Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Falcon. All I did was keep cropping until it fit the screen. What is acr 1.7?

Now that I look at it on my 22'' monitor, it does look sharpened. Infact, it does not look good. dissapointing.
On my 17'' xps lap top, it looked ok. But it is what it is, no pp other than cropped.

03-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Falcon. All I did was keep cropping until it fit the screen. What is acr 1.7?

Now that I look at it on my 22'' monitor, it does look sharpened. Infact, it does not look good. dissapointing.
On my 17'' xps lap top, it looked ok. But it is what it is, no pp other than cropped.
Javier,

ACR 3.7 (Adobe Raw Converter). But my fault. Yours are JPEGs, so no raw conversion is involved. Maybe, the K20D JPEGs don't look as pretty at 100% as the RAWs do? What was your quality setting? Maybe, you saved one time too often (as JPEGs get worse each time you save them).

Thanks for your great images. I like them.

Falk

P.S. You know you still have to look at your tele converters
03-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #18
f8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some more own first impressions about the K20D

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
As is stated in the title, these are my ''OWN'' first impressions of this wonderful camera.
Hope you don't mind me steeling your thread... Since this is one for the K20D first impressions, I'll have a shot as a pure amateur and a previous K10D owner.

First I'll have to make it absolutely clear that I did and still do love the K10D. To me it was 99,9% perfect a camera. It missed out only in the high ISO's.

As for the K20D... The handling of the camera is as was the K10D's, only the buttons and controls are slightly more robust; they do not feel as 'sluggish' as the ones with the K10D.

I don't know if it's just me but I'm seeing a definite improvement in image quality. Not the Canon-like improvement but the 'more real than real world' kind. The images I get are more realistic in color than they were with the K10D. This is (in my opinion) due to the enhanced and improved WB recognition of the K20D compared to the K10D. Also the color/hue/WB controls for each individual session (and in some cases even images) are easier to set and the range of control seems better. The results are more vibrant RAW's (and/or JPEG's).

As to the ISO... The difference is, well, amazing. ISO 640, you say? OK, done. Result: perfect images. ISO1000? No problem... In fact, you only get into trouble if shooting in low light and use ISO of more than 3200. (To be perfectly honest, the 1600-3200 range is not that 'clear' but that is not a problem; use the built in NR and the noise is nicely reduced while the details are not destroyed. Nice work, Pentax!)

For some test shoots, go see: My K20D Example Shots @ Picasa.

There are certainly new things to be learnt with the K20D but having used the K10D before the difference is negligible. As for the completely new features, I like the bracketing done with one press of the release button, the dust detector and the interval shooting. There are more, of course but those come to mind.

I would say that the K20D is like the K10D but on steroids and with a cleansed sensor. If you aren't like me (that is, totally bummed out about the K10D's high ISO performance) and have the K10D already (and you are, unlike me, sane) you should not have to upgrade. Otherwise, you just might consider...

Oh, feel free to ask more! What I've just written are the few things that came to mind of the top of my head. (And to be honest, I am definetely not a professional camera reviewer...)
03-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by f/8 Quote
Hope you don't mind me steeling your thread... Since this is one for the K20D first impressions, I'll have a shot as a pure amateur and a previous K10D owner.

First I'll have to make it absolutely clear that I did and still do love the K10D. To me it was 99,9% perfect a camera. It missed out only in the high ISO's.

As for the K20D... The handling of the camera is as was the K10D's, only the buttons and controls are slightly more robust; they do not feel as 'sluggish' as the ones with the K10D.

I don't know if it's just me but I'm seeing a definite improvement in image quality. Not the Canon-like improvement but the 'more real than real world' kind. The images I get are more realistic in color than they were with the K10D. This is (in my opinion) due to the enhanced and improved WB recognition of the K20D compared to the K10D. Also the color/hue/WB controls for each individual session (and in some cases even images) are easier to set and the range of control seems better. The results are more vibrant RAW's (and/or JPEG's).

