clear when you put your ear close to the speaker and switch the camera on.

07-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dont have a K-30, but generally when you turn a camera ON, there are only a couple sounds you can hear:
- a click of the aperture blades
- a rm-rm-rm-rm rumbling of the dust removal, if it is turned to automatic on startup.

Speakers can crackle, but Ive never heard of the ones on cameras do that on startup. Maybe you can remove the lens, clean the lens and camera mount. Then also clean the Mic input and all other plugs the camera has, so that nothing is causing static. You can also try a camera "reset to factory defaults" (if you dont mind losing your settings) and upgrade firmware to latest. Hope any of this helps out.
Btw, what season is it over there? Is the environment charged? Do you ever feel a spark when you touch things? I assume this could cause crackling.
Hope an audio expert with a k-30 adds a comment
07-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Listen to the video review of the K-01 posted here, at 2:28, and again at 6:44. This is what you should hear. The K-30 and K-01 use similar dust removal.

Pentax K-01 Camera Review - Review Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Pentax K-01 In-Depth Review Introduction by PentaxForums.com - YouTube

QuoteOriginally posted by Schmidt Quote
No, that thread is about the "Dust Alert" feature, which is something to help you visually map where dust is. Totally separate from the dust removal feature itself.
07-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
So I've eliminated three possibilities. It is not any of:
1) Dirty camera. It is a brand-new body.
2) Aperture blades. The sound is present even with no lens attached.
3) Sensor cleaner. It sounds nothing like it (I've heard it) & I don't have the dust removal (sensor shake) enabled.

That leaves the speaker. Also, I can dampen the sound by covering the speaker holes with my thumb.

If anyone has a K-30 you can try it yourself by turning the camera on in quiet surroundings (It might also help to keep an ear close to the camera's speaker). About half a second after setting the power dial I hear a distinct click coming from the area of the speaker.
07-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Did you try playing a video on the K-30 to see how sounds come out?
07-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Did you try playing a video on the K-30 to see how sounds come out?
The sound works fine. What I am concerned about is an unusual surge when the camera gets switched on that might be manifest as the noise coming through the speaker. This may be a problem, or it might be completely normal for this model. Problem is it's a lot harder to find another Pentax to compare mine with. They're not as common as Nikon or Canon!
Why am I worried about this? Well, the camera came with a defective strap so now I'm thinking about other quality control issues.
07-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I vaguely remember someone having crackling noises on a Pentax and it was the memory card, or at least a different one was better.
07-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Can you make a video with your cellphone where you record the sound it makes?
This way everyone can hear it and maybe they can relate better... !?
07-27-2013, 02:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I do hear the sound but only if I put my ear right next to the speaker. I cannot possibly think of it as a problem, it is quite normal for any sound system to make some click or other sound when switching on.

On the other hand I don't know if it the same sound that you are hearing, maybe yours is much louder or different.