Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #1

Ricoh/Pentax (the company) warranty repair issues

Well, Ricoh Imaging Canada (and Pentax Cameras as a brand) have probably lost me as a customer. I bought my first Pentax camera (a K-r) just over two years ago now. I have owned many film SLRs of several brands over the years, and several digital cameras of a couple of brands both DSLRs and point and shoot/bridge cameras. The K-r has been the worst experience I have had with a camera of any type. Canada has a 2 year warranty, and since I was not using the camera very much due to its quirks and odd behaviours, and I was collecting lenses for it (I bought seven lenses, six of which are Pentax branded) it took me some time to finally send it in for repairs, which I did back in June of this year. Pentax Ricoh Service in Canada had it for a couple of weeks, and replaced quite a bit of the guts in it, calibrated it, cleaned it (somewhat) It was amazing how much “stuff” ended up under the focus screen (I never removed it) and between the LCD screen and the plastic cover on it, considering how little use it got (it spent 98% of it’s time in a camera bag), they loaded new firmware and returned it. They did not attend to several of the defects I had pointed out to them, and it came back with several of the old quirks, and one new one. As my warranty was about to run out, I once again returned it to them in early July.

Unlike the other camera companies I have dealt with regarding warranty repairs (few and far between), Ricoh Imaging, as they now call themselves, does not correspond with their clients to inform them of receipt of the warranty repair item, or about return shipping. Apparently, your camera just shows up one day “fixed” (if you are lucky). Comparing this to Canon Canada, who I recently had a warranty repair to deal with, they acknowledged receipt of the parcel via email, indicated the expected time for repair, had it repaired rapidly, indicated what was done to it, and informed me of the return shipment date with a tracking number, and it came back repaired properly, too!.

Ricoh Imaging Service Canada claims they can need up to 4 weeks for repair time plus shipping time each way. They received my camera back on July 9th, according to the parcel tracking, and it was signed for. On August 8th, over 4 weeks later, I emailed their website contact to ask for a status report, just to make sure they hadn't forgotten about it, since I was hoping to use it during some summer travel. I received no reply. After waiting a week, I found an email address for the service department and emailed them specifically, another week has passed, no reply. I just emailed the "contact" link again a few hours ago, and indicated if I do not get a reply in 5 days or less, I am contacting Ricoh Japan.

In the over 40 years I have been shooting and the dozens of cameras I have purchased and used, this is by far the worst experience I have had with a camera. While it isn't a "pro" model, I usually buy prosumer models, and in fact, I almost always have purchased my cameras second hand, however this was bought brand spanking new and is one of the most expensive cameras I have purchased (nearly $800 with tax at the time, with a kit lens) and I have also invested, as mentioned, in 7 other lenses for it. I have also treated this camera very gently, and have only shot about 1000-2000 images on it, which for me is minimal. It has had problems with focus, exposure, color balance, color rendition, sensor overheating, battery failure, shutter and mirror lock ups, misreads to the card, an intermittent switch, and just about everything that can possibly go wrong with a DSLR. As a result, I suggested to the repair facility twice that they might want to consider replacing it with a K-30, which was supposedly put together "right".

So, here I sit, with 7 lenses and no camera body. No response from Ricoh, and my camera body and kit lens in some type of limbo for the last month and a half. I am NOT a happy camper. I bought this camera originally for its small size and light weight, and internal IS, specifically for traveling, because my other DSLRs are bigger and heavier (Nikon and Canon). It has, in the two years I have owned it, NEVER gone traveling because it has been too untrustworthy to risk using when taking images that cannot possibly be reshot.

Oh, and BTW, when or if it does get returned to me, it will have been out of warranty for over a month.

I've spent a good bit of time trying to find a name and email or phone number for someone in Ricoh management, either for Canada, North America, or even Japan, without success. All I have is their address in Japan and the name of the President of the company.

If anyone has any useful contact information, I would be most grateful. I'm just hoping they haven't lost my camera completely.

