Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 06:01 AM   #16
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 270
how do you find out the total shots fired on the camera? my sd card had previous images on it.

03-24-2008, 07:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,563
QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
how do you find out the total shots fired on the camera? my sd card had previous images on it.
I hope I understand your question right;

Option 1: you want to know what photos on your SD card are made by your K10D and which are not?
Look at the name of the files. Your Pentax files are all named: IMGP0XXX.pef or .jpg or IMG_0XXX.dng depending on the file type selected in the menu.
Also, you can have a look at the EXIF data in the files. That will give you much more detail, like camera name, shutter speed, aperture, lens, flash, etc. etc.
Exif data can be displayed easily using many different photo type software packages, or by examining the properties of the file in Windows.

Option 2: you want to know how many photos are taken by your camera?
Not something that is easy to answer:
Since you can reset the counter used by the camera to name the files on the SD card, looking at this number is not a reliable source of knowing.
You can have a look at the shutter counter: PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor , however, that is not reliable either. Since Pentax QA uses tests the camera before shipping this counter is not on zero when you unpack your camera, also, there various possibilties to release the shutter without increasing the filename counter (without taking an actual photo!):
a) Digital DOF preview when the digital option is chosen by menu, moving you on/off swich to the right,
b) double recording,
c) cleaning the sensor.

Option 3: you want to know how many times your camera's shutter was released?
Easy, download PhotoME, shoot a RAW image and examine it with PhotoME.

Hope this helps.

- Bert
03-24-2008, 08:22 AM   #18
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,873
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
I hope I understand your question right;

Option 1: you want to know what photos on your SD card are made by your K10D and which are not?
Look at the name of the files. Your Pentax files are all named: IMGP0XXX.pef or .jpg or IMG_0XXX.dng depending on the file type selected in the menu.
Also, you can have a look at the EXIF data in the files. That will give you much more detail, like camera name, shutter speed, aperture, lens, flash, etc. etc.
Exif data can be displayed easily using many different photo type software packages, or by examining the properties of the file in Windows.

Option 2: you want to know how many photos are taken by your camera?
Not something that is easy to answer:
Since you can reset the counter used by the camera to name the files on the SD card, looking at this number is not a reliable source of knowing.
You can have a look at the shutter counter: PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor , however, that is not reliable either. Since Pentax QA uses tests the camera before shipping this counter is not on zero when you unpack your camera, also, there various possibilties to release the shutter without increasing the filename counter (without taking an actual photo!):
a) Digital DOF preview when the digital option is chosen by menu, moving you on/off swich to the right,
b) double recording,
c) cleaning the sensor.

Option 3: you want to know how many times your camera's shutter was released?
Easy, download PhotoME, shoot a RAW image and examine it with PhotoME.

Hope this helps.

- Bert
Bert, thanks for the great response. Now I know that DOF preview, multiple exposure and sensor cleaning do increase the shutter count (not just pictures taken).

BTW, the shutter count may not mean much to most people, but it would be useful information for those who intend to purchase used camera. Oh, I think you can just use jpeg file instead of RAW to get the same result.
03-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: York Region Canada
Posts: 642
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Dave/Denis,

Can you respond please? Did you use PhotoME to reveal the actual shutter count when you first get your brand new K10D? Thanks,
No i did not use PhotoMe. I never heard of it until this thread.

Dave

03-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 168
One of my K10D bodies had a LOWER shutter count when it came back from Pentax repair than before, at least according to PhotoME. Doesn't make much sense. Also, the Revision Number changed from 1.5 to 8.5. The Manufacture Date remained the same - December 2005. It would really make no sense if THAT had changed. But I wonder how accurate the data in PhotoME really is. It recorded the shutter speed of a photo I recently took as 1/90sec but it actually was 1/125sec. Both Photoshop and FastStone recorded it correctly.

Richard
03-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #21
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,873
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
There is a software (ExifTool) to check the actual shutter count of pretty much any dSLR camera. I checked my K20D, and found the camera had about 300 clicks before it was put in box in the factory, although the out of box file no. started from 0001...
Credit to Frank, there is another "exiftool" to validate that. Also, make sure you have the latest version of PhotoMetaEditor. I would question the integrity of the shutter count; just like someone messing with the odometer of a car. Cheers,
03-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #22
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 270
seems like too much work if my camera is working fine..
03-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #23
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,563
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote
One of my K10D bodies had a LOWER shutter count when it came back from Pentax repair than before, at least according to PhotoME. Doesn't make much sense. Also, the Revision Number changed from 1.5 to 8.5. The Manufacture Date remained the same - December 2005. It would really make no sense if THAT had changed. But I wonder how accurate the data in PhotoME really is. It recorded the shutter speed of a photo I recently took as 1/90sec but it actually was 1/125sec. Both Photoshop and FastStone recorded it correctly.

