Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #196
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another oldie or two ... K110D with the D FA 100/2.8 Macro WR ...

09-19-2014, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #197
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
So K100D fans, I just read the thread here on the "green button"* and concluded that on our cameras that that is the AE LOCK button on back, and that if you are in manual mode that pressing it gives you a snapshot of what exposure the camera would pick if you were in program mode, right?
The AE-L button acts as the "green button" on the K100-series
09-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
And well placed for ease of use! Very ergonomic it is!(channeling my Yoda)
09-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #199
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Sept. 20, 2014:

I got my K100D used as a trainer to help me make the transition from film (K-1000) to digital, with the added incentive that my old film lenses would fit on the digital K mount body.

Well; they do, but it's not quite as easy as I had anticipated. It took a good 2 hours of studying the manual before I could even get the shutter to fire with a heritage lens.
This forum was a big help wading through all that.

Finally I bought the 18-55mm kit lens and have grown to be quite satisfied with it.

Still use some of the old heritage lenses for macro and such; recently took a long shot at the "Super moon" using my Dad's old 400mm M42 screw mount long - tom telephoto on an adapter ring, as was quite pleased with how it came out.

Lately I've been having trouble with the camera "locking up"; the orange "processing" light comes on and stays lit for a long time without ever finishing the shot. I can't take any more pictures and if I turn the power off I get an hourglass "wait a minute" icon in the LCD, but no matter how long I wait it never registers the shot on the card and hangs indefinitely. If I pull one of the batteries and replace it it re boots the camera but the previous shot is lost. The last time it happened I was using flash, but it just couldn't re charge the flash.

Just saw on this thread where the re chargeable AA batteries - which is what I'm using - have lower voltage than the lithium ones; could that be my problem, or is this camera fixing to die on me?

I bought a set of the expensive CR-V3 at Radio Shack, but when I went to install them, do you think I could find them?
Hopefully they'll turn up somewhere... but in the meantime might have to go buy another set and hope I can get them into the camera before I lose those too.

I like this camera; it has taught me a lot - like it's not really a camera so much as it's a computer that takes pictures.

Don't mind the "Thwack-O-Matic" (I like that!) and felt recoil of the shutter, as it reminds me of my old Spotmatic and K-1000 that I loved so well.

A couple of features that I wish the K100D had include weather resistance; I like to shoot outdoors in all kinds of weather and the 100D does not like to get wet, we are warned, and Every now and then I like to take AV, which my little pocket OPTIO W80 does.
Another nice feature of the W80 is electronic zoom. Do any of the SLRs do that?

For a little pocket snapshot flatchett camera, that little OPTIO is a darn snazzly rig - and another reason why I stick with PENTAX.

I'm hoping to keep the 100D limping along for a while longer, but if I want to bring a somewhat more weather worthy and feature capable body into the fold that can take pictures at least as good as the K100D (for under $500 hopefully) what would you recommend?

I don't need anything brand new or loaded with bells and whistles; a discontinued model would be just fine and a good used unit will do if the price is right.
I got the K100D used off of Amazon.com.

Thanks in advance!
"Uncle Jaque" from Maine

---------- Post added 09-20-14 at 11:48 AM ----------

I like the preview feature on the power switch; since I do most of my work in the M mode I can ball park the exposure and take a quick snapshot by cranking the On/Off lever over a notch, check it out on the LCD screen and tweak the settings if need be.

I really miss my through the lens light meter on the old K-1000, but I'm getting used to the new gadgets on this DSLR.

Have noticed that exposures seem to come out darker in processing than they look on the LCD after you take them, so I've been erring on the overexposed side a little lately.

Another thing is that when shooting up close this camera seems to focus a little behind where the viewfinder tells me it's focused, so I have to back up a little or crank the focus ring back just a dite prior to taking the shot.
I don't know if they all do that or it's just this camera, or my aging eyes - but it's a little annoying.