FreezeFrame

Last edited by FreezeFrame; 08-22-2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: typos
08-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I hate it that happened to you. I've had a very positive experience with first my Kx, then my K5 and the K-01. One other suggestion is to try contact via their facebook page.

While I doubt they would do a replacement of it with a K30 I do sincerely hope they get it back to you wil all issues fixed, and I would definitely ask about getting that warranty extended due to the times it has spent at their facility. Good luck.
08-22-2013, 08:28 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FreezeFrame Quote
The K-r has been the worst experience I have had with a camera of any type. Canada has a 2 year warranty, and since I was not using the camera very much due to its quirks and odd behaviours, and I was collecting lenses for it (I bought seven lenses, six of which are Pentax branded) it took me some time to finally send it in for repairs, which I did back in June of this year.
So how does a K-r with "quirks" and "odd behaviors" go in for "Repairs"?
Is something broken or not?

Pentax Ricoh Service in Canada had it for a couple of weeks, and replaced quite a bit of the guts in it, calibrated it, cleaned it (somewhat) It was amazing how much “stuff” ended up under the focus screen (I never removed it) and between the LCD screen and the plastic cover on it, considering how little use it got (it spent 98% of it’s time in a camera bag),
Ok, so the quirks and odd behaviors required replacement of quite a bit of the guts in it?

they loaded new firmware and returned it. They did not attend to several of the defects I had pointed out to them, and it came back with several of the old quirks, and one new one. As my warranty was about to run out, I once again returned it to them in early July.
What exactly *was* wrong with the camera?

Unlike the other camera companies I have dealt with regarding warranty repairs (few and far between), Ricoh Imaging, as they now call themselves, does not correspond with their clients to inform them of receipt of the warranty repair item, or about return shipping. Apparently, your camera just shows up one day “fixed” (if you are lucky). Comparing this to Canon Canada, who I recently had a warranty repair to deal with, they acknowledged receipt of the parcel via email, indicated the expected time for repair, had it repaired rapidly, indicated what was done to it, and informed me of the return shipment date with a tracking number, and it came back repaired properly, too!.
Wait... didn't you just say that your Canon and Nikon cameras need repair "few and far between"? So how exactly *do* you make comparisons if your Canikon gear never needs repair? If the K-r is getting repaired for the first time, for "quirks" then how is it any different than your Canikon gear?

Ricoh Imaging Service Canada claims they can need up to 4 weeks for repair time plus shipping time each way. They received my camera back on July 9th, according to the parcel tracking, and it was signed for. On August 8th, over 4 weeks later, I emailed their website contact to ask for a status report, just to make sure they hadn't forgotten about it, since I was hoping to use it during some summer travel. I received no reply. After waiting a week, I found an email address for the service department and emailed them specifically, another week has passed, no reply. I just emailed the "contact" link again a few hours ago, and indicated if I do not get a reply in 5 days or less, I am contacting Ricoh Japan.
These sorts of claim issues must drive the technical folks CRAZY, because they (and we) have no idea what is actually wrong. What usually happens when a claim like this comes in, is the camera is put in a "Does anyone know what is wrong with this?" pile while other cameras with real issues are taken care of first. It's no wonder it takes so long to "repair" a camera with "quirks".

In the over 40 years I have been shooting and the dozens of cameras I have purchased and used, this is by far the worst experience I have had with a camera. While it isn't a "pro" model, I usually buy prosumer models, and in fact, I almost always have purchased my cameras second hand, however this was bought brand spanking new and is one of the most expensive cameras I have purchased (nearly $800 with tax at the time, with a kit lens)
Are you kidding me? You buy prosumer cameras and $800 is one of the "most expensive" cameras you have bought?

and I have also invested, as mentioned, in 7 other lenses for it. I have also treated this camera very gently, and have only shot about 1000-2000 images on it, which for me is minimal. It has had problems with focus, exposure, color balance, color rendition, sensor overheating, battery failure, shutter and mirror lock ups, misreads to the card, an intermittent switch, and just about everything that can possibly go wrong with a DSLR. As a result, I suggested to the repair facility twice that they might want to consider replacing it with a K-30, which was supposedly put together "right".
Ah..now we have the REAL reason for all this! You want a new camera for FREE!
Is there any surprise that Pentax/Ricoh is blowing you off?

