Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Scene Modes On The K100D

Hey All,
As a brand new Pentax DSLR owner, I am curious if the scene modes are just gimmicks like my Fuji cameras were, or are they really useful?

Thanks
Barry

Last edited by shutterpuppy; 03-21-2008 at 11:58 AM.
03-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to admit, that I tried a Kids scene, 'cause I have a litle baby.... but....not usefull for me.
I didn't tried anything else. Sorry. I just don't like the camera takes control. Well some would say, that I don't need digital camera, but that's how it is.
03-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The settings I have used on occasion are the sports mode and landscape mode. But if they were not there I wouldn't miss them.
03-21-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, and Yes. Some people will say they are gimmicks. Some people will say they're useful. Most people in here, I think, will lean towards the first position. I have tried out a couple of the Scene settings on my K100D, just because I had a sunrise I wanted to catch and (a) I had only had the camera about a week, and (b) it was 0 degrees (F) with a stiff breeze blowing, and I did not want frostbite from fiddling with buttons myself...

Here's the result: yet another sunrise by ~RoxnDox on deviantART

My personal position on the question is that they *could* be useful in some settings, but use them as a learning tool to figure out what sorts of settings work under what conditions, then you can take control over the settings from there...

Jim

03-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I used some of the settings briefly until I came up to speed on the Av, Tv, and manual settings. I think they can be useful for those just entering the digital world...
03-21-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I never use scene settings, my K10D dosn't have them and I don't miss them at all. I didn't use them on my fuji dijicam.

The most control I would hand over to the camera is the shutter speed as I normally shoot in Av with ISO forced to 100 and will probably use EV compensation
03-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The sports mode bumps the shutter up and changes the AF mode tp AF-C, so it saves a minor bit of menu navigation. But, all scene modes use "bright mode" so that can cause some "glowing" colors, unless you are shooting in RAW and change that setting in processing.

Many people say "M" or "Av" etc, provides bettter images, but that is a myth. The mode used - whether auto or manual or anything in between - makes no difference whatsover to the "quality" of the image. There is nothing different if the camera "automatically" sets the shutter and aperture to 1/500 and f4, or the photographer does.

What is really meant - though not explained - is that the light meter's suggested exposure must be interpreted (very light/dark subject? backlit?) and in this regard, the camera may choose an incorrect setting - regardless of "mode".

Many posters "poo-poo" the use if scene modes, but if you are happy with the results, use them.

03-22-2008, 01:46 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I used the scene modes a few times when I first got my K100D, but didn't care too much for them. But as said above, if you like them, then use them. I can see where they might be handy for some.
03-23-2008, 08:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Many posters "poo-poo" the use if scene modes, but if you are happy with the results, use them.

USE THEM until you learn more about the camera. They're quick & easy to set up so you don't miss a shot because you're hunting for the right settings.

The night portrait and sunrise/sunset modes were good to me when I first got my K100D out of the box. I've got 29 years of film photography under my belt with the K1000 all manual camera, and until I got more comfortable with the new digital, the scene modes kept me in the game with a minimal learning curve.

Got the camera in November and have moved into working with the white balance adjustments and other tweaks to get better results so now I rarely use the picture & scene modes, but they were useful when I needed them.

Funny that the same people who poo-poo the auto settings will sing the glories of post processing. To those of you who rely on post processing I say this:

From my perspective, having to post process to make your pictures 'POP' is nothing more than salvaging a bad picture. Electronic enhancement is electronic enhancement - in camera or post processing. If you start with a good picture, you should be able to get the effects you intended with focus, filters, and lighting. In my opinion you should be able to take your picture out of the camera & print it. Period. Then I'll be impressed with your photography skills.

Until then I'm just fine with a little help from camera for anybody, myself included. Getting the composition from viewfinder to final product is most important. If it means using automatic settings, then fine. Just dont' miss the shot. Nothing will kill enthusiasm for photography quicker than missing that perfect moment, time and again, because you're fiddling with camera settings. Flip the thing to auto, capture the moment, post process if needed. But you'll have the shot, so it's all good.

Gentleman Jim
03-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Nice thoughts Gentleman Jim. I totally agree with you.
03-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey Craig

QuoteOriginally posted by craig1024 Quote
Nice thoughts Gentleman Jim. I totally agree with you.
I see you use Tamron lenses, I'm thinking about buying the 70-300mm AF one for the cam since it's much lighter weight than the Vivitar 70-210 non AF zoom that came with package I got off Ebay, have you used the lens before, any big differences in quality over buying the Pentax lens of the same focal length?
03-23-2008, 04:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

shutterpuppy:

Check out the lens review database in these forums. Lots of good information to digest there. Many Tamron lenses are good, but I made the mistake of picking up a very cheap 28-80 Tamron lens that is sub-par. I have found some use & utility from it, but my money could have been spent better elsewhere.

Bottom line, research before you plunk down cash for a lens. You'll be glad you did investigate, and even if you don't buy top of the line you'll at least know you got good product for your level of investment.
03-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
I see you use Tamron lenses, I'm thinking about buying the 70-300mm AF one for the cam since it's much lighter weight than the Vivitar 70-210 non AF zoom that came with package I got off Ebay, have you used the lens before, any big differences in quality over buying the Pentax lens of the same focal length?
I'm quite happy with mine but have seem some cromatic aberation on snow/architechture shots
03-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
I'm quite happy with mine but have seem some cromatic aberation on snow/architechture shots
Do you happen to recall if those shots were taken beyond the 200mm focal range? There are generally some issues with the big telephotos at the ends of the zoom ranges. Just wanted that info for the thread readers...
03-24-2008, 12:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Do you happen to recall if those shots were taken beyond the 200mm focal range? There are generally some issues with the big telephotos at the ends of the zoom ranges. Just wanted that info for the thread readers...
oh yes you are perfectly correct it was at 300 mm so you say that up to 200 its better

well thats ok because its really at 300mm when set to 200mm due to the crop factor of the K10D