Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Eenie Meenie Miney Moe...Which camera do I go with!

Hi
I am new to the forum - just found in in my camera research. I have an old Pentax istDS that I love(d). About a year and a half ago I purchased a Sony A55. I love many features of the camera (such as the size, and the 10xpics with one click to catch my kids who constantly move), which is why I decided to try it, but have had SO much trouble with it - it is very buggy, overheats, freezes and they don't make that model any more. Recently the thingy where you insert the memory card broke - so it is basically useless unless I spend $250+ to have them fix it. So I dug out my old istDS which I loved and never had any issues with....except the lack of back viewfinder and battery life. I am by no means a pro....I use for mainly pets, kids, kickin around. I like that pentax has in general a smaller body, as does sony. SO I am in the market again. I have been kicking around the idea and have narrowed to a Nikon D series or a Pentax K5 or K30.
I would love any input anyone has to help me with my decision!
THanks
Carol

08-24-2013, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-30 if you're going Pentax... D3200 if your going Nikon... but make sure it's a good fit in your hand first. It's a pretty small camera for anyone with big hands. Personally I think you get more for your money with a K-30, especially since you can use your kit lens from your *ist and get a primes, say a 35 2.4 or a 55-200 for more reach. You didn't say what lenses you have for your *ist, but having a lens that would work on the camera already is always a factor for me. On the other hand, I have a friend who went for a D3200 and 18-200 zoom, and is quite happy with it, despite that it doesn't do everything a K-30 does. You only miss features if they're things you'd use. HDR and bracketing are probably not of interest to a lot of users. The fact that a camera does or doesn't have those features is not of interest to a lot of users. I vaguely remember that my friends camera didn't do one of those things... but whatever it was, the D5200 probably has it if you want it.

OK, now I'm rambling... buy the K-30 body only and a 55-200 if you can't find them as a kit, if you can afford it and can't find it as part of a kit you can buy it separately. (currently $99 at henry's in canada.) . People on a Nikon forum could probably tell you better what to buy in a Nikon and why.

Last edited by normhead; 08-24-2013 at 09:23 AM.
08-24-2013, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard. The K-30 is a killer deal right now. The only downsides over the K-5 are lack of a possible grip and 12-bit vs 14-bit. It's a huge step up from you istDS and offers you a load of options plus it has a nice burst rate for those pesky moving kids If I were in your position I'd buy the K-30 and enjoy it.
08-24-2013, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
Yos
Veteran Member

Another +1 for the K-30. It's just at an amazing price atm. My K-30 been a dream ever since I got it and I am sure it will feel just right in your hand comparing to Nikon D models which my small hands are not comfortable with. And you can use your old lens/lenses from the *ist which is a plus as well.
Good luck with your pick!

08-24-2013, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

have both K-5 and K-30
90% use K-30 ( faster, lighter,smaller, use AA batteries ) , only if need silent shutter or have desire for better gription with battery grip while using heave lenses use K-5
go for K-30 while still available
08-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ok so now I am sold on the K 30 - thanks. Now - do I get the 18-135 lens or 55-300 bundle ( I have my 18-55 non WR from my IST)? I am currently using an 18-250 on my Sony so I wonder if going with the 18-135 will be a huge difference.....
And is the WR component on the lens a huge difference I wonder??? WR Seems kind of hard to find on anything beyond the 18-55 so I wonder how useful or cool it is?????
Thanks - this is great forum!

Last edited by cperry; 08-25-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: add info
08-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cperry Quote
Ok so now I am sold on the K 30 - thanks. Now - do I get the 18-135 lens or the 18-55 and 55-300 bundles? I am currently using an 18-250 on my Sony so I wonder if going with the 18-135 will be a huge difference.....
And is the WR component on the lens a huge difference I wonder??? WR Seems kind of hard to find on anything beyond the 18-55 so I wonder how useful or cool it is?????
Light weight and functional.. 18-55 and 55-300, the perfect starter package.
All in one lens, Sigma 18-250.. put it on the camera and forget it.
Better quality but staying away from the expensive pro-gear - 18-135 plus 55-300. With the 18-135 weight is becoming an issue.

If you start talking top of the line lenses and primes, it all gets so complicated. I'm trying to keep this simple.

The DA 18-135 WR is a wonderful lens and WR, but ti's not long enough to keep you from probably wanting something longer. But check your Sony shots and see how many you took over say 150mm, that would tell you better than we can how much you'd miss the extra range.
08-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by cperry Quote
Ok so now I am sold on the K 30 - thanks. Now - do I get the 18-135 lens or 55-300 bundle ( I have my 18-55 non WR from my IST)? I am currently using an 18-250 on my Sony so I wonder if going with the 18-135 will be a huge difference.....
The DA* lenses are also weather resistant, though they don't say it. See comments in this guide: Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
"DA* Lenses: The DA series includes a number of "star" lenses (DA*) with top notch optical and mechanical engineering. All DA* lenses have the Quick Shift focusing system and - despite not having the WR designation - are also weather sealed."

DA* are high end (i.e.: expensive) lenses. But at least you know there are more weather resistant options than just the kit lens.