So, here I sit, with 7 lenses and no camera body. No response from Ricoh, and my camera body and kit lens in some type of limbo for the last month and a half. I am NOT a happy camper. I bought this camera originally for its small size and light weight, and internal IS, specifically for traveling, because my other DSLRs are bigger and heavier (Nikon and Canon). It has, in the two years I have owned it, NEVER gone traveling because it has been too untrustworthy to risk using when taking images that cannot possibly be reshot.

Oh, and BTW, when or if it does get returned to me, it will have been out of warranty for over a month.

I've spent a good bit of time trying to find a name and email or phone number for someone in Ricoh management, either for Canada, North America, or even Japan, without success. All I have is their address in Japan and the name of the President of the company.

If anyone has any useful contact information, I would be most grateful. I'm just hoping they haven't lost my camera completely.

FreezeFrame
Ugh. I love a good ol' Ricoh bashing as much as the next, but I doubt many people here are going to sympathize with you on the K-r "problems" you are having.

Just go out and buy a K-30. If you like Canikony cameras, buy them instead.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 08-22-2013 at 08:33 AM.
08-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is not a "Technical Troubleshooting" issue appropriate for the Tech Troubleshooting section of PF. Discussion moved to Pentax DSLR Discussion forum.

Mike
PF Moderation Team

Last edited by MRRiley; 08-22-2013 at 10:03 AM.
08-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My experience with the folks at the Pentax repair shop in Mississauga has been quite pleasant so far; but I am only about 20 minutes drive (no rush hour traffic) from there.
08-22-2013, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Wait... didn't you just say that your Canon and Nikon cameras need repair "few and far between"?
This is where I chime in and remind everyone that Pentax frequency of repair (according to Consumer Reports) is the same or better than dSLRs from other makers.

Steve
08-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

While I dislike having to wait so long to get something like a camera fixed, I also don't have much use for someone who expects a company to replace something with a newer model. Up until that point, you were doing OK. Unlike Pentax, I would have responded to you but you wouldn't have liked the response. The camera has a warranty and they are honoring that warranty by fixing it. If they can't fix it, they may even replace it - with another K-r.

As for the warranty issue, I believe the warranty is extended for repair services. Of course had you lived in the US, you would only have had a one year warranty, so count your blessings.

08-22-2013, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

what i dont get is why did you wait the end of the warranty To send it back ? especially considering the amount of lenses you have !

add To that the vague description of the troubles (90% of the question about caméra can be fix with a simple answer : read the manual !).

sorry for the bashing, but this time the blame is for you.

Last edited by MRRiley; 08-23-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: deleting masked obscenity
08-23-2013, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Not all that helpful

This is my reply specifically to LaurenOE, and now to some others. I fully recognize these forums are these communities which often attract life-long fans of the brands they support. My question still stands, who at Ricoh can I contact beyond their repair and customer service in Canada, since they are not responding? Anyone so inclined to forward that progress would be most appreciated.

My reply follows:

I’ve spent a bit of time contemplating if I should reply to your response to my posting.

My experience with fanboys and gals is it is often quite the waste of energy trying to civilly discuss these issues, because they often lack the ability to be open minded enough to even consider that their beloved brand or product may indeed sometimes fail a user, that sometimes companies (and especially companies which change hands numerous times and have hit hard financial times), could do wrong by their client base, or that someone’s experience which was different from their own, could still be honest, valid and fair, even if it shattered some of their long held beliefs.

What even further concerns me, in your case, is that even with the first encounter, you have misrepresented what I posted, misrepresented my intent, been hostile and accusatory, and offered absolutely no helpful information, and that by your stats of 2300 posts in these forums, which I will assume many of which were helpful to others, you are very heavily invested with your time and energy in this community, and my be less able than some to accurately read my post or accept its content.