As to the ISO... The difference is, well, amazing. ISO 640, you say? OK, done. Result: perfect images. ISO1000? No problem... In fact, you only get into trouble if shooting in low light and use ISO of more than 3200. (To be perfectly honest, the 1600-3200 range is not that 'clear' but that is not a problem; use the built in NR and the noise is nicely reduced while the details are not destroyed. Nice work, Pentax!)

For some test shoots, go see: My K20D Example Shots @ Picasa.

There are certainly new things to be learnt with the K20D but having used the K10D before the difference is negligible. As for the completely new features, I like the bracketing done with one press of the release button, the dust detector and the interval shooting. There are more, of course but those come to mind.

I would say that the K20D is like the K10D but on steroids and with a cleansed sensor. If you aren't like me (that is, totally bummed out about the K10D's high ISO performance) and have the K10D already (and you are, unlike me, sane) you should not have to upgrade. Otherwise, you just might consider...

Oh, feel free to ask more! What I've just written are the few things that came to mind of the top of my head. (And to be honest, I am definetely not a professional camera reviewer...)
Could not agree with you more !!!!

03-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

fwiw I shot with a K10d for a week or so earlier this year and ended up returning it. I just wasn't getting "the shots" out of it relative to my p&s. I did however really like the ergonomics and user interface, so I bided my time and soon the K20d showed up at my local shop. I played with it, an E3 and a D300 for some time in the store. I walked out with the K20d. Now after shooting a couple thousand shots over the past few weeks, I have *zero* regrets. I have no doubt that the D300 has superior AF. But the K20d works "good enough" for me, and frankly AF isn't a big worry of mine. 3fps is more than enough...I never shot continuous anyway.

For me, again the ergos and UI are superior to any other camera I tried, and the IQ is great. I shoot a lot of available/low light and am very happy with the output at iso 1600. And once I put a 77ltd on the body...well, stick a fork in me, I was done. The only qualm I have is that my battery life seems less on the K20d than the K10d.

Usual disclaimers, and my needs are likely not your needs. I don't do weddings, sports events, etc. I don't need "speed" and crystal clear newspapers. I embrace noise when it works and have the luxury of shooting for the sake of art rather than my supper (although it does pay for dessert now and again). I've never felt "artsy" with a Nikon in my hands. I do with the Pentax, especially with the lenses I have (and that 35ltd macro if it would ever show up here). Most important, the camera doesn't get in my way when I use it. Works for me...
03-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #21
f8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
...battery life seems less on the K20d than the K10d.
Definitely so. Seems like every week I'm loading the batteries on my K20D when with K10D they lasted week after week after week...

And, interestingly, the manuals disagree.

K10D manual: Number of recordable images: approx. 500 images (without flash) / approx. 480 images (50% flash usage), playback time: approx. 330 minutes
K20D manual: Number of recordable images: approx. 740 images (without flash) / approx. 530 images (50% flash usage), playback time: approx. 330 minutes
03-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I think the manual is smoking crack. I'm chewing through batteries much quicker with the K20d. I'm betting that the larger display eats part of it as well as the sensor. And the battery gauge is pretty useless...mine seems to go from full to half to empty back to full in a semi-random fashion.

I'm hoping that a firmware upgrade will fix at least part of this...
03-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I think the manual is smoking crack. I'm chewing through batteries much quicker with the K20d. I'm betting that the larger display eats part of it as well as the sensor. And the battery gauge is pretty useless...mine seems to go from full to half to empty back to full in a semi-random fashion.

I'm hoping that a firmware upgrade will fix at least part of this...

I have the k10 and the k20 and shots per battery is actually in most cases more than the manuel. i have 4 batteries and all 4 work very well.......i think i would ck your batteries.....and i have not heard of anyone else having the issues with batteries that you are having.....

oh and love the k20 i hardly pick up my k10 but its a great back up......

Rick