Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #1

pentax k-x best memory card recommendations?

hi guys just wondering what would be the best memory card i should get with my pentax k-x...
ryt now i have a 16 gb sandisk 30 mb/s
i was thinkin of getting a sandisk extreme pro 95mb/s 64 gb card...
but would that even recommended in a k-x? or a 40mb/s would good enough for burst shots?

and would burst shots doable with k-x?

can k-x do burst shots?

thanks everyone
hope to see some replies

08-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your 30Mb/s card probably has a write speed of 10Mb/s, so I'd say go for a 45mb/s. The actual maximum write speed is around 30Mb/s, I believe, and definitely not higher than 45 so the pro card won't do you any good.

The 16gb 45 card has a pretty nice discount at the moment:
SanDisk 16GB SDHC Extreme Class 10 UHS-1 MemorySDSDRX3-016G-A21

The K-x has a burst mode that can shoot 17 jpegs at 4.7 fps

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #3

First, be sure to have the newest firmware on your K-x, because there were some issues in the past with the support of large SDHC cards.

A (professional) member of a dutch Pentax forum dit a test in practice with the fastest memory cards, and found out that the max. write speed of a K-5 was about 20 mb/s. with RAW bursts. Someone else on a forum mentioned a max. measured write speed of 18 mb/s.
Cards with a faster write speed are not usefull on a K-5. I suppose the K-x doesn't write faster than a K-5.
08-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have a go with an Extreme Pro card. It might make a difference in camera.
Even if it doesn't speed up your burst rate, it will certainly speed up transferring images from your card into your card reader and onto your PC, which in itself can be handy.

FWIW, I've used Sandisk Ultra's and an Extreme (but not Extreme Pro) with the K-x with good performance. Ditto with a Lexar Platinum II Class 6 SDHC card.