Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WOW, this is fun... now I all of a sudden miss the good old P&R days....

08-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #17
Banned

Ricoh Imaging Canada | Repair Centres for Ricoh Imaging Products

Grand total of less than 20 seconds to find this:

Repair Centres for Ricoh Imaging Products

RICOH IMAGING CANADA INC. has a service centre for warranty and non-warranty repair of all Ricoh Imaging Digital SLR Camera Bodies (ie. K-5II, K-5IIs, K-50), Digital SLR Lenses, Digital Interchangeable Lens System Cameras and Lenses (ie. Q10 and Q Mount Lenses), the 645D Medium Format Digital SLR Camera body and 645D Digital SLR Lenses, Digital Compact Cameras (ie. Optio WG-2, WG-3, MX-1, GR), Sports Optics, Flashes, Medium Format Cameras and Lenses, 35mm Compact Cameras, 35mm SLR Camera Bodies and 35mm Lenses at their Mississauga Head Office.
RICOH IMAGING CANADA INC. Find it using Google Maps
1770 Argentia Road
Mississauga, Ontario
L5N 3S7
Phone: (905) 286-5585
Fax: (905) 286-5586
Email: service@prca.pentax.ca

Note: Due to the special equipment necessary to service and repair Ricoh Imaging Digital SLR Camera Bodies, Digital SLR Lenses, Digital Interchangeable Lens System Cameras and Lenses, the 645D Medium Format Digital SLR Camera Body and 645D Digital SLR Lenses, PENTAX RICOH IMAGING CANADA INC. is the only service centre in Canada that can provide service and repair of these items. All Ricoh Imaging Digital SLR Camera Bodies, Digital SLR Lenses, Digital Interchangeable Lens System Cameras and Lenses, 645D Medium Format Digital SLR Camera Body and 645D Digital SLR Lenses that require warranty or non-warranty repair should be sent to the above address.
08-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

@Freezeframe
I cannot understand why you are expecting a K-30 in replacement for a K-r. If anything that would be their choice in the event that they couldn't repair your K-r and didn't have any other K-r to give you as replacement.

You seem to imply that there is something wrong with the design of the K-r whereas what I see is just a defective unit. There exists no mass produced product which does not suffer the occasional faulty unit.

I have both a K-r and a K-30. While it is true that the K-30 is more capable in some respects there is no way I could describe the K-r as being defective in any way. However that does not entitle you to get an upgrade.

I cannot help much regarding the customer service as I have never needed it yet, however I do agree with Lauren that your attitude may be the cause of most of the difficulties you seem to be having with them. In my job I have to deal with customers, though fortunately not that often, and I think I can very well understand how the persons dealing with your complaint feel. That would not of course justify them not responding at all, but it sure makes things much more difficult.
08-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FreezeFrame Quote
I also did the forum a favour by not cutting and pasting over seven pages of detailed explanations into my posting.
FreezeFrame, I admire your technical ability to explain things in detail. It is often frustrating to support users who say "it is broken" without offering clear details on what is wrong.

Is it possible to post or attach the detailed explanations that you sent to Ricoh? You can even attach it as a document, if that helps. I would hope that would tone down the criticism you have received in this thread.

08-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Unlike the other camera companies I have dealt with regarding warranty repairs (few and far between), Ricoh Imaging, as they now call themselves, does not correspond with their clients to inform them of receipt of the warranty repair item, or about return shipping. Apparently, your camera just shows up one day “fixed” (if you are lucky). Comparing this to Canon Canada, who I recently had a warranty repair to deal with, they acknowledged receipt of the parcel via email, indicated the expected time for repair, had it repaired rapidly, indicated what was done to it, and informed me of the return shipment date with a tracking number, and it came back repaired properly, too!.
Without addressing any of the other points, I did want to confirm unfortunately that this was also my recent experience with Ricoh's Canadian warranty repair service. My experience is still ongoing, however they took 4 days to respond my request for confirmation that they would repair my GRDIV in Canada (since the warranty card in the box gave the US repair contact info despite it being purchased in Canada a few months ago from an authorized retailer). While 4 days is not that long, it tells me that they may be understaffed to take 4 business days to send a simple reply with a generic reply stating that I should send the unit to them.

