Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #16

Original Poster
All of these comments are most appreciated. Thank you all for taking the time to share your impressions...

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Is there any reason why you compare the K20D versus the D80? They are in different levels. The K10D is often compared with the D200 and 30D (Canon). D80 is more of consumer grade than D200; all three share the same CCD sensor from SONY. If you are serious about photography and can do without the scene mode, K10D is the best tool available in the market. I don't mean to sway you to one over the other, I went through the same exercise before. Unlike most Canikon owners, at least you do your homework, most only know the two choices C or N. Whatever decision you make, I am sure you will be happy. I feel for those who jumped on the bandwagon lately of owning the RebelXT with deep price discount just because they want to own the C camera.
In doing all of the searching about cameras, I initially was thinking Canon. I bought into all the propaganda - I mean, though I know a lot about wine, I'm the guy that will buy a cheap bottle of wine simply because of the label. But I wanted my camera experience to be different. So I went and held the XTi. What a piece of crap. It felt sooo cheap in my hands, very light like my PS 540, and my hand was way bigger than the grip to boot. Then I picked up the D80. Completely different. It felt really good. So I then talked with my buddy that takes the pictures for the hockey team in AL that shoots Nikon. He recommended that I give that camera a decent look - he is a Nikon guy after all. I then found out about the prices that I could get for the D80 and I was pretty much sold.

While looking again at the D80 at Ritz, the guy - in trying to show me how the VR lens for Nikon works - pulls out a Pentax K10D to compare the body stabilization to the lens stabilization. He says "See...the Nikon is just as good, if not better and Nikon has some great lenses..." But I liked the feel of the K10D. And it had the dual wheel adjustment just like the D80. The viewfinder wasn't as good to my eyes, but it was cheaper...

So I started looking into Pentax and the K10D and liked their whole approach to the camera business. Then, I found out that the K20D was coming out and saw that - from various sites and reviews - it took better pictures than the K10D and had a faster AF and a "better" sensor and improved Shake Reduction and...well, I think you can get my drift.

The K20D appears to be the better camera but...after reading here, maybe I should be looking in the K10D instead...and buy a DA* 2.8 lens...but I'm somewhat fearful that I will be disappointed that I didn't get the K20D...because it was/is the better camera....or is it??????

Thanks again for all the info you guys are giving me....

03-24-2008, 09:58 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Nikon D80 Metering Issue

I can tell you, having previously been a Nikon shooter, many D80 owners have been frustrated with it when using matix metering. A significant number of D80 users use center weighted metering instead.

I would suggest a Google search about that issue or go to Phil Askey's website(Dpreview.com) and look at the forum that includes the D80 and do a search about this, just so you are fully informed.

My own opinion, given you are coming from a P&S, is to start with the K10D, which is an excelent camera, and spend the difference between that and the K20D on some of the excellent glass Pentax offers.

Bob
03-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also consider this;

why have many seasoned photographers on this site chosen the K10D?

We could have also bought a Nikon whatever.

I have also owned many cameras but never a Pentax (their bad marketing to blame)

As a serious photog tool the K10D allows you to work REAL fast - tweaking settings real quick especially difficult lighting situations and in very iffy locations. Where you will be paranoid with the Nikon D80 you will be at ease with the Pentax.

Also you can read those reviews until blue in the face - they are all crap imho - why non of them can't rate the Pentax highly, I have no idea

I personally looked at price vs performance, ergonomics and a ton of pics on the net.

The Pentax K10D is the best at its price and quite frankly a Nikon D200 is really no better at twice the price - so go figure

I also looked at the Canon 40D - very nice- but for whatever reason I can never get a decent jpeg (which I shoot most) out of Canon and with a few tweaks you can GET brilliant jpegs out of the Pentax which has my friend with the Canon always shaking his head.

Remember the camera is just the tool - its how that tool allows you to work (hard or easy) should be the deciding factor

Also the kit lens is brilliant and pics printed up to 8x10 are stunning.

Since I bought the K10D I just can't stop taking pics- feel free to look at my gallery - these are purely very fast snaps (how I like to work) at various ISO's, shutter speeds and all jpegs with very LITTLE pp.

Peace

D
03-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #19

Original Poster
Ok...so I'll start looking at the K10D (very quickly anyway!).

2 questions:
1. Can I print 16x20 with the K10D and have it look sharp?
2. Is Broadway Photo a reputable online dealer? I understand they sell a lot of grey market
things, but if one is careful...(Have you seen their price on the K20D?)

03-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Also consider this;

why have many seasoned photographers on this site chosen the K10D?

We could have also bought a Nikon whatever.

I have also owned many cameras but never a Pentax (their bad marketing to blame)

As a serious photog tool the K10D allows you to work REAL fast - tweaking settings real quick especially difficult lighting situations and in very iffy locations. Where you will be paranoid with the Nikon D80 you will be at ease with the Pentax.

Also you can read those reviews until blue in the face - they are all crap imho - why non of them can't rate the Pentax highly, I have no idea

I personally looked at price vs performance, ergonomics and a ton of pics on the net.

The Pentax K10D is the best at its price and quite frankly a Nikon D200 is really no better at twice the price - so go figure

I also looked at the Canon 40D - very nice- but for whatever reason I can never get a decent jpeg (which I shoot most) out of Canon and with a few tweaks you can GET brilliant jpegs out of the Pentax which has my friend with the Canon always shaking his head.

Remember the camera is just the tool - its how that tool allows you to work (hard or easy) should be the deciding factor

Also the kit lens is brilliant and pics printed up to 8x10 are stunning.

Since I bought the K10D I just can't stop taking pics- feel free to look at my gallery - these are purely very fast snaps (how I like to work) at various ISO's, shutter speeds and all jpegs with very LITTLE pp.

Peace

D
Not to mention that K10D and K20D offers so many ways to tweak you settings (with Hyper-program, Hyper-manual, TAV and SV modes). I also the like the quick shift setting using the green mode button to reset to the orignal camera selected setting, without taking a peek at the LCD. One of my friends complain about the D200 being too heavy now; the other still puzzled with the fact that my K10D costs so little while he paid more than double of my K10D, yet it is such as versatile tool (of course, I told him that he got a better image processing engine).

QuoteOriginally posted by willis Quote
Ok...so I'll start looking at the K10D (very quickly anyway!).

2 questions:
1. Can I print 16x20 with the K10D and have it look sharp?
2. Is Broadway Photo a reputable online dealer? I understand they sell a lot of grey market
things, but if one is careful...(Have you seen their price on the K20D?)
I have not print anything of that size before, I see no reason why it shuold not be sharp if the picture itself is sharp to begin with.

Broadway Photo is a good dealer, when the sell grey market product, it is usually indicated in the product description and price list.
03-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I have heard arguments from the other camp (Canikon) that on the wide end you don't need SR compensation. Does that mean we should turn SR off when the FL is on the wide end? Comments are appreciated.
I never have SR off except when on a tripod. Or when I forget to turn it back on. It takes more camera motion to produce a motion blur as the lens gets wider, but I don't see where it can possibly degrade the image, and if I am using my 12-24 at the wide end at f/4 in the dark, I think I need as much help as I can get.