Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
OK ... I give up ... which one is you ?! J
Not me! My son, all three of him! At least he makes messes like three people!
I call that the three D's of cars: Desire, Driving, Despair!!

12-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #62
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dubiousone Quote
Outstanding photo! Who'd have thought digital IR would be as simple as putting on a filter...I haven't played with infrared (film) in a long while and am still a beginner when it comes to digital. Just out of curiosity, why 200 ISO?
Thanks. 200 is the base ISO on this camera.

Ken
12-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Some from a church event:

Self explanatory!
12-12-2013, 03:53 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

12-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
My K100D finally died back in June and I replaced it with a Samsung GX-10 (K10D clone). Against every technical measure the Samsung is better: sharper, higher resolution, more dynamic range. . .

And yet. . .

Yet I miss the magic that the K100D could work with colour and light. I miss the analogue-like warmth and subtlety of the pictures it took. Yes, it was a long way from accurate in its rendering of the world, and it's exactly because of that fact that I miss it so much. Even when the light wasn't that great, the K100D could transform it into something wonderful. At the moment I'm on the lookout for a low-mileage replacement body to keep in reserve for those times when only the K100D's special witchcraft will give me what I want.

My first DSLR was a Nikon D50, the second was a K100DS. I bought the D50 used, something a little older and simpler to learn DSLR on. Totally different than my film cameras which, I've begun shooting again and having a HECK of a good time doing!! I can take a photo side by side with the D50 and K100DS. The Pentax images just...look better so I definitely know what you mean!
12-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #66
Veteran Member

The k100d was my first dslr. Since I got it 6? 7? years ago, I have also acquired a k-x, k-01 and Q. It is still my first love. I've now sold the k-x, leaving the k100d as my only dslr.

I haven't used it in close to 2 years but this month have dusted it off for use in Singles In. Here are a few taken with it and a Hanimar 200mm 4.5 preset lens.

Don't know about you, but I think it's still got it...

12-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It sure does, wolfie, it sure does. Interesting about the K-x, I'm using my daughter's for a bit, but will sell it (she has a K-30 now).

12-13-2013, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots, wolfiegirl - yeah the K100D's still got it! One from Feb, using an SMC M35-70/2.8-3.5 zoom:

12-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
It sure does, wolfie, it sure does. Interesting about the K-x, I'm using my daughter's for a bit, but will sell it (she has a K-30 now).
I originally got the k-x as a back up, so I could have two lenses going at once. Worked great overseas. One had the 18-200 and the other a manual prime or whatever fun lens I wanted to play with.

When I got my k-01, both the k-x and the k100d sort've went into cold storage.... I love focus peaking in the k-01, but I'm finding I'm really struggling atm with shooting with the lcd and the bright Australian Summer sun. There was one afternoon where pretty much every shot I took had to be chucked because I was just slightly *off* on the focus, despite me swearing at the time of pressing down the shutter that it was in fact, in focus.

As to selling the k-x, I actually dropped my k-x at the beginning of the year resulting in a cracked screen. Add to the fact that it was bought second hand, and I always hated that there was no red spot confirmation I kinda thought it was best I let the k-x go. I don't shoot concerts or anything that requires super high ISO, and even if I did, I think the k-01 will cover that. That and the fact the Q had just moved in (I know it doesn't take up that much room in the kit, but it was the principle of the thing) meant that something *really* had to go...

Don't get me wrong. The k-x is a great little camera and I loved that it used batteries and was pretty much the same as the k100d sizewise except with a better sensor. But I must admit, there was nothing 'special' about the k-x that made me stop and go, whoa.... I guess it was just that I had no emotional attachment to the k-x, so when it came to the crunch, the k-x was it.

Here's another Singles In shot. This one from yesterday. Not *quite* in focus on the dragonfly, but considering the k100d is only 6 megapixels and it was shot handheld in the shade around 6pm, I'm pretty happy with this.

12-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #70

V nice dragonfly pic....I bought my k100d a couple of years ago after deciding to get my p30 out of the attic....just finished a beginners photography course and really enjoying using it. .

12-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nealjane1 Quote
V nice dragonfly pic....I bought my k100d a couple of years ago after deciding to get my p30 out of the attic....just finished a beginners photography course and really enjoying using it. .
Thanks, nealjane1 It's a great little camera. Enjoy your k100d!
12-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K100D has another plus, though admittedly it's obscure and geeky.

If you have a DA*16-50 or DA*50-135 with a dead SDM, the firmware patch to the lens that activates the screw-drive is dead-easy to install using the K100D. Other cameras require uploading a very specific set of files to activate the debug mode, but the K100D can be put into debug very easily, the lens eprom downloaded or even edited in camera.

Admittedly, not about pictures, but reviving my dead DA*16-50 was wonderful!
12-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
The K100D has another plus, though admittedly it's obscure and geeky.

If you have a DA*16-50 or DA*50-135 with a dead SDM, the firmware patch to the lens that activates the screw-drive is dead-easy to install using the K100D. Other cameras require uploading a very specific set of files to activate the debug mode, but the K100D can be put into debug very easily, the lens eprom downloaded or even edited in camera.

Admittedly, not about pictures, but reviving my dead DA*16-50 was wonderful!
Thanks ... that's good to know in case I come across a dead DA* 16-50 or DA* 50-135 ... Salut, J
12-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've thought a few times about getting a newer body, but why? The photographic limitations are on me, not the equipment!

Pentax K100DS, ISO400, Vivitar-A 28mm f2.8 @ f2.8, Topaz B&W Effects2

-Joe-
12-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
I've thought a few times about getting a newer body, but why? The photographic limitations are on me, not the equipment!

Pentax K100DS, ISO400, Vivitar-A 28mm f2.8 @ f2.8, Topaz B&W Effects2

-Joe-
Nice shot!! I don't see any limitations there. Well done.