Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
As a previous poster said, it is a very versatile combo, even indoors. An f/2.8 lens is two stops faster than f/5.6. But you can get more than two stops of ISO from the 16 MP sensor in the K-30 and its contemporaries, more than enough to offset the "degradation" of the slower 18-135 mm lens. You will be able to take shots in lower light, that you would have had no chance to capture a few years ago with any zoom lens.

SD storage is cheap, so take a lot of practice shots before you go, indoors and outdoors, with and without flash. You only have a month, so I'd suggest you explore hyper-program mode, and don't worry too much about learning all the other shooting modes for now.

And yes, by all means, if you have specific concerns, post your photos or your questions in a new thread here, asking what went wrong, or what you could have done better. Everyone on PF loves to critique.

Once you are on your vacation, keep it simple. I have a boatload of lenses and you might grow your own collection, but you really don't want to carry too much stuff with you when you are on vacation, especially if the camera is new to you. You will spend more time fussing with your lenses and changing your options than concentrating on composing your shots, which is the real key to good photos. If you haven't mastered all the various shooting modes, it is okay to shoot in Program mode, or even Auto mode, don't let others shame you into thinking you have to shoot in an all-manual mode!

You might receive more responses to this question, if you post a new thread in the accessories forum.
I don't think the 18-135 will let you down, a great range to start with and even if you move on to better performing zooms or primes it will have aplace as your harsh weather lens, or your party (beware beer spillage) lens or your back up if something fails or you second body lens.

And being a belt and braces kind of guy, its also worth putting a 18-55 WR lens in the bottom of back pack too - similar reasons as above - the DA version can be got for $120 (AUS) at times on e-bay and the DAL version probably cheaper again.

Enjoy your Pentax - I'm sure you'll have a blast.

08-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Had a chance to charge up the battery and try it out. It works great and it's not as heavy as I expected. One thing I noticed, when rotating the camera from side to side about an axis through the center of the camera lens, the camera makes a noise almost as if something inside is loose and slowly sliding back and forth. It's similar to rotating a pack of cards and feeling the cards bump the top and bottom of the box. Maybe the sensor or shutter mechanism is sliding back and forth? Is this normal? It doesn't crash from side to side but instead makes smooth and solid bump sound.

Also, a lot of my photos are still quite blurry. I've tried to get around this by bracing the camera on something and by dropping the shutter speed (often resulting in darker than real life photos). Are there any other settings that will help fight blurry photos on the camera?
08-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
Had a chance to charge up the battery and try it out. It works great and it's not as heavy as I expected. One thing I noticed, when rotating the camera from side to side about an axis through the center of the camera lens, the camera makes a noise almost as if something inside is loose and slowly sliding back and forth. It's similar to rotating a pack of cards and feeling the cards bump the top and bottom of the box. Maybe the sensor or shutter mechanism is sliding back and forth? Is this normal? It doesn't crash from side to side but instead makes smooth and solid bump sound.
Yes, it is as it should be. It's the shake reduction system.

QuoteQuote:
Also, a lot of my photos are still quite blurry. I've tried to get around this by bracing the camera on something and by dropping the shutter speed (often resulting in darker than real life photos). Are there any other settings that will help fight blurry photos on the camera?
Could you upload some pictures with EXIF information intact? Much easier to give useful advice then.

But generally: Try setting 1/250 or even 1/500 and see if you can get sharp images then. Also be sure to enable SR, and give the system time to stabilise before taking the picture (the green hand icon should light up).

Do you have a tripod? Try that and use the timer for delayed shutter release.
08-14-2013, 03:55 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
What are some good ways to quickly ascend the learning curve?
Vacation is the best time to learn since you're probably going to really photogenic places... best way is to go through TAv or M mode, that worked for me at least, and of course by reading the manual (the "shooting modes" part is really handy!)

good luck and enjoy!

08-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yes, it is as it should be. It's the shake reduction system.

Could you upload some pictures with EXIF information intact? Much easier to give useful advice then.

But generally: Try setting 1/250 or even 1/500 and see if you can get sharp images then. Also be sure to enable SR, and give the system time to stabilise before taking the picture (the green hand icon should light up).

Do you have a tripod? Try that and use the timer for delayed shutter release.
I have been shorting in 16 megapixel jpeg. I recently changed it to Raw+. Is there anything special I must do to ensure an uploaded picture has EXIF data? For online critiquing us jpeg or raw better?
Currently all the photos are on an SD card. It seems that sometimes the camera won't let me drop down the shutter speed down (or is it up) to 1/250 or 1/500. Is there a reason the camera might now allow this? Maybe I was in the wrong mode. When I get close to that range the pictures turn out very dark though. I have followed your advice with the green dot, shooting only when it's solid and not blinking. I have been shooting in TAv or manual. I'll be purchasing a travel tripod.

On a different topic, I have read that some suggest only deleting pictures on the camera with the SD card inside. Reviewing and deleting photos from a computer or iPad with SD card reader has the potential to ruin the folder file structure and possibly make photos corrupt. Is this generally the consensus among the pros here?