In any case, I shipped my unit and also did not get confirmation that they received it despite the tracking information staying that they did. Now 6 business days later I still have not received any news.

While it is certainly not a requirement for them to give constant updates to a customer, it is also not a great way to go about instilling confidence in your customers that you care for their unfortunate situation having an expensive camera malfunction during the early warranty period. It's a simple pr rule that if you make a customer feel appreciated, you will help build their loyalty to your brand.

In any case, I will await word from them, and if I don't hear anything in another week I will start calling them up. I'm not concerned that the camera isn't being repaired, I simply wanted to point out the lack of good customer communication that I have observed so far with my first pentax/ricoh repair in 5 years of owning their slrs/cameras.

Ps. My GrdIV suddenly stopped being able to focus on anything from 30cm to infinity both on auto or manual modes.

*EDIT* 2013-09-12 - Received a replacement Grd IV in the mail yesterday. Excellent service on the repair/replacement level, however communication was still sorely lacking. I never once received an update as to the status of my repair or that they had even completed it and shipped it back to me. The first news I received was when FedEx knocked on my door.

Last edited by Arrvon; 09-12-2013 at 08:51 AM.
08-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #21

Original Poster
Final summation

In deference to the criticism of the length of my postings, I will keep each reply to the many comments relatively short, and will post them all in this one posting. I do thank the minority of people who empathized and were wishing to be helpful.

@snake: you did not read much, if anything of my postings, or you would not have provided the information you did. It took me 20 second to get that, also. That information was required for me to send the camera to begin with, so I obviously already had it and it was where I have been emailing to.

@lauren: you may be right about the length of my explanations in my second posting, but I believe what brought that on was your complaints about my original posting being too vague and incomplete, and which was filled with personal attacks, so I felt obligated to be verbose and identify my background. As someone who does a great deal of troubleshooting for others, I respect the person who provides MORE information than less, and companies which do not recognize the value of that information do their clients a disservice.

In reply to other comments:

No, I do not see the value in posting my letters to the service department, based upon the reception I received here, I do not believe it will be of any benefit to do so, but thank you for your interest.

I used a trackable service for shipment, but not everyone does so, which is where confirmation by the service company would be helpful. Also, the owner of the goods still is not informed of the return shipment, so isn't even aware when it has been repaired or shipped back.

I won't get into the specifics of why the camera wasn't returned for repair sooner, other than to say there were medical, familial and legal complications which took priority over the camera issues during most of that time. I would not wish anyone have to deal with issue such as those, especially all at the same time. Sometimes s*it happens and one is left choosing what matters most at the time.

I was not fully aware of the camera defects in terms of functionality when I was buying lenses, soon after I acquired the camera. I did, in fact, assume some of the issues might be user related, since this was my first Pentax camera, until I read through the manual (several times) and spoke to a few owners who confirmed my camera was not acting normally. However, I have also discovered some of the problems are indeed design flaws (focus offset in tungsten lighting, major exposure variations from stray backlight coming through the viewfinder, and very poor rudimentary sealing of the camera allowing materials to migrate into places they shouldn't go, even on a camera which is not WR, but has barely left it's camera bag, or my home).

On the first repair, they put a physical shim in to correct the overall focus offset and they replaced the main interface dial. Since that repair, the shutter button half way position is intermittent or doesn't work at all. They did several other adjustments and a firmware upgrade..

Yes, there is an "overheated sensor" indicator that can (and does) shows up on the LCD screen, at least on the K-r. With my K-r it does so intermittently, even in cool ambient environments, usually after under 2 minutes of live view or video capture use.

What I referred to as battery failure may not actually be the battery itself, but the voltage regulation or sensor circuit within the camera. I explained this in my letter to the service department.
And lastly, I have finally heard from Ricoh Canada. I won't go into the details, but they are claiming their email server hasn't been working (I assume for at least two weeks now, since the first email was sent that long ago) and they had no idea which emails were replied to and which were not, so they are now replying at all of them. Interestingly, of the three I sent, they only replied to the middle one, and only a day or two after I indicated I was writing Ricoh Japan about their silence.

Chances are I will be writing/faxing Ricoh Japan at this point. I have their fax number, which is on their website. I've given up on Ricoh Canada.