All of that gives me pause in filling in the details you ask, or rebuffing your misperceptions, inaccurate portrayals, and knee-jerk responses.

However, as a compromise, and to defend my “honour” to some extent, while I am not going to respond to each of your accusations or posted demands, because I only expect they will lead to more demands and more accusations “and sir, when did you stop beating your wife”, I will do the courtesy to myself and others reading this thread, to supply some basics to fill in a few of the “gaps“ you are seeing.

You have made a lot of incorrect and unfair assumptions about me and put a lot of words in my mouth which I did not state by your interpretation of my posting. I will expand upon several few points for the sake of clarity.

1) Each time the camera was returned to Ricoh Canada Service it was enclosed with a lengthy letter explaining, in considerable detail, the nature of and circumstances of the defects I reported. The first time it was a 4 and a half page single spaced typewritten letter (in 12 point font, since you seem to care about every detail) and the second time, only because I was getting close to the warranty end and had to expedite the shipment, a second 3 page letter explaining in detail the new or renewed defects, plus a copy of the earlier letter. I believe I did a reasonable job in my earlier posting of describing the nature of those defects I encountered, in terms of the systems within the camera or the outcome, and that I also did the forum a favour by not cutting and pasting over seven pages of detailed explanations into my posting. I should also mention that besides that correspondence, I made several calls to then “Pentax” Canada’s technical support, and also to the chief technician for Pentax repair service about the difficulties I was encountering starting within a few weeks of getting the camera and throughout the nearly two year period prior to finally shipping the camera in.

2) I own or have owned several dozen cameras, the brands include, Konica, Minolta, Rollei, Hasselblad, Nikon, Canon and Pentax.(those are just the SLRs and DSLRs). I have been shooting for nearly 50 years, so one does go through a bit of gear. I also own point and shoots from other brands. As you can see, I have minimum brand loyalty, and I try to buy what are good value for cost and usually well reviewed products which fit my intended needs at the time. I do the same with cars. I have owned Chevy, Datsun (now Nissan), Honda, Toyota and Mazda vehicles, all have been purchased second-hand. I usually rely heavily on customer and industry reviews and feedback to make these brand and model choices. I recognize at different phases in a company’s “life” they may be making better or worse quality products relative to other brands, and that these aspects ebb and flow. I acknowledge the same occurs with camera companies, and that there are times each company moves ahead in innovation, value for cost, build quality, reliability, and features I want in their products.

I also recognize, for instance, that a company’s reputation can be misused as a selling point when it is no longer deserved. I did not mention in my earlier posting that my experience with my Rollei cameras overall was perhaps, cumulatively, even worse than with Pentax. It was at a time Rollei was cost cutting, and their production was moved to Singapore (from Germany), and the defect rate was massive with their first several releases from those factories. I, relying upon their past product reviews purchased these cameras new. As a result of the continual breakdowns of their cameras while I was travlling in Europe and Northern Africa for a 3 year period, I sustained substantial loss of images. In that case, I actually physically brought my defective cameras to their head offices in Braunschweig Germany, since I was living in Europe at the time, after numerous prior repair attempts in other countries had failed. They ultimately provided me with a “free camera” (to use your term) in compensation for the disaster I had with their products once I had returned to Canada, and that camera was indeed innovative, and well built, and I sold it to a good friend with no guilt about them getting good use from it. Ultimately, it was stolen and by that point Rollei was no longer producing cameras, at least not any sold in Canada, so she receive an insurance settlement and bought another brand. It might have even been a Pentax, I don’t recall now.

