Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D wins German Pro

We had threads talking about K20D and whether pros are using Pentax at all.

Well, this may be interesting news then.

German professional photographer Tilo Garben ( home ) tries and keeps K20D!

You may read about his K20D experience here:
German: Forum D-SLR Basiswissen/Kaufberatung - Pentax K20D
Googlish: bersetzte Version von http://www.fotocommunity.de/forum/read.php?f=1&i=466163&t=466163&v=f
In summary:
About the person:
Tilo Garben. Since 1994 CEO of of Miga Studio für Werbefotografie GmbH (Mode, Milieu, Technology, Catalogue Production, Action). Gear: leaf, celsis, nikon, canon 30d, canon 40d canon 400d, Mark, hasselblad elx, großformat, sony r1, pentax k20d, 8 back: phase one p25.
Citations from his experience report referenced above:
"... Our expectations have been exceeded. We assumed that the Pentax with its 14.6MP would more likely show this behaviour of the Canon [flat images, editor's remark], but the data have already been almost perfect. The Pentax shows the contrast and the necessary "boom" [German: "Bums"]. All systems cooperate well in Adobe 1998 color space, only the older [Canon] 30D has a slightly different gamut and needs a correction! The Pentax and the [Canon] 40D and [Canon] 400D show no artifacts at ISO 100. The data of the new Pentax with 14.6MP are significantly better than those of the current Canon 40D and show more detail. ..."

"... But the AF of the 20er [K20D] is very good, achieves by itself the optimum point in the bright areas. We did a first test with all cameras shot using AF. However, we couldn't use it because the Canons didn't even match the relevant part, whereas the Pentax was spot-on."

"... that a new camera in a price range, which is affordable for some, does come dangerously close to a MarkII ..."

" .. for our large data jobs we have the PhaseOne P25 backs on Hasselblad and the Canons. But I think we are going to reduce on the Canon side. ..."
[Translation: myself]

So it seems, Ben isn't alone among his European colleagues

Of course, all of this is subjective opinion. But from a pro, it does matter.

And maybe, besides "low light AF speed", one should add "full light AF accuracy" to the standard test suites

Last edited by falconeye; 03-22-2008 at 05:43 PM.
03-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Great post and article. K20D will win more awards this year than last year!
03-23-2008, 03:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Like I said, If you put a Canon 1Ds Mk ll next to a Pentax K20D and compare the images, you would have difficulty seeing the differences on a 30x40 print.

Ben
03-23-2008, 06:21 AM   #4

Completely agree, Ben. I just did a photoshoot for a friend who's entering the L'Oréal Professionnel Colour Trophy (hair, head & shoulder shots), and did some initial 12x18" prints on my HP Z3100. The details and resolution is amazing, albeit with just a DA70 at f/11. I'm really happy with the K20D.

Surely delivers quality!