Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I imagine Ken Rockwell can afford to buy a new camera body if he messes his up with the vacuum without it being a major financial issue.So if you are in the same place and have the urge I see nothing wrong with giving it a go..
KennJ

03-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
We had a discussion relating Rockwell to Norris...some good stuff...and yeah, the only thing of his I use is Tshirt for cleaning lenses. But that was also recommended to me to clean my glasses so...
Surely he's not taking credit for cleaning a lens with a t-shirt?

What's next, taking credit for jamming a lens cap in a pants pocket? Looking through a viewfinder when you compose a photo? Phooey.
03-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I would not do it. As RH said, the shutter curtain is at risk.
03-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Interesting ... but not sure if I'd want to put a Dyson close to it ... hee hee.

I'd be worried if something that may be slightly lose ... or not that secure internally ... gets sucked out of the camera body by accident.

It does sound interesting though.
if there is something mechanical inside a camera that will get itself loose from a little suction air, pentax would be out of business.

03-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another problem with a vacuum is static electricity from the vacuum's motor (rotating magnets). DSLR's are computers after all and static electricity can kill a computer.
03-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

wtlwdwgn is absolutely right! Static electricity is highly probable using a vacuum. Especially during the winter when it's dry and humidity is low. Not only will you get static electricity from the vacuum motor, but the very act of pulling air over the sensor will create SE on the sensor and other camera components from friction alone, just like SE is generated on an aircraft's wings and fuselage from the air flowing over them.

I'ts not worth the risk. I love my K10 too much. My bulb blower works great.
03-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #22

Rockwell cleaning method...He says "OUT!" and the dust just leaves!

03-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
wtlwdwgn is absolutely right! Static electricity is highly probable using a vacuum. Especially during the winter when it's dry and humidity is low. Not only will you get static electricity from the vacuum motor, but the very act of pulling air over the sensor will create SE on the sensor and other camera components from friction alone, just like SE is generated on an aircraft's wings and fuselage from the air flowing over them.

I'ts not worth the risk. I love my K10 too much. My bulb blower works great.
As mentioned the action of the air could contribute to the generation of static charges which could cause dust to become attracted to charged surfaces (it's extremely unlikely that the vacuum cleaner motor would directly contribute to imposing a static charge). And there may be potential for of damage to the shutter blades due to the action of the vacuum but it's not likely (I would guess given my experience with compressed air cleaning). But the biggest concern is that the vacuum will pull significant volumes of air into the cavity with all the dust that it contains so you would want to be in a clean environment to start with. That's the prime advantage of using filtered compressed air for cleaning, the contaminants are generally displaced by the clean air.
03-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #24
PDL
Pentaxian

While the camera is in sensor cleaning mode - the shutter is open, so the blades are out of the way, so I do not see how they could be damaged. But if you are using a big vacuum cleaner (like one that can hold a bowling ball) then just how do you get the end of the cleaner "close" to the sensor. You would be sucking more air from outside of the camera into the shutter/mirror box - and the air outside the camera is not dust free - unless you work an IC fab company. Add into that the amount of suction could pull lubricants, residual dust etc into the mirror box. I think this is a bogus way to clean dust - did Mr. Rockwell do this on his D3? - I would like to see the size of his eyes when someone starts going for his D3 with a vacuum cleaner the size of a small child --- now that's funny.

I recommend going to the following site as a starting point for getting your arms around how to clean your sensor. - yeah they sell stuff but the information is pretty reliable.
Cleaning Digital Cameras - Introduction

Edit:
It has been a little while since I was on this site, so I decided to take a look see. I found an interesting statement on this page: Cleaning Digital Cameras - Precautions
quote: "If Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Sigma, can tell that you have touched the sensor, your warranty is void." - emphasis is mine. Be careful out there.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

Last edited by PDL; 03-22-2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: added the Edit - spell checked
03-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Edit:
It has been a little while since I was on this site, so I decided to take a look see. I found an interesting statement on this page: Cleaning Digital Cameras - Precautions
quote: "If Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Sigma, can tell that you have touched the sensor, your warranty is void." - emphasis is mine. Be careful out there.
Given that Pentax only recommend and sell a contact cleaner I'd be suspect of the validity of that statement.
03-22-2008, 10:27 PM   #26
PDL
Pentaxian

If you use the Pentax cleaner - does it leave traces that Pentax can find? A good cleaner will not leave a trace. If they can detect it - you did something bad.

03-22-2008, 11:06 PM   #27
Inactive Account

I dont see why cleaning is so feared... its way to much hype... i too was afraid and thought of all the what ifs that could happen while cleaning, but after several wet cleanings its not that big of a deal anymore... i wet clean mine once every month or two, kimwipes and a popsicle stick leveled off to wrap the kimwipe around and a few drops of eclipse... swipe side to side a couple times and bam... immaculately clean sensor...

also,
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
If you use the Pentax cleaner - does it leave traces that Pentax can find? A good cleaner will not leave a trace. If they can detect it - you did something bad.

ive had my k10d in twice for service, once to map out dead pixels and a 2nd time to fix the leaning view finder... i had cleaned the sensor numerous times before the camera was sent to them, kimwipe/popsicle/eclipse method... they never called me to ask if i had touched the sensor lol... once again, way to much hype about this it seems

Last edited by pentaxbling; 03-22-2008 at 11:14 PM.
03-22-2008, 11:36 PM   #28
Veteran Member

How can anyone take Ken Rockwell seriously?
Just take a look at the main photo on the home page of his website and tell me what's wrong with the photo of presumably him in the yellow tee-shirt and reversed baseball cap.

KenRockwell.com

Hint - take a look at the position of the camera shutter release and LCD...
03-22-2008, 11:38 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Really, Cleaning the the sensor is a reality of life in the DSLR world. I bought a really good kit with brushes and all and service all my stuff regularly. I am so comfortable doing it, that I have become somewhat lax when I am changing lenses...

Now as for the vacuum cleaner, that is ridiculous in my opinion...That would indeed draw stuff in as it is a sealed body...
03-23-2008, 03:14 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I was rather surprised to learn that "no tools" actually means "vacuum cleaner".