3) My cameras have not required a great deal of warranty (or other) repairs on them considering the amount of use they’ve received, and the number of them. I am exceedingly careful and respectful of my equipment and my kit always looks much newer and less used than it actually is. However, that does not stop me from using it to get the images I am after. Obviously, many years ago, I had quite a few dealings with Rollei, but that was pre-internet. In more recent times, I have dealt with Nikon, Canon and Pentax. The Nikon issue was a physical defect in manufacturing and design, which caused a failure on a prosumer film camera which was out of warranty, and it was repaired at a high discount due to the nature of the problem. The Canon was under warranty and was a major electronic defect which involved the replacement of several main circuitboards within the camera. I own four Canon digital cameras, but only one is a DSLR. It is the only camera of that brand that required repair, and is the newest of them. Canon not only acknowledged the defect and appears to have repaired it effectively, but the efficiency of their service department in both communications using email and the internet, and the expediency of the repair were all stellar.

4) You made a rather mocking comment about my use of prosumer product and the amount I have paid for it. Firstly, I am not an equipment junkie who has to own the newest or greatest to feel like a good photographer. Today even most lower end DSLRs are quite capable of producing award winning and stunning images, so I don’t care about the prestige a brand or model may provide. I do care about size and weight, how the equipment feels in my hand, and, of course, the image I am trying to capture existing in some reasonable form once I press the shutter. As I mentioned previously, with few exceptions, the vast majority of my cameras and lenses have been purchased second-hand, particularly in more recent years. I buy gently used cameras and lenses from trusted dealers and individuals. Other than my Pentax K-r and the Canon DSLR which was purchased new, and which, BTW, was bought at considerably less cost than my K-r and is twice the camera in terms of the quality of image I get from it, most of my other SLRs and DSLRs were indeed purchased second hand (the Rolleis were another exception as well, but all but one of the numerous Nikons were purchased used). As an example, about 3 years ago, I purchased a Nikon D80 body, which I would consider a prosumer model. It was a few years old at that point. The one I bought had less than 1000 shutter actuations on it, came with a number of accessories, and it cost me $300 plus tax from a local camera retailer. It came with a 30 day warranty, which I did not need. In build quality, substance, and overall output and predictability, is a superior camera to my K-r, since unlike the K-r I own, when I press the shutter, I pretty much get the image I expected to see, rather than one that is defective in one of several (described in my previous posting) aspects. It also has manifested NO mechanical/electronic defects. Adjust controls, press shutter, write image to card. It also is not a “sealed” camera, and yet in spite of it not even having a sensor cleaning system, I have little to no problem with assorted specks and dust and “stuff” ending up in the interior of the camera, under the focusing screen, or trapped between the LCD screen and its sealed plastic cover, again unlike my Pentax K-r. Again, also, my Nikon D80 has received considerably more use in more extreme conditions than my K-r which has been treated like the fragile, delicate wallflower that it has shown itself to be.

5) I do not consider asking Pentax to replace my obviously defective in both build and design K-r with a camera which *might* perform to specification, (the K-30) as “wanting a free camera“. Quite the contrary, I paid about $785 for my K-r and lens when it was purchased new, which is more than the now heavily discounted K-30 and WR lens are now selling for here. I don’t very much like the look of the K-30, personally, but I am much less concerned with looks than functionality and reliability of a camera. I am not asking for the K-30 and to keep the repaired K-r, I am asking for an exchange of a defective and poorly designed and manufactured camera with one that might be less so. That, to me, is what is called a proper response to a difficulty of this type. It isn’t like my K-r has been sent through the mill, dropped in the mud or dragged by horses and I am now asking for a brand spanking new upgrade. The K-r, when it left here last time, could not be discerned from one which had just come out of the box in its physical appearance, but still was not working properly.

6) Lastly, you provided a lot of innuendo and accusations about me, as well as implying some pretty unsavory intent on my part, which I feel I need to address. For over 15 years I have offered my services to the IT community by assisting them to troubleshoot their digital image related devices. I conservatively estimate I have assisted over 100,000 people during that time, on line and at a distance, and kept tens of thousands of these devices functional at usually almost no cost in materials to the owners other than their time, by providing step by step manuals and personalized help. I have done all of this at no fee to anyone, as a free service. I was also a Microsoft MVP for seven years, with the printing and imagining division before I decided to leave the program due to philosophical differences. If you wish to look up the qualifications to become and be renewed as a Microsoft MVP each year, you can find it by Googling the award program. I also have given numerous lectures and seminars to camera clubs, computer user groups and arts groups about digital imaging, again at no fee.

