Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #16

Using a K100D + SMC M 50/2 when the unit is turned on with SR on. That same exact screen is shown never thought to enter an incorrect focal length though.

03-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentatix Quote
Manual page 67 mention this process as been automated in the latest firmare by automatically adjusting the focal lenght (what you call strenght) to that of the lense.
K10 manual Page 67 : "If the camera uses a DA, D FA, FA J, FA or F lense, the lens information is automatically acquired when the shake reduction fuction is activated"
K10 manual Page 68 "If a type of lens that does not support automatic acquisition of lense information such as focal length is used, the shake reduction menu appears."
No no.. Focal length does not equal strength.

In this mode you can change the focal length and then adjust the strength separately.
03-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Right, it's the little + and - adjustment at the bottom of the screen that is the "new" thing.
03-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #19
BPT
Veteran Member

I am betting increasing the strength would add blur. I suspect it is calibrated for a regular person for each focal length. But if you are a shakey handed individual you can get it to correct more.

03-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

aren't you just manually setting the lens focal length there ? obviosly setting a length short or longer than the lens in use will affect the shake effectiveness basicaly its a case of can we manually set the focal length even if an auto detect lens is attached
03-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #21
BPT
Veteran Member

Look below where you select the focal length, you will see the plus and minus. Compare that where you set the focal length only and you will see it is different
03-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

hm so how do I get into these settings ? I have the firmware version 1.2 its strange that if this is available it does not show up in any options its not that dangerous so they could make it available
03-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #23
BPT
Veteran Member

I cant test it since I dont have the K10D, but from another post I read that they disabled the debug menu in the new firmware

03-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #24
Veteran Member

yea its in the menu but is greyed out so can't be acessed
03-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #25
BPT
Veteran Member

If you are looking in the regular menu (hitting menu when your camera is turned on) that would be a different option then this one. This is accessed through the debug menu, you can get at it so long as the menu hasnt been disabled in the new firmware by following the instructions in the first post in this thread.
03-24-2008, 03:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BPT Quote
I am betting increasing the strength would add blur. I suspect it is calibrated for a regular person for each focal length. But if you are a shakey handed individual you can get it to correct more.
Only one "strength" setting can be correct, whatever be the lens or person. Any other setting will dramatically degrade SR efficiency. A debug menu like this may be useful for a person equipped with measurement equipment

A "wrong" focal length would do the same than a "wrong strength" because the two factors are probably multiplied together. So it may be useful with teleconverters.
03-25-2008, 04:46 AM   #27
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Only one "strength" setting can be correct, whatever be the lens or person. Any other setting will dramatically degrade SR efficiency. A debug menu like this may be useful for a person equipped with measurement equipment

A "wrong" focal length would do the same than a "wrong strength" because the two factors are probably multiplied together. So it may be useful with teleconverters.

Is this something you have tested or is it just an assumption?
What I mean is have you tested increasing the strenght not just changing the focal lenght?
03-25-2008, 05:09 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Perhaps it’s a sensitivity setting? All sensors produce noise and you don’t want the SR system to react on the noise, but as soon as the signal raises over a certain level, then that is a real movement and should be acted upon. Maybe that level is adjustable…..

Last edited by Gimbal; 03-25-2008 at 05:39 AM.
03-25-2008, 05:14 AM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gadget_Guy Quote
What lens did you have connected to the Body when you got this?

I remember reading in that K10d book that Yvon wrote something about this appearing when the lens is an older lens or is a non-auto-focus lens or something like that. (book is at home right now so I can't look it up)

He wrote something about this menu popping up or being available based on the type of lens attached to the body.

D.
Thats right, not cause by the debug mode but probably because he had an old lens that not communicate to the body, i own a K100D an i have the same menu when i install a old lens
03-25-2008, 05:46 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
Is this something you have tested or is it just an assumption?
What I mean is have you tested increasing the strenght not just changing the focal lenght?
I haven't tested it.

But I would be able to code the algorithm for it. And in it would be a term (focal-length * calibrated-x/y-amplitude). The latter depends on the gyro-sensors sensitivies (2 similiar numbers) and for testing purposes, it must be useful to be able to change them in a fully loaded camera to get a good average number to be put into the firmware.