Richard
Many people believe the revision number is the real hardware / pc-board revision that Pentax is using. You've probably got either a new camera or a new printed circuit board into it.
It would be nice to have a Pentax engineer response to this question.

- Bert

03-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #24
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 168
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Many people believe the revision number is the real hardware / pc-board revision that Pentax is using. You've probably got either a new camera or a new printed circuit board into it.
It would be nice to have a Pentax engineer response to this question.

- Bert
The camera I got back had the same serial number as well as the glass LCD protector I bought still attached so I think it's the same camera. The Packing Slip mentioned "Replacement or adjustment of electronic autofocus circuit including focus motor and encoder, CCD focus device and laser alignment of mirrors."

The firmware was updated to 1.3. The autofocus problem is gone though the camera now consistently underexposes (in AV mode). However, that's easily compensated for so I'm not about to send it back. Every time a camera is shipped back and forth, there is a risk of damage.

As for the shutter count - who knows?

Richard
03-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #25
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,563
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote
The firmware was updated to 1.3. The autofocus problem is gone though the camera now consistently underexposes (in AV mode). However, that's easily compensated for so I'm not about to send it back. Every time a camera is shipped back and forth, there is a risk of damage.

As for the shutter count - who knows?

Richard
You're right, the exposure is easily corrected. Shoot RAW, use Adobe's Lightroom for PP.

You are sure the you're not in spot measurement mode?

My camera suffers from the same problem according to many s/w packages. Lately I tend to more and more agreed with my K10D, somehow the shots straight out of the camera look better and better to me...

- Bert
03-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #26
Junior Member
dancel's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 49
Im not sure how accurate it is.

My photome stats.

K10D before opening: 900+
K100D before opening: 1000+
03-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #27
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,873
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dancel Quote
My photome stats.

K10D before opening: 900+
K100D before opening: 1000+

Dancel, did you purchase your camera from the local store? and did you purchase the same one after you have tested a few shots with it (most people do that)?

However, I usually asked for a brand new one after I tested the camera (choosing between brand names and models).

I read somewhere that the K10D/K100D warranty covers up to 100,000 shutter actuation or 2 years whatever comes first. Therefore, 1000 actuation may not mean much. Most likely I would have replaced the camera with a new model before it reaches its half usable-life of 50,000 actuation count.
03-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #28
Junior Member
dancel's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 49
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Dancel, did you purchase your camera from the local store? and did you purchase the same one after you have tested a few shots with it (most people do that)?

However, I usually asked for a brand new one after I tested the camera (choosing between brand names and models).

I read somewhere that the K10D/K100D warranty covers up to 100,000 shutter actuation or 2 years whatever comes first. Therefore, 1000 actuation may not mean much. Most likely I would have replaced the camera with a new model before it reaches its half usable-life of 50,000 actuation count.

i got both brand new, not tested or anything both camera's was 00000 the photoME said i have taken that much shutter count. i dont know if i should trust that honestly. the k10d was manufactured august 17 2007 purchased on september 22 2007, so yea i dont know how accurate photoME really is.
03-26-2008, 08:29 AM   #29
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 168
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
You're right, the exposure is easily corrected. Shoot RAW, use Adobe's Lightroom for PP.

You are sure the you're not in spot measurement mode?

My camera suffers from the same problem according to many s/w packages. Lately I tend to more and more agreed with my K10D, somehow the shots straight out of the camera look better and better to me...

- Bert
I mostly shoot in matrix mode (or whatever Pentax calls it) and shoot RAW exclusively. Then PP in CS2. Before the repair and firmware update, exposure was usually right on the money. Now it consistently underexposes by up to a stop. And this is easily seen on the camera's histogram before downloading the images to my computer.

My response to this phenomenon is to set exposure compensation to about +.7 or so.

Richard
04-18-2008, 06:32 AM   #30
jdg
Forum Member
jdg's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cavite, Philippines
Posts: 85
I just got my k100d super and the very first photo i shot(imgp0001) out of the box has a shutter count of 176 in photome.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, count, dslr, forum, k10d, k10d shutter, photography, shutter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: K10D - excellent+ condition, low shutter count figure-five Sold Items 4 11-28-2008 12:06 PM
Does Shutter Count, Count? CertEdFriday Pentax DSLR Discussion 20 11-27-2008 04:27 AM
K10D Shutter Count. NLAlston Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 12-31-2006 08:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top