I do take offense, in spite of your 2300 postings here (let’s just say my posting for the unpaid work I describe above has generated over double that many postings each year) from your characterization of me, and my abilities. I am quite capable of articulating and describing defects in a product, and my free whitepapers and manuals get continual kudos from those who read them, including from other technical writers who make their livings doing that. I also have written instruction manuals for a number of highly engineered products including both software and hardware, one for a well known camera and photography company which has since, sadly gone bankrupt. I have yet to have anyone tell me I am a “nightmare” when it comes to my ability to explain an engineering, mechanical or electronic issue in lay and easily understood language, in fact, quite the opposite.

The fact that you can find the time to write an extensive commentary about my post and about me without once considering that the issues I posted about may actually have some valid points, or that my experience, even if it is different from your own, may have veracity even if it disrupts your belief in a brand, and that in that commentary, besides attacking me for being the messenger of this information, that you provided no assistance regarding the principle question I asked within it, does not, to me, make you a shining example of a helpful individual. Sometimes one has to learn to hold back on a long held belief system and entertain differences of experience and opinion if we wish to be helpful. You posting reads like I called your child “ugly”, rather than that I am relating my experience with a camera and the company which supports it.

If the point of your post was simply to try to diminish me or the content of my post, all I can say is the information I provided was accurate, and I believe thorough enough to explain why I was making the request I did, which was to find out the contacts of some people within Ricoh to discuss my issues with. If you do not know of any such person or people, that’s fair, but your defensive stand for the sake of brand loyalty does little to further the discussion, in my opinion.

If you have had wonderful experiences with Pentax products over the years, that is fine, and I do not question you, your motives or your character for that. However, I find anyone who defends a brand to the death is often not being fully honest. In my case, I made it clear to Microsoft before I accepted the MVP award that I would not promote, or evangelize for them, and I often was one of their harshest critics both internally within the company, and externally in public. I believe some of that effort paid off in some improvements users have seen in some of their products. The reason I left the program after seven years was because they were beginning to try to pressure MVPs to present a more cohesive positive front even when it might not be fully deserved.

One thing that people need to understand about critics. If they are being accurate and fair in their analysis, they serve a useful purpose, which helps everyone, sometimes even the product or companies they criticize. And to be clear, I personally am also as apt to publicly provide kudos for products and companies which do things well.

To finish, from my experience, Pentax/Ricoh is blowing it with their handling of my situation. They have further exacerbated an unfortunately defective product by not repairing it fully, adding new defects from the repairs done, and by ignoring my reasonable attempts, after one and a half months, to try to find out what has happened with my camera after all this time. For a company trying to resurrected a brand which has fallen on hard times (I don’t know about where you live but the penetration of Pentax cameras offered by retailers in my area has shrunk considerably) they appear to be further damaging their “cred” by treating a client as I have been.

I apologize to anyone who considers this posting excessive, but I wanted to clear some of the air created by the comments I am responding to. I am still requesting any information regarding who in Ricoh’s corporate structure I should address my concerns to.

Thank you.

FreezeFrame
08-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is my reply specifically to LaurenOE, and now to some others. I fully recognize these forums are these communities which often attract life-long fans of the brands they support. My question still stands, who at Ricoh can I contact beyond their repair and customer service in Canada, since they are not responding? Anyone so inclined to forward that progress would be most appreciated.

My reply follows:......
Ok, in fairness, I read that ENTIRE response. I gave you about 5 minutes of my life to read that. So, congrats.

I stand-fast in my assessment that you are a NIGHTMARE for customer service.

Rollei, Microsoft MVP and lots of Canon point and shoots are the high points.

You do realize this is the internet, and you could have said in less words that I was full of it, but you didn't.

Wow.

You do realize that I am a "nobody" right? Just some fat chick in Florida that you need not give the time of day to? Right? You do realize you wasted your time, right?

