Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New K10D shutter count

Hi, All, I consider myself a newbie with limited experience and knowledge in general photography. I did learn a great deal though from all the folks here in this forum (thanks!!) since I purchased my K100D a year ago and have recently added the K10D; and I like them both.

I just noticed that when I purchased my K10D back in Jan/08 - the first photo I took had a shutter count of 86. Is this normal (should it be very low like 5-10)? or did I get a demo version instead? So far, I am very happy with the K10D since it does not appear to have any BF/FF problem as some people in this forum have identified - no reason to complian here - just curious. Thanks,

03-22-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Hi, All, I consider myself a newbie with limited experience and knowledge in general photography. I did learn a great deal though from all the folks here in this forum (thanks!!) since I purchased my K100D a year ago and have recently added the K10D; and I like them both.

I just noticed that when I purchased my K10D back in Jan/08 - the first photo I took had a shutter count of 86. Is this normal (should it be very low like 5-10)? or did I get a demo version instead? So far, I am very happy with the K10D since it does not appear to have any BF/FF problem as some people in this forum have identified - no reason to complian here - just curious. Thanks,
Yep, resulting conclusion from previous discussions on this forum is that all cameras have a shutter count in that range. We assume it is the result of factory QA.

- Bert
03-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Bert, for a quick response. I am thinking about the same thing with a brand new car purchase, our new SUV came with about the same mileage (KM) -80 when I got the key from the dealer a year ago.
03-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

All of the Dslr's i have purchased new, had 0 as shutter count, until i played with it at the store to make sure it was ok.

Dave

03-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

80 on a camera sounds about right. 80 miles on a new car sounds a bit high. My last truck I bought that was new had 5 miles on it. Sounds like the dealer took it home a few times!
03-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
All of the Dslr's i have purchased new, had 0 as shutter count, until i played with it at the store to make sure it was ok.

Dave
Mine was also at zero out of the box.

Denis
03-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote

Dave
Dave, did you use PhotoME to get the shutter count? When I powered up my K10D the first time, I had to enter the time, time zone etc. - the file count starts with 0; but PhotoME reveals the actual count including manufacture date and revision number.

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
80 on a camera sounds about right. 80 miles on a new car sounds a bit high. My last truck I bought that was new had 5 miles on it. Sounds like the dealer took it home a few times!
Sorry, it was 80KM or about 50 miles on the odometer; I suspect that the dealer gave the car to potential buyers to test drive a few more rounds before I got the key.

QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
Mine was also at zero out of the box.

Denis
Hi, Denis, same question for you... did you use PhotoME to get the count?
Thanks to all for your input.

03-23-2008, 05:50 AM   #8
les
Inactive Account

Hi Denis,
I have photoME, but where in this software does it tell you the shutter count.
Thanks Les
03-23-2008, 07:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les Quote
Hi Denis,
I have photoME, but where in this software does it tell you the shutter count.
Thanks Les
Look for "Shutter Count" at offset 5D in the Manufacturer's Notes (for the K10d)
03-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dave/Denis,

Can you respond please? Did you use PhotoME to reveal the actual shutter count when you first get your brand new K10D? Thanks,
03-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Dave/Denis,

Can you respond please? Did you use PhotoME to reveal the actual shutter count when you first get your brand new K10D? Thanks,
As far as I can remember, in the older discussions on this topic no member using PhotoME found a shutter count of 0. Of course all cameras started numbering photos at IMGP0000.

All cameras had a higher shutter count than that using PhotoME.
Three things may have happened:

1. Either Pentax trusts its manufacturing so now it thinks it can do with less QA, or
2. They've lower production costs by eliminating some QA steps at the risk of more DOA cameras with new purchases around the world.
3. The other people reporting shutter usage, have been looking at the IMGPXXXX counter.

- Bert
03-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My K10D had 232 shutter actuations out of the box.
03-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to Bert and Rick for your response. So, my conclusion is that there will be some shutter count (other than 0) for QA purposes when the camera is out of the manufacturing plant. The shutter count various depending on the QA process; there is nothing to worry about unless it is excessive high (I guess).

Thanks again to all,
03-23-2008, 11:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

There is a software (ExifTool) to check the actual shutter count of pretty much any dSLR camera. I checked my K20D, and found the camera had about 300 clicks before it was put in box in the factory, although the out of box file no. started from 0001...
03-24-2008, 04:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
There is a software (ExifTool) to check the actual shutter count of pretty much any dSLR camera. I checked my K20D, and found the camera had about 300 clicks before it was put in box in the factory, although the out of box file no. started from 0001...
Frank, I guess PhotoME does the same thing. One can change the file no. starting from 0001 via software reset (set everything back to default). However, I believe the shutter count field will never get reset (unless there is a special way known by the manufacturer only or hackers).

It is nice and comforting to know though; this could mean that more QA works are done to the K20D before leaving the manufacturing plant.