Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #1

Upgrading from *sitD

Been shooting Pentax since 1980. I'm wanting to upgrade from my *ist D model - and want to spend in the $600-$750 range. Suggestions?

08-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now is a good time to upgrade so I am also saving my pennies

There are a couple different ways you can go about it.

First, if you already have lenses you like, and you just need a body, K-5 bodies are selling for 600-700 dollars everywhere. Used, for even less than that. But if I had your budget, I'd find 9 dollars somewhere and go for this deal on the K-5 II:
Pentax K-5 II Camera Body Only

If you want the 18-55 WR lens, and very close to what the K-5 offers, plus Focus Peaking (very useful for those old manual lenses!), there's an incredible deal at Hunts on the K-30:
http://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/detail_page.cfm?productid=15601&mfg=Pentax

Like I said, it's a good time to upgrade When the new flagship camera comes out later this year, I doubt prices are going to fall that much over what you can already get on those cameras.
08-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd say go for either the k-30 or k-50, whichever is cheaper st your preferred store. More info on these cameras can be found in our review section:

Http://www.pentaxforums.com/review/

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

K30 is the best bang-for-buck deal out there now, imo. You might want to hang on to your *istD, too. It still has some features not found on newer models & would be a nice backup camera.

08-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Yos
Veteran Member

+1 For a K-30 or a K-50.
If you already have a good to decent lens collection the K-30 or K-50 will be a great upgrade.
Take the time and read the reviews about the K-30 & K-50 and it might help you decide
I am very happy with my K-30 and tbh I don't regret that I didn't buy a K-5/K-5II(s)

Good luck deciding

Cheers
Yos
08-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I also still have the *istD - and I find it hard to think about parting with it.

It is really difficult to say whether the K-5 or K-30 is a better deal because your style of shooting will help dictate the decision.

Biggest edges for the K-5: Quieter shutter, much better battery life, ability to take auxiliary grip, better resale value long-term.

Biggest edges for the K-30: Much better live view and focus peaking for MF lenses; better overall AF, especially when using CDAF (live view).

Due to 14-bit processor, K-5 has a very slight edge in lower shadow noise (extreme pixel peeking to see the difference), K-5 is very slightly better in build and WR, ergonomics, and durability.

K-30 has a slightly better video set up, but the K-5 is better for audio - and has mic-in. K-30 seems to work with a properly matched pTTL flash better, but K-5 on-board flash is slightly stronger.

Several minor high-end features are included in the K-5 such as dedicated mirror lock and rear infrared (but most of these can be worked around easily on the K-30).

As I am big into manual focusing lenses, I was slightly more drawn toward the K-30. Getting a great deal on the K-30 with the higher-end DA 18-55 WR (quick shift and metal mount - not available on the K-50 kit) was a clincher for me.