Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Shutter count & Warranty

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Dancel, did you purchase your camera from the local store? and did you purchase the same one after you have tested a few shots with it (most people do that)?

However, I usually asked for a brand new one after I tested the camera (choosing between brand names and models).

I read somewhere that the K10D/K100D warranty covers up to 100,000 shutter actuation or 2 years whatever comes first. Therefore, 1000 actuation may not mean much. Most likely I would have replaced the camera with a new model before it reaches its half usable-life of 50,000 actuation count.
I just checked the warranty information printed in the back of the manual for my K10D (a US version). There is no mention of shutter count.

The first sentence:

"All PENTAX cameras purchased through authorized bona fide photographic distribution channels are guaranteed against defects of material or workmanship for a period of twelve months from date of purchase." The next page and a half detail the exceptions (abuse, tampering, etc.) and the procedures for making a warranty claim.

I've heard that 100,000 number, as well. I think it is more of a design goal than a warranty promise. That is, the designers built it to last that long, but the marketers are not making the financial commitment to the customers to state that in the warranty. They may have even tested a K10D mechanism for 100,000 actuations in the lab.

04-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you guys tried Opanda?(Nobody has mentioned it yet) Dunno if it's more accurate or worse than photoME, but pros here use Opanda though.

Anyway, when I got my K100 the shutter was about 400+...

And for those that had a 0 shutter out of the box, maybe you got copies that weren't tested for QA. My wife (an auditor, and has done much QA testing for electronics companies) says that when a batch of products need testing, they just randomly test about 10% of the total number of products... with hundreds (thousands?) of K10D's to test, I don't think they tested each and every one...