Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K5II or K5IIs

If this has been discussed to death, please send me to the thread(s).
My pusher has the K5II on sale at the moment for a good price, and I am tempted to pick one up. Have the problems that the K5 suffered (AF inaccuracy in low tungsten light, buttons falling off, etc) been put to bed, and is the K5IIs noticeably different in terms of image sharpness with it's lack of an AA filter?
I've recently been shooting with a Fuji X-Pro1, and have been very impressed with the sharpness and level of detail of the images coming off of it, and am wondering if the K5IIs sees a big improvement over the K5II.

thanks

08-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If this has been discussed to death, please send me to the thread(s).
My pusher has the K5II on sale at the moment for a good price, and I am tempted to pick one up. Have the problems that the K5 suffered (AF inaccuracy in low tungsten light, buttons falling off, etc) been put to bed, and is the K5IIs noticeably different in terms of image sharpness with it's lack of an AA filter?
I've recently been shooting with a Fuji X-Pro1, and have been very impressed with the sharpness and level of detail of the images coming off of it, and am wondering if the K5IIs sees a big improvement over the K5II.

thanks
The tungsten AF issue has been fixed, yes. As for the sharpness, the out-of-camera files from the K-5 IIs are going to be very close to those of the K-5 II if you apply a simple unsharp mask algorithm to your K-5 II files. In other words: there's a difference, but in practice, it's very subtle.

In my opinion, the difference in price is better spent on lenses, as I'm also not a big fan of moire. The K-5 IIs doesn't support in-camera moire correction, so if you see it you will have to deal with it in post.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Here's a couple :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/224380-k5-k5-iis.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/226999-k-5-iis-moi...otography.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/211540-k-5-vs-k-5-ii-vs-k-5-iis.html

This one's really helpful:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/230206-k5ii-v...ce-tested.html

The gist of that one is that, like Adam said, a little unsharp mask can make either camera hard to distinguish, but enhancing an image from the AA-filtered II will also make noise and some other nastiness more apparent.

I have the IIs, but it was an upgrade from a K-r, which was a bit more of a jump. It's sharp, all right. That's all I can say.
08-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If you like the results from the fuji camera I think you will be far happier with the results from the K5IIs, rather than the K5II. Many of the physical issues present in the original K5 have been addressed - and Moire isn't as big an issue as people make it out to be, especially if you have tools like the moire removal tool in LR5.

08-24-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you like what you're getting from the Fuji X-Pro1, I think you'll enjoy the similar results from the IIs (based on the X-Pro1 photos I've seen).

The colors are slightly more dull on the IIs compared to the II or original K-5, for some reason. But the sharpness is there, and it's beneficial because it shows up in the JPEGs. For example, in sports photography it's often impractical to shoot (and then later have to process) RAW files - especially if you want to publish the photos quickly. I've noticed that I'm much more likely to be able to read the small print on runners' bibs when I shoot with my IIs (compared to my original K-5). In both cases I'm using the same top Pentax primes (e.g. FA*85, F*300). Part of this can also be attributed to the improved AF on the IIs, but definitely not all of it.
08-24-2013, 03:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For me the main attraction of the K-5 II is the new AF assembly and system: - the -3EV sensitivity of the AF (meaning AF virtually in pitch-dark plus better AF performance with teleconverters) , the removal of the AF tungsten issue, and possibly the new AF tracking features.

Those are the sort of things actively making me think about adding a K-5II to my camera bag.
08-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #7

k5IIs! No doubt! k5II has no siginificant change to k-5!
09-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I would get the K511S. A friend recently bought one. Very happy. I have a K-5. Bought new Nov. 2011. Excellent camera. No buttons of yet have fallen off and it has received heavy use.