Thank you all for your attention. I believe this exchange has reached its natural end, as likely has my relationship with Pentax products. I will be requesting a refund for the K-r camera kit, so I can replace the camera with another brand, and I will then be selling off the lenses. Too bad, some of the concepts were promising.

FF
08-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the scrupulous attention to my questions. I appreciate your forthrightness and wish you well.
08-26-2013, 02:21 AM   #23
Banned

@snake: you did not read much, if anything of my postings, or you would not have provided the information you did. It took me 20 second to get that, also. That information was required for me to send the camera to begin with, so I obviously already had it and it was where I have been emailing to.
It contained a phone number that you claimed wasn't listed anywhere and the basis for Ricoh somehow holding you hostage using their email system.

I am more inclined to believe that you were abusing their employees via email, considering the amount of abuse you're lobbing here with stories that have massive holes in them.
Thank you all for your attention. I believe this exchange has reached its natural end, as likely has my relationship with Pentax products. I will be requesting a refund for the K-r camera kit, so I can replace the camera with another brand, and I will then be selling off the lenses. Too bad, some of the concepts were promising.
A refund? How? It's been more than two years.

There's much more to this story than you are presenting. Nothing makes sense here.

08-26-2013, 04:17 AM   #24

Original Poster
You can believe whatever you wish, snake, if it makes you feel better about Ricoh or worse about me, and if that "helps" you to sleep better at night. I don't particularly care. I did not request a phone number for Ricoh Canada's service department, which you think you supplied me with. I have spoken to them several times over the past two years about this camera. I was seeking out a contact for someone in management for Ricoh Canada or North America about an issue Ricoh Service Canada seems unable to resolve.

I have a fair amount of patience with people, generally, but not people who don't spend the time to read what is written and then blame the messenger when they misinterpret what they've read, or look for conspiracies when things do not fit neatly into their expectations or beliefs.

Sadly, the one thing that does come out loud and clear to me is that there are several people on this forum who are threatened by criticism of Pentax as a product line and they cannot see through their haze. Pentax has changed hands 3 times in the last few years. I used to hear lots of positive stories about Pentax cameras and lenses when they were a Japanese company making film cameras and lenses. Then as a cost cutting strategy, they moved their manufacturing to Vietnam, and the QC suffered, they then hired Samsung engineers to develop their digital products for a while, and they lost the financial battle, and were bought out by Hoya, a company which had no interest in the camera division and only wanted the Pentax name and patents for their scientific and medical products group. Hoya apparently floated Pentax cameras for a couple of years to maintain its resale value and sold it at the first chance they could. During that period, they seem to have had some build quality issues, unfortunately. Ricoh now owns them, but I suspect is barely holding things together, especially after a few missteps like the K01 and the Q, which were rejected en mass by the buying public.

There is no secret agenda, no backstory to spice things up with, just a lemon camera (and it wasn't even yellow) which has not worked correctly since day one, and yes, that is why I am asking for a refund, because it has not worked correctly, it is unreliable and I have never been able to use it for the intended purpose it was purchased for. Let Ricoh take a "loss" on this camera if that is what ends up happening, I am going to take a bath on the lenses. I researched this camera for months prior to selecting it, based upon specs, features and on-line reviews. Too bad those reviews don't include reliability tests, and too bad they do not buy off the shelf versions to test, but rather get one hand selected by the manufacturer sent for review purposes.

Perhaps you think it is excusable to start responding to a mail server failure only over two weeks (or more) after it occurred, but I don't. Maybe you think a service depot shouldn't "need" to correspond with their clients at all during an under warranty repair, for a month and a half or more but I don't. Maybe you think it is OK for a basically unused camera to require a list of repairs, and then be returned with several repairs unaccomplished and newly introduced issues, but I don't. And apparently, neither do some of the other camera manufacturers.

Am I annoyed with this at this point? You bet. I've got better things to do with my time and cash than chase after a defective camera.

I will not be furthering this thread, so here's your chance for another "cheap shot", if you want.

