Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

Should I wait?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a k5iis with my tax return in a couple of weeks.

Is there likely to be a new model that changes things majorly in the next few months? Obviously I don't want to buy one to then have it superseded a couple of weeks/months later.

Thanks!

08-07-2013, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
well, its all a matter of how you personally view the importance of having the latest/greatest technology in your hands vs getting a "bang for the buck". i personally prefer the latter. I had the K-7 for the longest time, I upgraded to a K-5 once the K-5iis were out and I was able to find a K-5 new for around $700. I feel absolutely no desire of getting a K-5ii right now. If a full frame comes out on the other hand I could def see myself pulling the trigger (depending on what it is like of course). So yea, it is all a matter of your own personal view. I really doubt that there will be marginally any noticeable difference in the image quality or usability of the K-5ii vs whatever the next model is gonna be. However, you can get a K-5ii at a really nice price right now and start taking pictures immediately. This to me is what photography is all about!!

Last edited by oxidized; 08-07-2013 at 09:13 PM.
08-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Meant to be some news on September 5th apparently if you can wait that long, although the actual release will be after that- I say grab the K5iis after the 5th as prices will be sure to drop further.
08-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Nobody knows. Everyone would just be guessing.

My take on it is that the K5IIs will be an excellent choice that will last you for quite a while. If you are certain about the crop sensor then having a newer model won't make that much difference, especially off of the IIs.

If you just like technical gadgets you can always trade up... but it's highly unlikely you will outrun the capabilities of the IIs.

In other words, go for it. Why wait?

I concur with oxidized...

08-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There will always be a new model around the corner based on news, speculation, and actual availability. You can wait... and wait... and wait.... Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about that. The time you spend with the camera wandering around taking pictures and learning/appreciating/enjoying photography is worth it even if another model comes out that drops the price of a K-5 IIs. I bought a K-30 in the summer and by the time my return window closed Pentax announced a K-50 and K-500. The price of the K-30 dropped a bit but I have rolled up 2500+ shots in my adventure. Even if a FF would have been announced I would not have regretted getting my K-30 when I did. There's plenty I can do with it. It takes better pictures than I ever could!

The bigger question is would you be happy with your K-5 IIs if it landed in your lap today or would you have a nagging feeling that would prevent you from photographing?
08-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses guys.

Honest answer - a K5iis will be amazing for a long time to come, given what I will be doing with it.

The only thing that was nagging me is the video side of things. If a new one came out using mp4, with a few more controlls then that would be a reason for me to upgrade.
The amount of video I'll be doing though, especially in the near future, is minimal.

I think I just needed to hear the voices of reason haha
08-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An old saying applies here, "Those who really know are not talking - while those talking don't really know."

Who really knows what Pentax will actually do, and when they actually get around to doing what ever they are going to do - is another good guess. It looks like there may be some softness in the K5II/IIs prices - which may mean that Pentax is getting ready to do something. Your reading of the tea leaves is probably as good as ours. The K5II/IIs prices are bound to come down - but when and how much is yet another guess.

The only best thing that Pentax is really really really good at is, not saying anything of substance about the future - and if and when they do, its very difficult to figure out what they are really saying.

08-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-5 IIs is a great camera as it is, and the release of future models won't change that. I'd say go for it, as prices are starting to drop anyway now that the camera has been out for almost a year.

You can expect a future flagship to perhaps have more AF points. It will probably also be equipped with one of the newer/better high-res APS-C sensors, but nobody knows for sure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-08-2013, 04:19 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

or get K-30:
hthttp://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PENTAX-K-30-DIGITAL-SLR-BODY-ONLY-BLACK-/231027609843?pt=AU_Digital_Cameras&hash=item35ca5190f3&_uhb=1
or K-5 II :
https://www.crkennedy.com.au/pentax/index.php?q=node/331
both are being offered at very good price at Pentax Australia online shop ( see above links).
I use K-30 and K-5 and i am quite happy to wait even months for the totally new Pentax offerings....
08-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #10
Forum Member

I agree with Adam.

Just purchase the K 5 IIs or even the K 5 II which is the camera I bought last Monday (August 5, 2013).

Both models are built like a tank and ABSOLUTELY GREAT photographic tools!!!

Last edited by Diego; 08-08-2013 at 07:18 AM.
08-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lewvanbommel Quote
Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a k5iis with my tax return in a couple of weeks.

Is there likely to be a new model that changes things majorly in the next few months? Obviously I don't want to buy one to then have it superseded a couple of weeks/months later.
One thing any new model won't do is stop the K-5II/K-5IIs being an excellent camera! It will continue to be an excellent camera however many new cameras Pentax launches in future.

But my guess is that when Pentax do launch a new camera, the price of the K-IIs will fall from its current level, and the new camera will be sold at a higher price than the current K-5IIs level. And the same thing will probably happen next year with another camera. And so on. I've given up trying to spot a perfect time to upgrade.
08-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

I'll keep an eye on prices over the next couple of weeks and see what happens
08-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me, if you want a good video camera - buy a good video camera. I don't really think DSLRs will be anything but a compromise for video.

Buy a good DSLR for great still images and flexibility. Video is a distant second. A K5 and a decent video camera together won't be as expensive as the next flagship.
08-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just had a look on the Pentax Aus website. The k5II seems to be on sale pricing - $849 over the K5iis @ $1249

Given this now quite large price difference, is the sharpness increase in the K5iis considerable?

Last edited by lewvanbommel; 08-08-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Added a question.
08-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lewvanbommel Quote
Just had a look on the Pentax Aus website. The k5II seems to be on sale pricing - $849 over the K5iis @ $1249

Given this now quite large price difference, is the sharpness increase in the K5iis considerable?
If I were you I'd go for the K 5 II.

Much cheaper and a great camera, too.