Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-21-2008, 12:09 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Sensor cleaning method - no tools - 100% effective and safe - 30 seconds.

Did a sky shot today and crap, there's dust on the sensor. Tons of it. Well about 8 specs.

So I took Ken Rockwells advice (I know, I know!!)... and flipped the mirror and used a vacuum cleaner, level with the lens mount. For 30 seconds.

Result? Perfect. 0 dust particles. Beats sending it in for a service. And as long as you're careful (ie: clean the vacuum nozzle first) and don't shove it into the body, what's there to lose?

Just an FYI and of course, YMMV.

03-21-2008, 12:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting ... but not sure if I'd want to put a Dyson close to it ... hee hee.

I'd be worried if something that may be slightly lose ... or not that secure internally ... gets sucked out of the camera body by accident.

It does sound interesting though.
03-21-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
YMMV,
It sounds good, but I think that I would put a filter, such as a face mask between the vacuum and the body. You still should have enough suction, without the risk of back streaming particles.

Dave
03-21-2008, 01:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

How powerful is your vacuum cleaner?
Is a Hoover car sweeper enough?

03-21-2008, 02:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

that sounds interesting I just got my K10D and am dreading the day dust comes to town on me
03-21-2008, 04:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I doubt this method is more effective than a hand blower.
03-21-2008, 04:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
I doubt this method is more effective than a hand blower.
I also have my doubts...

Except for a couple of specs that didn't came out that simple, the rocket blower always worked for me.

But nice idea though, i might give it a try someday.

03-21-2008, 05:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It is interesting idea but I would be worried about all the dust particles flying out of the vacuum's exhaust thingy.

On the other hand Rocket Blower rocks. First time I used it it removed all dust specs that I had. Just few blows did it.
03-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Dangerous!

I don't think this method is "safe". IMO, it is very dangerous.

Putting aside that the vacuum cleaner by itself is a very dirty thing which full of dust (even you cleaned the nozzle), the huge suction force may damage the delicate camera parts like the very thin shutter curtain.

So, just don't try it. If you success this time, you're just *lucky*! Just use an air-blower in the first place to do the job! If the dust particles are sticky, use wet clean (Sensor Swap etc.) or use the Pentax official method to clean (a delicate cleaning tip/head and a cleaning paper for the head).

Lastly, I can't imagine when an air-blower cannot do the job, a vacuum cleaner can! (in case of sticky dust particles)

QuoteOriginally posted by 123K10D Quote
Did a sky shot today and crap, there's dust on the sensor. Tons of it. Well about 8 specs.

So I took Ken Rockwells advice (I know, I know!!)... and flipped the mirror and used a vacuum cleaner, level with the lens mount. For 30 seconds.

Result? Perfect. 0 dust particles. Beats sending it in for a service. And as long as you're careful (ie: clean the vacuum nozzle first) and don't shove it into the body, what's there to lose?

Just an FYI and of course, YMMV.
03-21-2008, 06:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This is basically my technique- I use a cotton swab to knock loose the particles then blow across the mount opening which creates a vacuum sucking the dust particles out. My tools are usually only a Q-tip and my lungs.

It works very well and has not damaged the glass covering the sensor in any way.
03-21-2008, 06:32 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I don't think this method is "safe". IMO, it is very dangerous.

Putting aside that the vacuum cleaner by itself is a very dirty thing which full of dust (even you cleaned the nozzle), the huge suction force may damage the delicate camera parts like the very thin shutter curtain.

So, just don't try it. If you success this time, you're just *lucky*! Just use an air-blower in the first place to do the job! If the dust particles are sticky, use wet clean (Sensor Swap etc.) or use the Pentax official method to clean (a delicate cleaning tip/head and a cleaning paper for the head).

Lastly, I can't imagine when an air-blower cannot do the job, a vacuum cleaner can! (in case of sticky dust particles)
RH

I can't agree more.

If the force of directed air from a blower won't remove the dust, then the indirect air flowing over the sensor from a vacuum won't do it either.

Additionally, where does the air come from that the vacuum sucks in?

on a K10D the camera is sealed, therefore the vacuum is either putting a very high pressure on the seals, trying to make them fail, or the air is coming in around the lens mount, at the vacuum nozzle, and not going past the sensor at all.

to me, if the sensor was 100% cleaned by this method, it is pure luck.

The only possible use I can see for a vacuum, is a very low speed (air speed that is) one, with a hepa filter, about 2-3 inches away from the camera to capture any dust that you dislodge with the blower, but this should only be done in a clean room, because the air movement in the room, caused by the vacuum will be moving past the lens opening all the time, potentially dropping more dust into the lens.
03-21-2008, 07:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Crazy Ken Rockwell !

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
RH

I can't agree more.
:-))

The OT poster said it is taught by Ken Rockwell, is it true? It seems like he has just too many DSLRs and lenses for him to abuse and his cleaning methods are often crazy! e.g., use the shirt sleeves to clean lens optics etc. - well, at least a tissue or even toilet paper is better, I bet!
03-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
: it is taught by Ken Rockwell
Ken Rockwell is like Chuck Norris, he just use a vacuum cleaner instead of a kick to beat the dust out of.... sensor.
03-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps another lens cleaning device - a small tabletop vacuum with a k mount. Attach the camera with the back facing up toward the ceiling, raise the mirror and turn on the vacuum unit. That is if it works...
03-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

We had a discussion relating Rockwell to Norris...some good stuff...and yeah, the only thing of his I use is Tshirt for cleaning lenses. But that was also recommended to me to clean my glasses so...