Just so you know, when you prepare a response like the above, and send in pages and pages to folks about a problem, sadly, most people these days do a "TL;DR" and your message is lost.

I must admit, reading your response, I felt like I was in a bar, and some guy kept going on and on about stuff that I was supposed to be impressed by.

I was waiting for the line "Hey, would you like to see my Porsche/Corvette?"

What is sad is that you feel so confident about what you say, and feel entitled to be heard when you speak or write the diatribe that you did.

Yes, in customer service circles, you are going to be blown off. People are going to ignore you because you're so difficult to listen to.

Your K-R and getting contacts to complain to.

The K-r. - Statistically it's impossible for your K-r to have all the problems you are having. Go back and read your response. Metaphor should not be used to describe things that are "broken".

Contacts at Pentax/Ricoh - There is no way anyone is going to help you do your own research. You have poisoned the waters unless someone has sympathy and wants to get drawn into what amounts to a "black-hole-of-customer-service".

I think you might be on your own.
08-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Holy Moly - that's a longer testament than even I could post!!

Last edited by monochrome; 08-24-2013 at 07:23 AM.
08-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It has had problems with focus, exposure, color balance, color rendition, sensor overheating, battery failure, shutter and mirror lock ups, misreads to the card, an intermittent switch, and just about everything that can possibly go wrong with a DSLR.
Looking for a "fixable" problem from this list, I see few.
Focus is user adjustable as are exposure, color balance. Color rendition (Whatever that means). Sensor overheating? is there an error code for that or a display that shows it?
Battery failure? is likely excluded from the camera warranty.
Shutter lock ups and mirror problems seem like real hardware problems.

Misreads "TO" the card? I guess you mean corrupt images read from a card. Solution: Get a new card before you discard the camera!

Intermittent switch: Hard to fix any intermittent problem. Which switch was it, anyway?

Good luck with the bridge repair.
08-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #13
Banned

it took me some time to finally send it in for repairs
A lesson for all to send in a supposedly defective camera ASAP, not at the end of the warranty period.

Ricoh Imaging, as they now call themselves, does not correspond with their clients to inform them of receipt of the warranty repair item
See quote below, where you received tracking info and a signature of their receipt.
They received my camera back on July 9th, according to the parcel tracking, and it was signed for.
I just emailed the "contact" link again a few hours ago, and indicated if I do not get a reply in 5 days or less, I am contacting Ricoh Japan.
Call Ricoh Canada. They have numbers listed. Call any number and ask for the next higher up number. Google.
I have also invested, as mentioned, in 7 other lenses for it.
Why? If you had a bad experience from the beginning, barely used the camera, as you said, why invest in all those lenses to barely use them?
It has had problems with focus, exposure, color balance, color rendition, sensor overheating, battery failure, shutter and mirror lock ups, misreads to the card, an intermittent switch, and just about everything that can possibly go wrong with a DSLR.
I'd have returned it or sent it to Pentax-Ricoh ASAP earlier. I find it hard to believe, really.
Because you, admittedly, didn't send the camera in earlier.

This all seems like a windup for something and unfortunately, the narrative doesn't make sense. You'll get it back, I'm sure, but you'll have to be patient and wait.
08-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I admit I did not bother to read the second post in full. I got as far as `fanboys`. It is always amusing to see outsiders assume Pentax actually has fanboys like other brands. Sorry but we don`t. We spend most of our time bashing rather than fanning.

Freezeframe: if I may politely make a suggestion, start a new thread and in as few words as possible ask if anyone has any contact info for Pentax Canada. Don't mention your multitude of issues or supposed problems because frankly nobody here cares, we have our own problems. That is if your purpose in posting was to obtain the info you need. If all you wanted to do was vent then by all means go ahead and post novels. Maybe Lauren will keep reading.
08-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Sorry but we don`t. We spend most of our time bashing rather than fanning.
I disagree. But that makes no difference to this story and requires no acknowledgement, defense, or explanation here.