FF
08-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #25
Banned

Sadly, the one thing that does come out loud and clear to me is that there are several people on this forum who are threatened by criticism of Pentax as a product line and they cannot see through their haze.
Who are they and why might they be that way?
There is no secret agenda, no backstory to spice things up with, just a lemon camera (and it wasn't even yellow) which has not worked correctly since day one,
Then it should have been returned on day one. After a while, the consumer is responsible for their own choices. Two years, defective camera, waiting until the warranty runs out?
08-26-2013, 04:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Just an idea here, FreezeFrame, but since you have money already in the lenses, it might be worth considering a good used body (to avoid another hit to the wallet) and continuing on with what you have. For what it's worth, my wife and I have owned a total of ten Pentax digital cameras (six DSLRs and four Qs.) and none have exhibited even the slighted glitch. I think your situation is a rarity.

Also, if you go with another camera brand, you may not be any happier. I had a upper-midrange Canon point & shoot that was factory recalled for a sensor issue. That particular batch of sensors had been used in many models by virtually all manufacturers and all of them had recalled their cameras. One day the sensor pooped out on me just out of warranty, and after doing some checking on the internet, I found out about the recall. I called Canon and was told they wouldn't do anything about it because the recall deadline had passed two days prior. The other manufacturers' recalls had no such deadline. So yeah, technically they were within their right to deny any sort of repair or trade in... but dropping a few hundred bucks on a camera with a known manufacturer defect and then being blown off over two measly days turned me off Canon, and they lost a future customer.

Good luck,
Bob. :-)
08-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #27
Site Supporter

I just took another look at this thread and it occurred to me that an appropriate solution may be for the OP to broaden the scope of his options beyond using this forum to flame Pentax Canada.

Here are a few resources in his home town of Victoria, BC:
How to Make a Complaint (Consumer Protection, BC)

Toll Free: 1 888 564-9963
Phone: 604 320-1667
Fax: 250 920-7181
Email: info@consumerprotectionbc.ca
It is not likely that the province of BC will send him a new camera, but I am sure they will be properly entertained by his complaint. After all, they are being PAID to listen to people's complaints. Or perhaps this route may prove to be more satisfying:
"The Province Newspaper", Letters to the Editor - E-mail: provletters@theprovince.com
It is always good to put one's words out where they will get a proper audience.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-31-2013 at 01:57 PM.
08-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #28
Site Supporter

When I worked in retail we occasionally had a customer that just could not be pleased. This was rare because we really, really did try. But if someone got abusive or it was plain they were either trying to game the system or were just totally unreasonable we would 'fire' them as a customer. Which meant politely but firmly informing them we had exhausted all possible avenues and that perhaps they might be happier with another store. And we would recommend a competitor they might be happier shopping at.

So in that spirit may I politely suggest: http://en.nikon.ca/index.page

And this is not intended as a 'cheap shot' at the OP, just a realistic appreciation of a situation where I think they might be happier with a different brand.
08-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
When I worked in retail we occasionally had a customer that just could not be pleased. This was rare because we really, really did try. But if someone got abusive or it was plain they were either trying to game the system or were just totally unreasonable we would 'fire' them as a customer. Which meant politely but firmly informing them we had exhausted all possible avenues and that perhaps they might be happier with another store. And we would recommend a competitor they might be happier shopping at.

So in that spirit may I politely suggest: http://en.nikon.ca/index.page

And this is not intended as a 'cheap shot' at the OP, just a realistic appreciation of a situation where I think they might be happier with a different brand.
Hah!

I shoot Pentax and not Nikon largely because of a warranty gone south on a lens I owned for less than 24 hours and that went from the retailer shopping bag, to my coffee table, to the camera, back in the bag due to severe misfocus (as in none) and squeal, and straight back to the retailer the next day.

Nikon said I must have dropped it. The retailer said not possible. Simply a dud lens. Nikon ignores retailer and refuses the warranty. This takes 5 weeks. I demand a refund. Retailer takes the loss and sells me a K200D at a substantial discount.

The most discourteous service I ever experienced was with Nikon Canada. They are known to contest many warranty issues with arrogance and have one of the most restrictive warranty and repair policies of any company.

I suspect the K-r is a low volume model and replacement parts and diagnostics are tough to come by. I would simply phone and request a replacement; nearest model to, please.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 09-01-2013 at 06:16 AM.
08-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #30
Site Supporter

And the `please` is the most important part. We would go to great lengths to make someone happy who calmly explained the problem and asked for help. Those who started out yelling and screaming sometimes did not get so much attention

And again no reflection on the OP, just a general statement.