The ground glass focus disc on the K1000 is another feature I miss. In low light I end up guessing at focus a lot, and the little red lights are not always all that reliable.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo     
09-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle Jaque Quote
(for under $500 hopefully)
Hello, nice intro!
Here is a nice newer model for sale well within your price range.
For Sale: K20d + D-BG2 battery grip + 3 batteries

I feel like I am being a turn coat, but it is a great price. I wouldn't dump your k100 though because there is something special about the ccd sensor!
Awesome photo of the moon!
Joel
09-22-2014, 02:18 AM   #201

I'm hoping to keep the 100D limping along for a while longer, but if I want to bring a somewhat more weather worthy and feature capable body into the fold that can take pictures at least as good as the K100D (for under $500 hopefully) what would you recommend?

I don't need anything brand new or loaded with bells and whistles; a discontinued model would be just fine and a good used unit will do if the price is right.
I got the K100D used off of Amazon.com.
The K10d is also a good upgrade from the K100, several people here have taken that path including me. It's weather proof and generally better in everyway but also has a CCD sensor like the K100 which gives a certain quality to images in many peoples opinion. Here's the thread dedicated to it where you'll find some excellent images -
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/242738-k10d-club-48.html
09-22-2014, 05:53 AM   #202
Site Supporter

I still have a my K100 and a K500, and have used both both cameras at the same time in landscape type settings with great results from both.
If you are looking for something that is weather resistant maybe you should look at the K50 which is the weather resistant version of the K500 with a few enhancements. The price of a K50 body has dropped lately so you could possibly pick one up for a reasonable price with the added advantage of a warranty.
09-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #203
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
The K10d is also a good upgrade from the K100, several people here have taken that path including me. It's weather proof and generally better in everyway but also has a CCD sensor like the K100 which gives a certain quality to images in many peoples opinion. Here's the thread dedicated to it where you'll find some excellent images -
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/242738-k10d-club-48.html
Thanks; Amazon has a K-10d body at an attractive price (used) http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-10-2MP-Digital-Camera-Reduction/dp/B000IHN8AO/r...ds=pentax+k10d

I'll check out the reviews on that and see how it stacks up against the K-50, which is an attractive option as it can use commonly available AA batteries in an optional pack. I would like an articulating live view LCD though as I shoot some weird angles some times.

My main heartburn right now is that I don't think my 18-55mm kit lens is WR, and using a standard lens with a WR body kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
I don't know how WR my old heritage lenses are, but I don't have much invested in them.
I suppose you'd about have to submerge the camera with a non WR lens to damage the body, wouldn't you? Those WR lenses are expensive.

09-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #204
Veteran Member

My main heartburn right now
My main heartburn is the jalapino dog I ate for lunch! Sorry couldn't resist!
To optimize a WR camera you need a WR lens, but I have never had any real problem with my K100d in light rain or mist and it's not supposed to be protected at all. From what I can tell it is built really tight so not much can get in it. You can get aftermarket covers to help with weather too.
I suggest you work through the DSLR database here and see what options there are.
As for an articulating screen, Pentax has stayed away from that. So out of luck there.
If you want to have some fun, get an ez-share sd card. It can be set to download you photos as you take them to a tablet or laptop, giving you the ability to see your creations nice and big almost instantly! And it's cheap! My daughter keeps taking mine!
Joel

P.S. I think every camera from Kx on does video, but don't quote me on that.
10-19-2014, 12:04 AM   #205
NKK
Veteran Member

Taken by my wife near Anchorage Alaska with the DA18-55 kit lens:
Beautiful scene!
10-19-2014, 01:06 AM   #206
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Yes, it is old, .......
funnily enough I had the old girl out this weekend with the FA50/2.8 on board
first poppy is out

f 7.1
10-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
first poppy is out
Good one!!
10-26-2014, 09:19 AM - 3 Likes   #208
Veteran Member

A few with my old K110D, my first DSLR, I still have it, and it works as well as the day I bought it.

[

11-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #209
NKK
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
A few with my old K110D, my first DSLR, I still have it, and it works as well as the day I bought it.
Great Pictures - i still enjoy using the old K100D.
11-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #210
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Very nice series ... TFS, J