Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I suspect the K-r is a low volume model
High volume, but several years out of production and out of warranty.

09-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect that the OP's situation may be very different from the two repair issues I had with Pentax Canada. In my cases, I was able to contact the Pentax service centre directly by telephone, speak with courteous and helpful staff members, and receive information on the status of my equipment. In one case, when I was nearing the departure date for a trip, Pentax expedited the repair of my K-5 and hustled it over to the retail dealer's main centre in Toronto so they could return it to their store in Ottawa from where I bought the camera. All of the equipment was under warranty and the problems were obvious, so Pentax was fully obliging. I had no issues with their service or customer approach.

In one of the instances, however, I received a reply to an email note some two weeks later - informing me they would pass on my additional information to the service department. By that time, my K-5 had been in the queue for about two weeks. So, lesson learned: do not depend on Pentax (Ricoh) Canada to reply promptly to email queries. Otherwise, no problem.
07-15-2014, 05:07 AM   #33

contact freeze frame with private message

How do i contact freeze frame with a private conversation
07-15-2014, 05:37 AM   #34
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Belcoski Quote
How do i contact freeze frame with a private conversation
Do one more post so you can PM people.

07-15-2014, 05:42 AM   #35

What does PM mean?
07-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #36
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Belcoski Quote
What does PM mean?
Private message. Click on their name and you will get a drop down. Select the one to send a private message.
09-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #37

Photos: Gallery
Repair issues

Hi. This is a request for information about service. Specifically, I have a K-5, with a missing lens release button and computer malfunction when using my Tamron zoom lens (when zooming in or out, camera wouldn't adjust aperture and/or shutter speeds). I was still under warranty (originally purchased from Abe's of Maine) and was directed to use Precision Camera from Enfield, Connecticut. I've been told several times that my K-5 would be sent to "the factory" for service. I sent the camera in to Precision in June (they logged it in on June 10). After 7 calls concerning "where and how is it going?", I've been told that Pentax has been changing over to a new factory service location, which has been delaying repair progress. So, i have a couple of questions.

!. Has anyone ever dealt with Precision Camera? Results?
2. Where is the Pentax factory repair facility? In Golden, CO (Pentax USA HQ}/ Japan?

I'm way beyond frustrated... perhaps more with the repair company than Pentax, but...

BTW, I started with Pentax in film, and still own 3 other Pentax bodies Star (istD, K100 and K10). This is the 1st significant repair issue I've had. How long should I expect to be out of my best camera body?

Thank you

09-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LyleC Quote
Hi. This is a request for information about service.
Hi! Welcome to the Pentax Forums.

This thread is a couple of month old and you may not get much response. I will do my best to answer your questions.

From your description, it sounds like you had a third-party extended warranty. Ricoh/Pentax would not have referred you to Precision Camera in June. The contract at that time was with CRIS in Chandler, Arizona. A summary:
  • Pentax has not had its own U.S. repair facility for several years
  • Up until sometime in August, the contracted Ricoh/Pentax repair facility was CRIS in Arizona
  • In August, CRIS lost the contract to Precision Camera in Connecticut
  • Precision Camera is now the designated Ricoh/Pentax repair facility
  • All work in progress on Pentax cameras was apparently shifted to Precision Camera shortly after the contract change with instrumentation and all unfinished work (cameras) being sent to Connecticut (!)
I know, this is sounding highly irregular at this point. It appears that you originally sent your camera to Precision who then sent it to CRIS. Why it has taken so long is anybody's guess. Where your camera is located is also a matter of conjecture. It sounds like somebody at Precision Camera does not know anything. You may want to contact the consumer protection branch at the Connecticutt Attorney General and CC the message to your contact person at Precision Camera. Do everything in writing, not telephone and reference your original service order number in all correspondence.

Good luck.

Steve
09-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by LyleC Quote
Has anyone ever dealt with Precision Camera? Results?
I have dealt with Precision in the past, for warranty work on another brand, and that experience was not good. I sent that body to them 3x times, it would not autofocus, and they simply could not fix it. I've been considering purchasing the K5-IIs or K3 but I really doubt that will happen, now that I know Precision is part of Ricoh's customer service.