Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax SR effective when panning!

I just learned from my German forum that the Pentax SR anti-shake operates in two modes:

- normal (as we all know)
- vertical only (when a horizontal pan is auto-detected)

This is undocumented, even in contradiction to the manual!

It actually even has a third feature:

- shutter release compensation (a counter-rotation!) right after the release.

(this must be the mystical rotation the SR is said to be able of while the gyro-sensors aren't...)

So, while the Pentax SR has no switch for pan mode, it still has it and no other system features shutter release compensation.

The source is a white paper from Pentax which isn't online anymore. Not only they don't advertise this stuff, they even take the white paper offline!

So, if anybody owns a copy of this white paper...

03-23-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd like to see that as well. it's counter to all that has been posted on the subject. I'll have to give it a try as I always shut it off for this type of shooting.
03-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The source is a white paper from Pentax which isn't online anymore. Not only they don't advertise this stuff, they even take the white paper offline!
Hmmm, could that be because it wasn't effective? Perhaps it is because people will expect it to work in every circumstance. I've left it on by accident a few times whilst panning and every time had undesirable results. Perhaps this could be because I like to hold the camera at an angle whilst panning and the SR freaks out?
03-23-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've left it on while panning (with a monopod attached to lens) and haven't had any issue with it.

03-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
I've left it on by accident a few times whilst panning and every time had undesirable results.
My German forum fellows said that after learning about this they tested and found it effective. Of course, your pan must be strict horizontal then... Maybe, it needs some practice. I'll have a look at it myself soon.

Let me store the source reference for my books here: DSLR-Forum - Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen - K20D - (k)ein Vergleich

Last edited by falconeye; 03-23-2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: added source link
03-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just learned from my German forum that the Pentax SR anti-shake operates in two modes:

(this must be the mystical rotation the SR is said to be able of while the gyro-sensors aren't...)

So, while the Pentax SR has no switch for pan mode, it still has it and no other system features shutter release compensation.

Horizontal panning has been proven to work quite easily in various other forums but the "shutter release compensation" I don't believe exists in the SR enabled bodies. I've never seen it discussed either on a forum, in a white paper or in a patent application (and I have a decent library of Pentax WPs and patent information).
03-23-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
the "shutter release compensation" I don't believe exists in the SR enabled bodies. I've never seen it discussed either on a forum, in a white paper or in a patent application (and I have a decent library of Pentax WPs and patent information).
Well, we have already agreed in another thread that the gyro sensors wouldn't be able to measure the rotational speed.

My German forum fellow claimed this: "It was a footnote in some Pentax whitepaper and it does work, indeed. [Das stand mal in irgendeinem Whitepaper von Pentax als Randnotiz und es funktioniert tatsächlich.]"

So, shall we believe it? I don't know.

Technically, it would be feasible (in the lab, measure some response functions from shutter releases and tune the SR to heuristically guess one from measured y acceleration at the moment of release).

03-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It works on monopod too.

I can confirm that when I used my K100D on monopod, the SR did work, which is I am sure about.

03-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I can confirm that when I used my K100D on monopod, the SR did work, which is I am sure about.
Hey RiceHigh, I'd like to remind you of something..

"All the information contained in this website are for reference only and merely. The author has no responsibility of any kind on the accuracy or whatsoever on all the information and data provided here. In addition, it should be noted that all the data results were obtained under particular test conditions and with particular equipment units each of which is of an unique serial number issued by the manufacturer. It is therefore there is no absolute accuracy nor genuine generality of any kind is implied.

In case you're wondering, it's the disclaimer on your wrebsite.. The Disclaimer

You can confirm it but, your confirmation may not be accurate or truthful and you want no responsibilities related to the information you provide. Good to know
03-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wow - that worked remarkably well

Like an OFF switch for BS'ing or something..
03-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Cut and paste that one Tom. Brilliant.
03-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Damn, I'm missing that "Thumbs Up" button over here Tom!
03-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Wow - that worked remarkably well

Like an OFF switch for BS'ing or something..
I use the forum BS off switch. I have set RH to be ignored. I don't see his posts. I don't see his threads. I am happy with my decision.