Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have very high respect for K-x and still occasionally use it but if you want to use MF lenses frequently I would seriously consider K-30, much bigger and brighter viewfinder.
kind regards
jack

07-28-2013, 03:09 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
considering pentax kx camera as upgade

Jack, thank you for your sincere and very helpful reply to my thread. I can't afford a k30 but have decided to take a chance on the KR. I think focussing will be much easier with the KR than the kx.
I will be shopping for one used at Christmas ,at which time I will accrue enough $$ to add to the $150. I have saved thus far. and hope I can find an excellent used KR.
It will be a great treat for me to have a really nice camera body in my final years (I am now74).
My eyes are not so reliable these days but I will transfer the Me53 Pentax magnifying eyepiece to my KF viewfinder (from my old K100D), or else buy another magnifier that will work with the KR, and that should see me thru.
I will look forward to the adventure of trying my wonderful Pentax lenses: 16-45 F4 ED, 40mm pancake ltd, DA 50-200, FA28-105 powerzoom,Takumar 55, and , if it will work on th KR body, my Sigma 50mm EX prime lens.
Warmest regards, Freddy
07-28-2013, 05:29 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hey, Freddy, welcome back!

I shoot with a K-x and have no problem focusing manually. I've only used AF twice, in the two years I've had this camera.
07-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
considering pentax kx camera as upgrade

Hi, Photolady. So nice of you to welcome me back. I appreciate it.
Question: Is what your saying is that you have no problem with manual focussing. But does it autofocus well.
I'm thinking of getting the Kr, which is about the same price used. My eyes aren't so sharp anymore and I need all the
help I can get with manual focusing. I've been leery about the kx because so many people are saying it is hard to focus manually.
Why do they say that. Can't I just set the camera to beep when I've manually settled on the focus..perplexing.
Freddy

07-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Most all of my photos in my flickr have been shot manually on the K-x. And this with cataracts in both eyes. I don't understand why people can't focus manually on the that camera. User error maybe. All my photos in my PPG were shot handheld or tripod mounted and manual focus. I never liked AF because of the hunting it does. By the time the AF has finally focused where the bird is, the bird isn't there any more. However, I do have this to say about AF it focuses rather well if you're not shooting fast motion, ie, birds in flight, racing cars. Course you have Catch in Focus on these two cameras which help with AF. I've never used it but I know some have, especially for manual lenses.

Here's a good thread to read about. It's totally about using the K-x.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/82293-kx-use.html
07-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
Hi, Photolady. So nice of you to welcome me back. I appreciate it.
Question: Is what your saying is that you have no problem with manual focussing. But does it autofocus well.
I'm thinking of getting the Kr, which is about the same price used. My eyes aren't so sharp anymore and I need all the
help I can get with manual focusing. I've been leery about the kx because so many people are saying it is hard to focus manually.
Why do they say that. Can't I just set the camera to beep when I've manually settled on the focus..perplexing.
Freddy
if the lens has contacts for focus confirmation, the camera will peep when it's in focus (matching the focus point).

the K-x has a pentamirror OVF, the K-r has a pentaprism, which is better.

Over all if you're into MF stuff, I would get something with an EVF, it has focus peaking and is much easier to see VS an OVF. There's no pentax with EVF, but you can put an LCD loupe on and use that as an EVF if you switch the camera to live view.
07-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
if the lens has contacts for focus confirmation, the camera will peep when it's in focus (matching the focus point).
Pentax lenses don't require chips for focus confirmation, like Canon or Nikon. A Pentax DSLR will beep for focus confirmation for any lens, even an M42 screw-mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
the K-x has a pentamirror OVF, the K-r has a pentaprism, which is better.
Both have a pentamirror; I think you're thinking of the K-30, which has a pentaprism. See comparison, about 2/3 down the page:
Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-x vs. Pentax K-r vs. Pentax K-30 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Having used both, there really isn't much difference between the K-x and K-r, performance-wise.

So far as manual focusing with the K-x goes, I've taken hundreds / thousands of shots with a K-x and old manual glass, even before I put a split-prism focusing screen in it. It's not hard, if you take your time and stop down a bit to get some depth of field.

07-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Clockwork and Thoog. Enjoyed having your input. I'll probably end up with the Kr body or maybe the K30 will be cheaper, used, by December, as a result of Pentax's relentless introductions of new and better products.
Freddy54
r
07-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Freddy, I wasn't trying to talk you out of buying a K-r but only giving you the merits of what I find with my K-x. Actually, I'm buying a K-30 this month from a forum member. But I'm keeping the K-x as a second body, and a play around with camera.
07-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
A used k-x should cost about $200. I recently sold mine for $200, with DA 18-55AL.
You sold this to a very savvy Pentaxian though! By the way I owe you feedback, and the K-X is fun to have again!
07-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Freddy, I wasn't trying to talk you out of buying a K-r but only giving you the merits of what I find with my K-x. Actually, I'm buying a K-30 this month from a forum member. But I'm keeping the K-x as a second body, and a play around with camera.
Oh, No, Photolady. Your input was very important to me and I thank you for it. Wow, the way Pentax keeps adding new and better cameras I may have enough money by December to buy a used K30.
Hope you enjoy yours Freddy
P.S.. I've been off my feet lately, knee replacement, etc. so was forced to do a little photography on my terrace. I'm attaching some "rock shots" you may not have seen. I collect small interesting rocks and shoot them real closeup
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 

Last edited by fevbusch; 07-28-2013 at 04:46 PM. Reason: I attached wrong photos
07-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Nice rock shots. I love the lighting on these. TFS. Once you decide which camera you're getting you'll love the extra MPs that come with it. I started out here with film, then moved up to a K100D also. Then two years ago, I bought the k-x and couldn't believe the details I was getting in my bird shots compared to the K100D. I thought it was awesome!
07-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I've had both the k100d and the k-x. The k-x is such an awesome little camera. It is a huge upgrade. Then the k-x to'k-5 upgrade is incredible too.
07-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zbrueningsen Quote
You sold this to a very savvy Pentaxian though! By the way I owe you feedback, and the K-X is fun to have again!
I knew I could/might get a bit more money for it, but I needed urgent support for a decisive argument to my wife that the upgrade to K-30 would cost very, very little!
I am glad a very savvy Pentaxian has fun with my K-x... I become sentimental just thinking of it
07-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #30
Veteran Member

The K-X was my first, and I fell hard in love with it. I sold my first for a k-5. Later missed it, my wife shot with the k-5 and I used the k-x. Sold that k-x to a friend and bought another k-5. Taught the girl how to shoot with her k-x and missed it. I sold one of the k-5s to pay some bills, was content without two bodies, then you posted it. And I was like, seriously, I can't let this go, and have been using it. My only gripe after using a k-5 and going back to this - screen resolution. The k-x looks like an old game boy compared to the k-5 screen. It is an extremely underrated and capable camera.