Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #1

Is it worth selling my k10d?

I am about to pick up a used K-01 for my everyday carry and to backup my K5II workhorse. I feel owning two 16mp camera bodies will cause me to further ignore my aging 10mp K10D. I also know that I will probably not get more than $200 for my K10D with BG2 grip and 18-55mm. That money might allow me to pick up a 40mm 2.8 pancake for my newly acquired K-01, but is it worth parting with my classic K10D? I have also considered handing the K10D off to a family member or close friend who might benefit from it compared to their crappy p&s or iphone. But it also might be to much camera for a novice. I know that this question can ultimately only be decided by myself, but I am curious what my fellow pentaxians think. I have sold certain cameras in the past to fund future purchases and regretted it, but others I have never looked back. I still regret parting with my Fuji e550 to this day.

08-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm in EXACTLY the same boat. I have written up the kit I want to pass on, and will offer it to friends and family first. While it's potentially still useful, I just won't grab it when going outdoors...even with a split-screen.
08-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I had two K10d's for a time....great cameras. i look back on images shot with them and still am impressed. I ended up selling both a few years ago, but I did get $300+ for each so I think it made it worth it. However a part of me wishes I still had them for sentimental value.

I'd say if there is someone in your life that has an interest in photography and wants to learn on a DSLR you donate/loan it to them....knowing that if they stick with photography they will get bitten by the gear bug at some point, want to upgrade, and then you get your beloved K10 back
08-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Wow ! I am looking to upgrade from my K10 to a k5ii or K5iis. Was it difficult for you to choose between the k5ii or k5iis ? How dramatic was the change ? Did you get that "WOW" feeling using it the first times around ?

08-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have never sold one of my camera's or lenses (Nikon FM2, F801, Olympus OM2, OM4) although I don't use them anymore. I feel I'm getting not enough in return, compared to the emotional binding I have with them. I gave the OM-2 to a friend who's copy broke. He introduced me to Olympus and I wanted to do something in return.
My Pentax K5-II is in the same tradition, with a solid metal body and a simple design. So, this one is also a keeper.
08-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #6

I am still using my 2 K10D's, and I doubt I will ever sell either.
08-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Forum Member

I came about this backwards. Bought a Q, a K-01, then a K-5 IIs, then got a mint K-10D and *istD L2 for real cheap to play with.
I really like my k52s but I've also been very impressed with the k10d. Except that teh k10d didn't exactly live up to its weather-resistant legacy and quickly leaked water inside when using it in the rain; disappointing as that's what I wanted to use it for.
That said, I'll still likely keep the K10d for a long time. It's plenty good enough for various uses where I don't need hi ISO performance, the SR works well with the old manual lenses I put on it and the output files are surprisingly good.
If I had the normal upgrade path I'd be inclined to keep the K10d as a backup or second body. (I have a hard time parting with my older gear if I like it)

08-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife got my K-10 when I bought a K-5, but she now prefers her Olympus OMD-EM5 (which is a pretty amazing camera) When I bought a K-5IIs I offered my K-10 to my brother. If he wants it, it's his. If not, I'm going to make the K-10 my dedicated M42 lens mount camera (I hate trying to remove the damned adapter). And while I love the images I've taken with the K-10, I definitely got the WOW factor when I bought the K-5.
08-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote
Wow ! I am looking to upgrade from my K10 to a k5ii or K5iis. Was it difficult for you to choose between the k5ii or k5iis ? How dramatic was the change ? Did you get that "WOW" feeling using it the first times around ?
I got the WOW feeling when I tried out the original K5 in the store. The K5II is even better. I do a lot of portrait work so the extra sharpness of the K5IIs seemed minimal to me. I also wanted to get an 18-135 and that was only available with the K5II. The biggest jumps for we was how fast and accurate the focus was compared to my k10D. The iso performance, the low light focus performance, the addition of a video mode, and size and build quality. I also have to a lot less work in post. The exposure and white balance are 95% instead of 50-60% with the K10D.
08-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought my K10D in 2007 and my K-5 late last year. The K10D was the last Pentax (other than the 645D) to use a CCD sensor and for that reason alone I have no intention to part with mine. The K-5 is my main camera now but I still use the K10D, when I know I'll be shooting at low ISO. For some purposes I also prefer the lower MP count (e.g., focus stacks involving large numbers of images; easier to deal with the smaller files).
08-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Depends, I wish I had kept my old K20D, although it couldn't hold a candle top my K-30 and I would probably never use it. I'm all for giving/loaning gear to someone starting out. But put some conditions out. I gave a ZX-30 and a lens to a nephew, and loaned another lens and teleconverter to him. I've never saw him use any of it, nor saw any evidence that he has.
08-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by scunning14 Quote
I am about to pick up a used K-01 for my everyday carry and to backup my K5II workhorse. I feel owning two 16mp camera bodies will cause me to further ignore my aging 10mp K10D. I also know that I will probably not get more than for my K10D with BG2 grip and 18-55mm. That money might allow me to pick up a 40mm 2.8 pancake for my newly acquired K-01, but is it worth parting with my classic K10D? I have also considered handing the K10D off to a family member or close friend who might benefit from it compared to their crappy p&s or iphone. But it also might be to much camera for a novice. I know that this question can ultimately only be decided by myself, but I am curious what my fellow pentaxians think. I have sold certain cameras in the past to fund future purchases and regretted it, but others I have never looked back. I still regret parting with my Fuji e550 to this day.
My 2 cents; Try to put here in the Marketplace, with a price you think how its worth and willing to hear some offers from fellow forumers. If your K10D is in good condition and 18-55 is WR version, i believe you will get more than $250. Digital camera is not like mechanical camera, it was designed/built to depreciate through time.

Thanks
08-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #13

Just parted with my K10d. I had it as a back up to my K-r. When I purchased a K-5 the K10d was not used much at all. Sold to finance other things. I did not have the k10d for long tho so it had minimal sentimental value to me. Only got about $200 on the bay.

It's a tool and I want to progress in my photog paths..
08-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I've still got just one K10D left, it's just something good about that CCD sensor and the images it produces.
08-15-2013, 12:35 AM   #15
Forum Member

it's the sensor

I forgot to state that the other reason I decided to try some old Pentax bodies; as some have mentioned, and I agree; it's the CCD sensor.
In metrics it can't keep up to the excellent sensor in the K5 and similar spec'd bodies but there is something about the images coming from this old CCD (and the one on the *istD L2 as well) that look really appealing at times.
I've been using mine for some close-up work in full manual and like the results so far.
attached cropped OOC jpg w watermark added

Last edited by aglet; 07-06-2014 at 01:19 AM.